7D firmware update, I have a problem.

davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
edited January 3, 2011 in Cameras
I updated the firmware on my 7D a couple of days ago.
Everything went fine ... until I put my 300 f2.8 lens on it.

For some reason, the camera will no longer microadjust for this lens, with or with out tc's.

When I say this, I can change the mircoadjustment, but when I go to the Peripheral illumine. correct, even though
it's Enabled, the screen says "Correction Data Unavailable"

It works on my other lens, well, at least a couple of the others that I put on it.
As far as I know, everything that needs to be enabled, is.

Could this be because Canon has a new 300 f2.8 coming out, so they forgot to include the older model?

If anyone else has this combo, could you check to see if you's is working properly.

Thanks.
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 2, 2011
    Specifically which firmware did you update to and where did you download the firmware from?

Edit: Also, how many lenses have you used the micro-adjust on?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Specifically which firmware did you update to and where did you download the firmware from?

Firmware 1.2.3
    I followed the link from dgrin in the firmware updates thread.

How many lenses, I'm not sure, maybe 8.

I just tried my 100-400, that one doesn't work either.

I have the lens set to plus 5 (the 100-400)
    1144647127_PfGsM-L.jpg

and with PIC enabled, I get this.
    1144647132_Zcg6c-L.jpg

This is from my 15-85, probably the last lens that I adjusted.

1144656080_XADoN-L.jpg

1144656122_Yry9j-L.jpg

I changed nothing, no switches from one lens to the other.
    Why would one show that the data is available, and the other one isn't.
    What am I missing?
    dave.

edited January 2, 2011
    The camera will only accept 40 lenses in its database at a time. In order to change which lenses are supported:

Download the latest "EOS Utility" and install it. Connect the 7D via USB and start the EOS Utility.

1) Click on the [Camera settings/Remote shooting].

2) Click [Lens aberration correction] or [Peripheral illumin. correct.] (It's in the little camera tab.)
    For cameras where [Peripheral illumin. correct.] is displayed in the menu, only lens peripheral illumination correction data is registered or deleted.

3) The [Register lens aberration correction data] window or [Register peripheral illumination correction data] window appears. Lenses for which correction data is registered in the camera are shown checked.

3a) Window names that will appear and data to be registered in the camera differ depending on the camera, however, the following steps are the same.

4) Click the lens category for which you want to register correction data.

5) A list appears showing only the selected lens category. Select the lens for which you want to register correction data and then click the [OK].

6)The correction data for the selected lens is now registered in the camera.

NOTE
    For a list of the [Register lens aberration correction data] window or [Register peripheral illumination correction data] window functions, refer to the Software Instruction Manual (included on the CD-ROM) that came with your camera.
    Lens names displayed in the [Register lens aberration correction data] window or [Register peripheral illumination correction data] window may be partially shortened depending on the lens type.
    REFERENCE
    The lenses that can be registered are the same as those for lens aberration correction when Digital Photo Professional is used.
    ziggy53
    edited January 2, 2011
    Note: Before you do the above be sure to make a note of any user settings as changing the lens database can affect the user settings.
    ziggy53
    edited January 2, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Note: Before you do the above be sure to make a note of any user settings as changing the lens database can affect the user settings.

Ziggy, Thank you very much.

As I looked at the list that appeared, a ton of lenses were listed, but very few of mine were checked.

I didn't do a screen save on the 7D, but I did for my 5DMKII.
    That camera was as screwed up as the 7D.

I wonder how many others think that the lens they are using is corrected when it really isn't.

This came about cause I went shooting today, and out of 400 shots, I'm lucky if 15% of the shots are in focus.
    It's kind of weird cause I thought the 5DMKII was acting up also, I just didn't know where or what to check.

These are the lenses that were checked for my 5DMKII
    1144720569_oYPki-O.png

These are the lenses that I actually own.
    1144720610_vydJX-O.png

Thanks again.
    dave.

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 3, 2011
    I doubt the camera needs the lens correction data for a particular lens in order for the AF micro-adjustment feature to work on it. My guess is that they're completely separate functions. For one thing, the correction data is a JPG feature and doesn't apply to Camera RAW, while the micro-adjust affects RAW and JPG. Plus it seems unlikely the camera would fool you into thinking you've calibrated your lens when you didn't.
    edited January 3, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    I doubt the camera needs the lens correction data for a particular lens in order for the AF micro-adjustment feature to work on it. My guess is that they're completely separate functions. For one thing, the correction data is a JPG feature and doesn't apply to Camera RAW, while the micro-adjust affects RAW and JPG. Plus it seems unlikely the camera would fool you into thinking you've calibrated your lens when you didn't.

I'm pretty sure that what you said is correct; that the AF Microadjust and [Lens aberration correction/Peripheral illumination correction] are separate and unrelated functions. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    edited January 3, 2011
    Yeah, I'm sure you guys are right.

I have to go back to square one with this camera.
    It seems like I'm getting many less keepers out of this camera for some reason.
    I don't think it's me, but I guess it could be.
    When I get some time, I'm going to have to run a few tests on a tripod to verify that the camera is OK.

Thanks for the help.
    dave.