Cecil ...in Texas

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in People
Some of you may remember a photography project I embarked on last year involving my father in alaw and an antique medium format camera.:dunno

Here...
http://dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=1392176&postcount=3

and here...(with a few images)
http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=169711

Well here's a fresh one taken a few days before Christmas at his new home in Texas. I think he fits right in!

Canon 50D
Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS

1145746728_7YAVo-L.jpg

...and the project from last year has been wrapped up!!!...
http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=187145

Happy New Years everyone!!!:D

Comments

• jirojiro Registered Users Posts: 1,865 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Nice. Look at those leading lines toward the subject! Very nice image, Sir! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
    Sitting quietly, doing nothing. Spring comes and the grass grows by itself.

http://imagesbyjirobau.blogspot.com/
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Nice image and processing. Kudos on completing the project and preserving those memories!!!
    Where in Texas? Looks like a nice old Pecan tree in the b/g....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    Nice image and processing. Kudos on completing the project and preserving those memories!!!
    Where in Texas? Looks like a nice old Pecan tree in the b/g....

Newton, TX

They have a small grove of mature paper hulls. The trees produced enough this year that they invited all the neighbors to enjoy them as well.

Thanks for the comments.
  • cr8ingwavescr8ingwaves Registered Users Posts: 194 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    What a lovely project Jeff! Having lost my own dad when I was only 22, I cherish each and every photo I have of him and wish I had more. My thoughts are with your wife as she faces this emotionally trying time. It is a horrible disease that robs us of our loved ones while they are still here. May she be able to offer love and support to her mother as she loses her life partner.
    I always love reading your posts....you are such a wonderful writer and story teller!
    Thanks for sharing all of this with us!
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Love the tone of the image. Very nice.
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    This kind of stuff is what photography is really all about. What is better than taking photos with personal meaning.
    I love that shot of him napping on the bench with the tree trunk curving in from the left.
    Nice work!
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    dude..that's some powerful stuff. I don't throw those words out lightly.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited January 4, 2011
    What a lovely project Jeff! Having lost my own dad when I was only 22, I cherish each and every photo I have of him and wish I had more. My thoughts are with your wife as she faces this emotionally trying time. It is a horrible disease that robs us of our loved ones while they are still here. May she be able to offer love and support to her mother as she loses her life partner.
    I always love reading your posts....you are such a wonderful writer and story teller!
    Thanks for sharing all of this with us!

Thank you for your kind comments...and I am very sorry for your loss. I am sure each photograph is more valuable than gold to you.

My wifes mother and father divorced years ago. They are both remarried and havent lived in the same state in at least 25 years. I understand what you are saying, but things get complicated very quickly with step parents and step brothers/sisters involved. Egos, alliances, and pride can often draw boundries where none should exist. Its a sticky situation at times, and one must always "tread softly".
    edited January 4, 2011
    Seneca wrote: »
    Love the tone of the image. Very nice.

Thank youthumb.gif

The colors in the color version were too distracting....and once I had the conversion done I couldnt help but age it a bit.:D
    edited January 4, 2011
    zoomer wrote: »
    This kind of stuff is what photography is really all about. What is better than taking photos with personal meaning.
    I love that shot of him napping on the bench with the tree trunk curving in from the left.
    Nice work!

I dunno Zoomer...ne_nau.gif

I think if you ask 10 different folks what makes photography important to them you might get 10 differing replies.

...but thats okay...

For me it HAS to almost ALWAYS be about people. Any of my attepts at landscapes or still life type shots seem to fall short unless I can somehow HUMANIZE my subjects. Imagine a barn as an old man...for example.

Even 25 years ago I could get more successful shots of people on accident than landscapes on purpose.

...but thats just me...

For a landscape guy ..or a birder....or even a sports shooter I sincerely hope that they can absorb the same feeling of fullfillment and satisfaction about their projects as I feel about this one.

The shot on the bench is a scene that our family is familiar with as he often napped on the swing. I was lucky enough to catch him as I arrived one saturday. I remember hoping he wouldnt catch me as I loaded the film and set up the shot.

Thanks for commenting, and Happy New Year!thumb.gif
    edited January 4, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    dude..that's some powerful stuff. I don't throw those words out lightly.

Thanks for commenting Daniel.....happy new year to you too!thumb.gif
    edited January 4, 2011
    jiro wrote: »
    Nice. Look at those leading lines toward the subject! Very nice image, Sir! thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif

Yup......lots of geometry going on in there for sure!

Thanks for commenting.thumb.gif