One of a ... Very Large Array

sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited January 5, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
This is my shot from a visit with kdog to the VLA site in New Mexico. As Joel mentioned in his thread, I was trying to get close to this big one and got a few shots off before a truck drove up with two scruffy guys and I immediately noticed the White federal license plate. So my heart dropped down to my pants as I recalled the story Joel just told me 5 minutes earlier about his experience trespassing on government property. On top of that I'm thinking of my Israeli background and things like waterboarding and electric shocks bounced around in my head... well I'm exaggerating a bit ... they just asked me if we worked there and asked me to step back behind the tracks ...

First one is the shot I was looking for with the clouds looking like the radio waves being captured by the Antenna.

Second one is a black and white treatment using nik silver efex (just started playing with it).

1143865149_wDsGz-XL.jpg

1143865201_UQmiK-XL.jpg

Comments

• schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    lol3.gif Your story is great and I am glad the story ended well. I love the b/w shot as it really looks like the clouds are going in (or out) from the dish.

So do they allow people to photograph this as long as you're far enough away?
  • sgonensgonen Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    schmoo wrote: »
    lol3.gif Your story is great and I am glad the story ended well. I love the b/w shot as it really looks like the clouds are going in (or out) from the dish.

So do they allow people to photograph this as long as you're far enough away?
    Thanks, yes they seemed to have no problem of us taking shots as long as we followed the rules ... although bear in mind this was Christmas day - the place was deserted except for the two guards.
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Love the story -- Glad nothing happened to ya :D

I too like the BW one. Shows off the cloud much more. Looks like it's either sucking in vapor or letting it out .. neat look. Makes the imagination run wild.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    Ha, there it is. I'm still jealous of that perspective. Here's you, getting busted. I'm glad I didn't have to bail you out.

1146090809_8cmFE-L.jpg
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Ha, there it is. I'm still jealous of that perspective. Here's you, getting busted. I'm glad I didn't have to bail you out.

1146090809_8cmFE-L.jpg

Nice to photograph the moment rolleyes1.gifD
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Nice shot indeed really like the BW treatment.

:hideYou know the the dishes are actually emitting the clouds
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/