Options

Launching LR3 automatic upon USB connection?

piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited January 6, 2011 in Finishing School
I am running W7 Ultimate 64bit, and LR3.3. I would like to know if there is a way to launch LR3 automatically when I plug my cameras in using the USB cables provided by the manufacturer.

Now I know many of you will point out that the program launches automatically when you plug in the SD/CF card, but I would prefer to plug the camera in directly. Unfortunately this option does not appear in the W7 control panel dialogue box as an option when plugging in that device. I can choose to launch all sorts of programs I am uninterested in such as Windows Picture Viewer, Picasa, etc. Just no option to select LR3. I am surprised at this since LR3 makes a big deal about using tethering, which I am not interested in personally.

The reason I would like to do this is that I have found that I sometimes forget to put another card in the camera if I am forced to take it out simply to transfer the photos.

Does anyone know a way to change the settings in W7, or LR3 so that the program will launch automatically when I plug the camera in to my computer directly using the USB cable? Thank you.:dunno

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    as far as i know LR cannot import from camera , therefor its not in the list
    LR can only read drives , not devices

in my list ;
    bridge
    photoshop
    camera-control
    epson scan
    and the usual windows stuff
    but no LR
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    basflt wrote: »
    as far as i know LR cannot import from camera , therefor its not in the list
    LR can only read drives , not devices

in my list ;
    bridge
    photoshop
    camera-control
    epson scan
    and the usual windows stuff
    but no LR

huh? that above is just wrong. sorry, but its wrong

Of course LR can import from your camera. As long as your camera mounts in the OS, it can be downloaded. If you can see the camera's card when you plug it into Windows, you may need to configure LR to automatically download whenever the camera is plugged in.

Go into Preferences, then click the tab that says 'Import" make sure that box is checked, like this:

1146753967_vKggr-M.jpg

if you can not see the card in Windows (not LR), then you are missing a driver needed for your camera, install that first. You need to be able to see the camera in Windows Explorer or My Computer before LR can see it.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Many cameras have an option that controls how the camera communicates over the cable. I think the usual choices are USB Mass Storage and PPTP. One of them might let Lightroom see the camera. I'm not sure which one, try them both or check your camera manual.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    yes , i saw it
    now the option shows in windows too
    but it still refuses to start automatically
    i tried every thing , but LR wont launch when i connect my camera
    i still work on it

i still dont think its possible
    Lightroom.exe cannot open anything on its own
    images must first be imported in catalog , witch is a module triggered by LR
    windows can only tell an .exe to start
    thats where the problem is IMO
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    yes , i saw it
    now the option shows in windows too
    but it still refuses to start automatically
    i tried every thing , but LR wont launch when i connect my camera
    i still work on it

Ah you want Lightroom to start automatically when you connect the camera.

OK, so for Win7, click Start>Control Panel. In the Search box, type Autoplay. Scroll down to devices, and you should see your camera, choose Lightroom as your import tool. if you want all pictures to do this, select this for Pictures also.

This same dialog should pop up whenever you plug in your camera. If it does not, at some time you told it not to pop it up again.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    not me , original poster

its not working for me either
    [ i was just try to find out why & how ]

edit
    my camera is not in the list you mentioned
    while it is in devices list
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    Ah you want Lightroom to start automatically when you connect the camera.

OK, so for Win7, click Start>Control Panel. In the Search box, type Autoplay. Scroll down to devices, and you should see your camera, choose Lightroom as your import tool. if you want all pictures to do this, select this for Pictures also.

This same dialog should pop up whenever you plug in your camera. If it does not, at some time you told it not to pop it up again.

This is why I am asking the question. I want LR to start automatically when I connect the camera. My camera (60d, S90, 40d, SD870, Panasonic ZS6, etc) correctly shows up in Windows when I plug it in via USB. It does not however launch LR3. When I go to the Start>Control Panel for Autoplay, LR3 does not show up as a program that I can select for Autoplay. Other programs I am uninterested in do however show up as options, just not the one I want to use initially when I begin my workflow.

What makes this even more maddening, is that when I plug in my Android phone (Galaxy-S Vibrant), LR3 launches every time.

It seems that with LR3 offering tethering as such an integral part of the program's functionality, that there should be a way to set it up in "Autoplay" in Windows. Certainly if my phone can do it, why not my 60D?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    If you are using RAW, it may be that Windows doesn't consider RAW to be a 'picture' format. Look for other options, such as 'mixed media". hell check them all:
    http://www.gilsmethod.com/how-to-take-control-of-vistas-autoplay-feature

Sorry I dont have LR on a Windows machine, so I can't show any example. By the way, have you tried a card reader instead of your camera?
  • Options
    RobSylvanRobSylvan Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Well, it seems Windows treats cameras as a Device when connected and the camera is set to PTP, and for whatever reason, Lightroom is not included as an option for a device. Perhaps there is a way to edit that to add new programs to the list via some third-party app or hack? However, if you set the camera to Mass Storage then it should treat it like Media (at least it did with my D200), and hopefully you'll see the Lightroom option. I would guess not all cameras have those options, so your mileage may vary.

Note that if you are going to shoot tethered then you need to use the PTP setting.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    RobSylvan wrote: »
    However, if you set the camera to Mass Storage then it should treat it like Media (at least it did with my D200), and hopefully you'll see the Lightroom option. I would guess not all cameras have those options, so your mileage may vary.

Note that if you are going to shoot tethered then you need to use the PTP setting.

This may be getting close to the solution. When I look at my camera tonight, I will look for advanced settings in the menu system. What does PTP stand for? Is that specific to Nikon?

Thanks for the responses folks. I have tried a card reader, which is what I am currently using, but prefer to just plug the camera in. I have now walked off with the camera three times now w/o a card in it since I have been forced to remove the card to transfer photos. Yeah, I know I should be smarter, but isn't that why we pay thousands of dollars for technology that allows us to customize our work process?
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Also under Windows, and I am doing this from memory, you should be able to browse to what application you want if your application is not listed. If that doesn't work you may want to look at the Microsoft Power Toys tools http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx you can tweak things not typically exposed using TweakUI.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    The safest protocol for transferring images from a camera to your computer ( with or without LR ) is to remove the card from the camera, and use a card reader to transfer the data from the card to the computer, and then reformat the card IN THE CAMERA. This has been the preferred technique for years. Camera to computer connections are less reliable. What happens if the battery in your camera runs dry during file uploads?

I don't routinely close Lightroom on my desktop - I let it run until I need to change catalogs. When it sees a new Compact Flash card of images connected, it opens the Import dialogue automatically.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    This may be getting close to the solution. When I look at my camera tonight, I will look for advanced settings in the menu system. What does PTP stand for? Is that specific to Nikon?

No, PTP is a cross platform industry standard, stands for Picture Transfer Protocol. Details here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

But Lightroom might be expecting a camera to appear as a mounted volume, which is what I think switching the camera to USB Mass Storage mode does.
    I have tried a card reader, which is what I am currently using, but prefer to just plug the camera in. I have now walked off with the camera three times now w/o a card in it since I have been forced to remove the card to transfer photos. Yeah, I know I should be smarter, but isn't that why we pay thousands of dollars for technology that allows us to customize our work process?

Valid point. But at least in my own case it is a better long term strategy to train myself to always check the camera. Why? Because I have also walked off with no battery in it. I am training myself to always turn on the camera before it leaves my desk, to check that the displays come on (verify battery is present) and that there is no "missing card" or "card full" error.

There are many downsides to using the cable. It drains the camera battery, a card reader does not. It creates the possibility of a data-corrupting power glitch, this is less likely with a card reader. If the camera happens to not be USB 2.0, the card reader will be faster (my FireWire card reader transfers much faster than any USB 2.0 cable, too). And the camera cannot be used while attached, while with a card reader you can swap cards, pick up the camera and keep shooting during picture transfer.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I do agree with the above reasons for not connecting the camera directly. Before I leave for any type of shoot I check each camera for battery, reformat the card (in the camera) and I also make sure I have extra batteries and cards.

But to check out how my camera works with LR and USB connection, when I plug the cable attached to my camera the PC detects it and the box opens asking me what I want to do and the top selection is import pictures with LR if I checked the box to always use LR it would just open up to the import screen.

Mt setup Laptop with Win7 professional and LR 3 and Pentax camera set to PC mode (my camera appears as a hard drive)

One other note when my camera is detected I get the message that it could run faster as a usb 2.2 so it is comming up at a slower speed.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Well, I give up on this effort. I checked for a "mass storage" setting on the 60d but nothing like that. I called Adobe and went though about an hour on the phone with a tech, but since they are open until 7pm, the call was (I believe) cut off shortly thereafter without warning or conclusion of the discussion. He was helpful, but didn't seem to have any new ideas either.

It is just hard to understand why Adobe thinks I should be able to automatically launch my Photshop Elements 9.0 on camera plug in. Adobe also thinks that Lightroom should launch automatically when I plug my phone in as well.headscratch.gif

I tried every possible tweak but to no solution.

Thanks to everyone for indulging in my attempt to customize Lightroom.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Well, I give up on this effort. I checked for a "mass storage" setting on the 60d but nothing like that. I called Adobe and went though about an hour on the phone with a tech, but since they are open until 7pm, the call was (I believe) cut off shortly thereafter without warning or conclusion of the discussion. He was helpful, but didn't seem to have any new ideas either.

It is just hard to understand why Adobe thinks I should be able to automatically launch my Photshop Elements 9.0 on camera plug in. Adobe also thinks that Lightroom should launch automatically when I plug my phone in as well.headscratch.gif

I tried every possible tweak but to no solution.

Thanks to everyone for indulging in my attempt to customize Lightroom.
    I don't think your problem has anything to do with LR I think it has to do with your camera settings or driver.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »
    I don't think your problem has anything to do with LR I think it has to do with your camera settings or driver.

Except that none of my cameras are allowed to have the option of launching LR3 at USB plug in. they do however have the option of launching PS Elements 9, Picasa, Windows Picture Viewer, etc. The reason auto-launching of LR3 appears as an option for my Android Galaxy-S Vibrant phone is because the microsd card is mounted as "mass storage" whereas the cameras are mounted as a "device".

It seems as though this is one of those black box "features" built in by Adobe for reasons us mortals are not supposed to understand, nor even question.

All of you have very valid points about why working directly from the card is better, but in my opinion these sorts of things should be the consumer's choice.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011

All of you have very valid points about why working directly from the card is better, but in my opinion these sorts of things should be the consumer's choice.
    you are right
    but win7 has a major problem with devices , has nothing to do with your camera

using sd-card is better and faster and easier ,indeed

will report here if and when i find a cure
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I cheated and asked the programming team at the office that does our USB stuff - not photography related. It is up to Windows and how it is configured to react to the presence of items on the USB "port". Windows simply sees that there is something there, and once Windows finds it, it can launch a program. During the install process is when many programs set this configuration in Windows. It is the same Windows process that when you plug in a new USB device Windows sometimes said it has to install a driver. It is not an Adobe thing, it is a Windows thing. Now as to how to fix it, the directions mentioned previously should allow you to configure it. However some of this might depend on security settings.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Except that none of my cameras are allowed to have the option of launching LR3 at USB plug in. they do however have the option of launching PS Elements 9, Picasa, Windows Picture Viewer, etc. The reason auto-launching of LR3 appears as an option for my Android Galaxy-S Vibrant phone is because the microsd card is mounted as "mass storage" whereas the cameras are mounted as a "device".

It seems as though this is one of those black box "features" built in by Adobe for reasons us mortals are not supposed to understand, nor even question.

I did a quick search and found this

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1019&message=36992377&changemode=1
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I have not read all of this thread.......

Seems it is a MS WIN thing not allow LR to be in the list to automatically download from cam.....I have photoshop and Bridge offered but no way to add LR to the list.........but I always turned off the automatic side of things like this as I prefer to put my images into respective files and then import from there.......

......and I have NEVER tried downloading my CF card off the camera.....I always knew it was faster off a card reader and puts undo wear and tear on cam and batteries......but just because i ran on this i loaded LR3.3 64 bit got it up and plugged in my D300 and clicked the import button and VOILA immediately showing at the top of the list of my HDD's was Nikon D300 and the first pic on the card.........and as I scrolled thru the pix on LR I noticed the green write light on the D300 blinking, when I stopped scrolling it went out....oh I am also running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.....so it will without a doubt allow you to download from camera or at least from a NIKON D300...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    dbveto wrote: »

Portable Device Enumerator Service is set to manual by default , would make no different
    i recommend to leave it manual
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    I have reead all of this thread.......and I have NEVER tried downloading my CF card off the camera.....I always knew it was faster off a card reader and puts undo wear and tear on cam and batteries......but just because i ran on this i loaded LR3.3 64 bit got it up and plugged in my D300 and clicked the import button and VIOLLA imediately showing at the top of the list of my HDD's was Nikon D300 abd the first pic on the card.........and as I scrolled thru the pix on LR I noticed the green write light on the D300 blinking, when I stopped scrolling it went out....oh I am also running Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.....so it will without a doubt allow you to download from camera or at least from a NIKON D300...............

it can import from nearly all digital camera 's
    question was / is ;
    to launch LR automatically when the camera is plugged in
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I have not read all of this thread.......

Seems it is a MS WIN thing not allow LR to be in the list to automatically download from cam.....I have photoshop and Bridge offered but no way to add LR to the list.........but I always turned off the automatic side of things like this as I prefer to put my images into respective files and then import from there.......
    it can import from nearly all digital camera 's
    question was / is ;
    to launch LR automatically when the camera is plugged in

That is pretty much what my first few lines of my post said....it is a Windows thing...Windows does not seem to offer that option...but it does offer Photoshop and Bridge as options......I also stated I am using the same Win / LR versions as the OP
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    I completely forgot about EOS Utility, as I havent used it in a while, but it has the ability to launch a 3rd party product when you plugin your camera. If you havent installed it, do so, then go into EOS Utility, and under preferences, tell it you want LR to launch when you download images (used to be called Linked Software, but I dont have the current version to know what it is now). So then you have EOS Utility launch when you plug in your camera (should be under Devices).
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    That is pretty much what my first few lines of my post said....it is a Windows thing...Windows does not seem to offer that option...but it does offer Photoshop and Bridge as options......I also stated I am using the same Win / LR versions as the OP

Mine works just the way he wants his to work, I plug in the Camera and a box opens giving me the option to import pictures and LR is in the top of the list. Although I don't use this method. In the link that It was the same problem and it mentioned getting the current camera utility.
    Dennis
    Work in progress
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    cmason wrote: »
    I completely forgot about EOS Utility, as I havent used it in a while, but it has the ability to launch a 3rd party product when you plugin your camera. If you havent installed it, do so, then go into EOS Utility, and under preferences, tell it you want LR to launch when you download images (used to be called Linked Software, but I dont have the current version to know what it is now). So then you have EOS Utility launch when you plug in your camera (should be under Devices).

Thanks. Yes, this is close, and I did notice there was a very recent update to this software. You can select LR3 or any other ".exe" file as "linked software" but it does not launch until the EOS Utility has been used, and closed. The EOS Utility does however insert itself and it's processes Prior to it automatically launching LR3, at which time LR3 begins what would now be a redundant process of re-downloading your images.

I just find this all to be very confusing to me since the entire idea of LR in the first place is to be a one stop shopping workflow environment for those without very specialized needs.

As to whether this is a Windows, or an Adobe "thing", unless I have some corrupted installation of W7 Ultimate 64bit, the issue is likely an Adobe thing since they write the code that allows the Windows Autoplay selection box to "see" LR3 as an application from which to choose in the drop down menu upon direct connection of the camera. I am not a fanboy of Windows by any means, but it would be the role of the software developed to ensure compatibility with the platform and not the other way around. I suspect it is a deliberate omission on behalf of Adobe since the near unanimous opinion seems to be summed up that I should simply get with the program and transfer direct from the card, which I am rapidly getting in the habit of doing.

Thanks for everyone's patience. I tend to sweat the little stuff too much sometimes.