Anna's portraits...

zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
edited January 6, 2011 in People

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Beautiful skin.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Great series, I bet she loves them. Your selection of pp for each photo was impeccable!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Wow. awesome set of images. Not to mention a very nice model, too. thumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    I really like the sample image, and the gallery is really a amazing set of looks and processing options.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Well done!
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 3, 2011
    Nothing short of WOW! For some reason, I keep going back to number 22 in the gallery
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Great creative set....
    I'm sure she is very happy with them
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
  • NihilationNihilation Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Not what I expected. Very cool.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    Very inspiring as always, Mike. All the shots have such a great attitude. I absolutely love that you keep your EXIF info intact. I wish everyone would do that. It is a photography site after all. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Albert DicksonAlbert Dickson Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Way to go Mike. Lots of great looks. She should be thrilled with those. Thats the best shoot in that alley I've seen yet.
    Albert
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Thanks for all the comments, appreciate you having a look and taking the time to comment.
    Hi Albert...yes that is a pretty popular alley. Each time I go there I try to find a new look for it.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Yeah ... kinda knew that you nailed it even BEFORE I checked out your gallery! Your work is amazing, and I always enjoy looking at your photos .... one question though ... what's up with that "third" lip. I didn't notice anything special in any other photos, but in the pic you posted it looks like her lip is divided in 3? Or is that her tongue?
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    My picks on a first look-through are 10, 20, 31 and 88. Cropping, processing and model look best to me in these. Once again, I don't agree with your choice of masthead image. I'm not completely convinced by the clothes combination, though in small doses it is effective enough, but after 90+ images I began to feel that she was as stuck in that jacket as she was to the wall and pavement. Some individual shots are striking, but something is lost in the repetition of a lot of sameness. I don't know if you did any editing of the gallery? If you truly mean it to be a showcase, rather than the full shoot for the client to take their pick out of the lot, I think the impact would benefit from editing.

I wonder if the quality of the lighting could have also been varied? It seems to me to have been pretty constant throughout. I can imagine great play between the graffiti and model-clothes in more selective lighting eg more highlighting of graffiti shapes and colours and interplay between them and posing and cropping, dramatic shadows, lowlight shots with flash - that face emerging out of a tangle of graffiti caught in a spotlight, yes!

Still, for me, a lot to envy and emulate in what you have done!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 5, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »
    Yeah ... kinda knew that you nailed it even BEFORE I checked out your gallery! Your work is amazing, and I always enjoy looking at your photos .... one question though ... what's up with that "third" lip. I didn't notice anything special in any other photos, but in the pic you posted it looks like her lip is divided in 3? Or is that her tongue?

HA! I didn't see it that way. Angie, those are her teeth. Look at #44. The B&W rendering didn't help that aspect, did it?
    John :
    edited January 5, 2011
    Agnieszka wrote: »

Thanks Angie,
    Third lip ne_nau.gif.
    Not sure what you are seeing I guess.
    Appreciate you having a look and taking the time to comment.
    edited January 5, 2011
    NeilL,
    Your comments in this thread and the last one seem kind of out of left field to me.
    Again this photoshoot was all natural light and again you are commenting on changing the lighting and using spotlights, not applicable.
    The suggestions you made for shots sound garish and tacky to me.
    Yeah a couple changes of wardrobe would have been good but she did not bring any other outfits I liked for shooting in that alley.
    Sure I could post what I think at the best 20 or so, what fun is that? I have already demonstrated that I am incapable of picking the best images....I find it impossible to pick the shots that other people will like best....so I put all my favorites in there.
    In two hours I took 566 pictures of this girl, with two cameras and two different lens combinations. About 500 of them came out just right and were keepers....believe me it was very painful cutting it down to the number that are in the gallery :).
    For me portrait shoots are not get ready pose and shoot, there is no start and finish to a photo. I put her in the frame where I want her and I tell her to just move and I interact with her and I shoot her when I see something I like.
    To each his own, but clearly you and I do not see things the same photographically...which is good really....I enjoy your comments even if they do seem to be out of left field :).

Thanks Icebear,
    Anna is a sweetheart and very attractive. She is a dancer and a contestant in the Miss Idaho beauty pageant. I believe she had braces when she was younger and as a result her teeth are not perfectly white, so this may be some of what Angie is seeing.
    edited January 5, 2011
    You've really got it going with the dancers!
    John :
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    thumb.gif Very inspiring. i liked what you said in the last comment about placing the model in the spot and just letting them move. No doubt, some subjects need coaxing but I can see from my own experience that it's easy to be too much of a control freak especially with shots like these which depend so much on spontaneity.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    As someone that wants to do more portraiture work I am humbled by your work. I looked through your entire album and there are some I really liked but there were none that I could find fault with.
    Awesome set thumb.gifthumb
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    NeilL,
    Your comments in this thread and the last one seem kind of out of left field to me.
    Again this photoshoot was all natural light and again you are commenting on changing the lighting and using spotlights, not applicable.
    The suggestions you made for shots sound garish and tacky to me.
    Yeah a couple changes of wardrobe would have been good but she did not bring any other outfits I liked for shooting in that alley.
    Sure I could post what I think at the best 20 or so, what fun is that? I have already demonstrated that I am incapable of picking the best images....I find it impossible to pick the shots that other people will like best....so I put all my favorites in there.
    In two hours I took 566 pictures of this girl, with two cameras and two different lens combinations. About 500 of them came out just right and were keepers....believe me it was very painful cutting it down to the number that are in the gallery :).
    For me portrait shoots are not get ready pose and shoot, there is no start and finish to a photo. I put her in the frame where I want her and I tell her to just move and I interact with her and I shoot her when I see something I like.
    To each his own, but clearly you and I do not see things the same photographically...which is good really....I enjoy your comments even if they do seem to be out of left field :)

One of the challenges of critiquing this genre is to distinguish appreciation of the model and appreciation of the image. A beautiful model does not necessarily make a beautiful image notwithstanding that the image is beautiful to look at.eek7.gifD

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Zoomer, Can't say enough about this. Sure, some people can nit pick, but as a body of work, most excellent!

One question, I love the creative expressions from her. Was she a bit of a natural? Did you have to direct her a lot or just let her go?

thanks for the post.
    Jim
    edited January 6, 2011
    fjcvisual wrote: »
    Zoomer, Can't say enough about this. Sure, some people can nit pick, but as a body of work, most excellent!

One question, I love the creative expressions from her. Was she a bit of a natural? Did you have to direct her a lot or just let her go?

thanks for the post.
    Jim

Thanks fjcvisual, appreciate you taking the time to comment.
    Yeah a natural, she did her thing and I clicked the shutter once in a while.
    We are going out again this weekend to an old abondoned building I found to get some dance shots. Should be fun!