First time DSLR Setup

bsclark_1bsclark_1 Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 3, 2011 in Cameras
Hey gang,

I have been using a Fuji S5200 Digicam for quite some time, and am ready to take the plunge into the DSLR world. Can you please recommend a setup for a first-time user? I'd love to get a body, 18-55 lens, and maybe a 55-200. I'd like to stay as close to $500 as possible, but definitely want quality products that I can grow with.

Obviosly, the 55-200 lens would be the first thing to go if I can't get in this price range.

Any help would be appreciated. Currently I'm leaning towards a Canon 40D, but that could be out of my price range.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Might check around for used bodies and lenses or lenses from say....Sigma, tokina or Tamron....less expensive than cam mfg'ers lenses.

If you have a sams club...they were selling canon Ti1 or 2 with 2 lenses and bag for around $600 or so.......

Nikon would have some good stuff also....I am not familiar with anything below the D300 but I heard good things about the D7000.......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    +1 for lookin at used bodies. You can find a great condition, low miles setup often with some little extras in your price range.

Ive heard great things about the D7000 too, but the body alone is about double what your lookin for. My D5000 has served me well, and with the 2 lenses you listed, can be found in your price range.
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    500$ is a tight budget. 40D is a good camera but likely a good 40D body will cost that on its own. Older kits are available; look for one with a good lens because the lens will stay with you when you have enough money to buy a newer body. Any body from Nikon or Canon above 6M should do for starting.

Good luck!
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Ebay completed sales
    The way to get a handle on how much cameras (or any other gear) are selling for is to do an eBay search for completed sales.

1. Sign into eBay
    2. Navigate to Cameras, Digital Cameras, (and in our case) Canon
    3. Select "ADVANCED" which is to the right of the green search box
    4. Enter camera type in which you are interested into the "ENTER KEYWORDS OR ITEM NUMBER" box
    5. Scroll down the page until you come to the "SEARCH INCLUDING" section and select "COMPLETED ITEMS"
    6. Scroll down further and select the blue "SEARCH" box

This will give you a list of completed sales of the item you have selected from the past several weeks.

In your case...

I found several 450D cameras and lens sets which have sold for under $500

I found no 500D cameras which sold within your price range

I found several 30D bodies under $400 and several bodies with lenses under $500

I found that most 40D bodies alone sold for well over $400

The only decent lens which I could find to complete a 30D package for under $500 and perhaps (if you are lucky) a 40D package for under $550 would be the 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS kit lens which is not a bad lens and a very good lens for the price...

BTW: If I were given the choice between a less expensive (older) camera (except the 300D) with a better lens and a more expensive (newer) camera with a lesser quality lens, I would pick the first option hands down. IMO lenses make the image quality. I happily shoot with a pair of older cameras: 30D and 40D but, combine them with top-line lenses which provides me with excellent image quality.

However... I do like my 40D quite a bit better than my 30D. If you could stretch your budget to include a 40D, it might be worth the extra savings...
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Adorama has quite a few refurbished setups right now for less than $500. If you really wanted new, Sony has a kit in that range. I think the Pentax K-x is around there, too. Plus, that one comes in every color of the rainbow. :D
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Is $500 your total for everything? That's pretty tight with two lenses.

I know you say you want something you can "grow into", but you're willing to start with a Rebel you can probably pick up a used XSi for $350-400 and it's a terrific camera packed with a LOT of features. There's a bit of snob value against it because it's an entry-level slr, but it's a capable picture-taking machine - I still use mine as a 2nd/backup body even though I have a 7d. Yes, it's a Rebel, yes it's plastic construction (vs the XXd magnesium alloy), no the handling isn't as good as on the XXd/Xd cameras because it doesn't have the 2nd spin-wheel, but it still takes great pictures and is a lot of camera in an affordable package. Given you have a pretty tight budget, you could do worse than look for one and if you get lucky might be able to squeeze that telephoto lens into the picture too. thumb.gif

PS Don't confuse the XSi with the XS - they are NOT the same.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    $500 for the whole kit. Well, a 40D is already $100 over that, and now you have nothing to put on the end of it. Buy a used 10D, Rebel XT, something like that (other brands' equivalents are fine) and put the majority of your money toward lenses. For the telephoto zoom either a 55-250 or a 100-300 USM... I don't know much about the 18-55, other than Tamron makes a 17-50 with a nice 2.8 aperture for ~$300. Do you know the basics, like why the 2.8 on the Tamron is nice? Getting good knowledge will do more for you than a $5000 camera willthumb.gif
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Here's a used Nikon D70 on eBay in your budget range ($429.00 Buy-it-Now.) The D70 is a great camera, and the 18-70 is a fine lens.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Pentax K-x with 18-55 and 55-300 is probably the best two-lens kit you can buy, as far as the lenses are concerned, and is in your price range.

The high-ISO capability of the K-x is unmatched in the entry DSLR range.
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    You mean the Pentax 55-200? I hear it's pretty good.
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    You mean the Pentax 55-200? I hear it's pretty good.

Nope. The 50-200 is ok for what it is, but the DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 is really quite nice. The one they sell in the kits is the lighter model with a plastic mount, but same optics. The two lens kit was under $600 a few places before the holidays, now it is $649 at b&h.
  • FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    I'd sell a few things and come up with a little more money.

Used D80 and a used Tamron 17-50 f2.8 for around $600-650

buy the Sigma 50-150 f2.8 when you save up more $$

Go sign up at fred miranda if you haven't already. Their buy and sell area is great place to see what you can get for your money.

good luck thumb.gif