Options

PSE9 - Layer Mask not working :o(

OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Finishing School
I far as I know, I am doing everything correctly...

1st - I copied my background layer twice, so I now have three layers.

2nd - I have made obvious changes to the middle layer.

3rd - I selected my top layer and added a mask.

4th - I made sure that the "mask was selected and my foreground brush was set to black.

I painted over the layer mask in the top layer to reveal the adjustment I made to the middle layer, but no matter how much I paint nothing happens.

My brush size is OK.

Opacity is set to Normal and 100%

What am I missing?

While I am waiting for an answer, I will be over there :bash
Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 2, 2011
    Make sure the brush you are using is set to Normal Blending mode, not one of the other Brush blending modes. I get caught by that frequently.

You are using a white brush also, I assume?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 3, 2011
    OhEddie wrote: »
    I painted over the layer mask in the top layer to reveal the adjustment I made to the middle layer, but no matter how much I paint nothing happens.

headscratch.gif Hmmm...it sounds like what you are doing should work in PS, though I don't know about PSE. Besides the suggestion that PF gave, the only thing that occurs to me is that perhaps layer 2 is not set to be visible. If you could post a screen shot of the layers palette, I think it would be easy to sort out.

BTW, it might be a little simpler to do this if you just add an entirely black mask to your adjusted layer (2) and paint it with a white brush to reveal the adjustments. That way you don't need the third layer at all, though there are some cases in which you might want it.
  • Options
    OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Ok, I am sorry for all the trouble. I don't know what changed. I just opened the file again and it worked just like it was suppose to.

What I have been trying to do is smooth out some skin tones by applying a Gaussian blur to the layer below my layer mask. Brushing over the facial areas to let the blur show and then adjusting the amount of blur with the opacity slider.

I am glad it is working now, and if I ever figure out what was going on I will be sure to let everyone know.

Thanks so much for all of the responses. :D

Eddie
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.