First Try with Senior Portraits

LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in People
After a chilly weekend in Milwaukee with one cousin, I was off to Texas the next to stay with family for the holidays, where my aunt asked me to shoot senior portraits for another cousin. Having never done senior photos before, not knowing him as well as I do other cousins, and having never shot young men in my personal work (something I really didn't realize until now), I was a bit panicky.

Add to that the fact we accidentally left my grandmother's (with a family entourage) before presents were opened, so we had to cut the session short just as the light was getting good. For presents. :lol3

Posing men is a bear! Even though I studied posing ideas ahead of time, I utterly blanked in the chaos of the moment. Any ideas I'd had ahead of time were killed when he refused to bring his football jersey and when we didn't make it to a location I'd had my heart set on. How do you manage teenage boys? :huh

Anyhow, it was quite a learning experience, but I obviously have a ways to go. Feedback certainly welcome and appreciated!

1. Stealing Mitchell's garage-lighting technique...
1142649397_ijcWb-L.jpg

1142660355_FP8Qx-L.jpg

1142664521_a7mDe-L.jpg

1142675741_Lkq8f-L.jpg

1142682585_7mZsp-L.jpg

1142741641_KHCDH-L.jpg

1142686850_858YL-L.jpg

1142704030_9iCmR-L.jpg

9. This and the next are my favorites--near the end of the session when he was tired of being goofy and my family finally stopped teasing him (the secret to getting great smiles from him, apparently!).
1142711065_Ccc9S-L.jpg

1142714349_vXbag-L.jpg

1142736397_gi52m-L.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :thumb

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2011
    Not a bad first attempt, I really like number nine.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    I like #6 and #8, 9 is good too. :-)

Why did he refuse to bring his jersey?
    Canon Fan
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    #6 & #11. Good masculine images. You may have panic'd but you didn't ferget yer stuff!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    I like #10 and the subtle vignetting. Good shots.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    6 and 10
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Llywellyn,

Teenaged boys indeed are the toughest of customers. If he was agreeable to the photos at all then you were extremely lucky....as many are "into it" for about 15 minutes flat. Yikes!eek7.gif

Of the set Im not really digging 5 and 7. In both, his shoulders are square to the camera and the Background is in much sharper focus than most of the others.

And of the others there are a couple more where his shoulders are square to tha camera but in those you shot more parallel to the BG and used a shallow DOFthumb.gif.

I think having the shoulders quartered away from the camera as in #4 is much more flattering and relaxed looking.

That said... #10 is my favorite of the set....despite the shoulders being squared up, I find it to be dynamic. His eyes are open, he looks very relaxed, I like the background. I hope the original capture lends itself to a 5x7 and 8x10 crop....as the hands here are already getting nipped.

Nits?...

-I see lint(?) up around his right shoulder in 8 , 9, and 10.

-I think the blue printwork on the undershirt where visible in the portrait detracts from the images. There are a couple where it doesnt show, and these appear a tad more formal....but still not "stuffy formal".

Overall, I think you did well. I have at least one senior guy each year that is a real toughy. These shoots can suck out all yer confidence and leave you feeling as though you should take up wood carving or basket weaving. The important thing when you find yourself in the middle of a shoot like this is to keep the guy involved and entertained so he doesnt quit on you too soon, and as always.....remember the basics of what makes a solid portrait. Shoot from slightly above, let the eyes be the focus of the image, keep shoulders at slight angles from the camera, defocus the background. Incorperating all that into one or two frames can get you back on track.

thumb.gif
  • LlywellynLlywellyn Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,186 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Thank you for the comments and feedback, y'all! It's very helpful now that I've had time to recover and reflect on the session. thumb.gif

TenThirteen, I have no idea why he refused to bring his jersey other than he's a teenager. lol3.gif He may have been tired of it? He just wrapped an incredible season; I believe they were district champions. Perhaps he simply wanted a break from it. ne_nau.gif

Jeff, thank you for the detailed comments! bowdown.gif This was the toughest session I've had so far, and I did contemplate other artistic pursuits soon after. :D Should I indeed decide to go down this treacherous, teenaged road, you've given me some great tips for the future. Sincerely appreciated.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    How did I manage to miss this thread?! Boy, you've been busy of late! thumb.gif

I really like 9 and 11 - he seems so much more relaxed in these, as you said. I quite like his expression in #1, too, although it's running a little bright on my monitor(s) - what happens with a little more contrast to increase the detail in the camera right side of his face?

I'm no expert on seniors so can't offer detailed c&c, but I think you did well to get a fair bit of variety along with a couple of excellent shots. All the teenage boys I know would be nightmares to shoot since they're about as cooperative as an untrained puppy, so brava to you! clap.gif