¿Microadjusting?

hrgerenahrgerena Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Cameras
Hi;

I'm new to this topic; "Microadjusting", what is it?, do your equipment really need it?, do I need to do this to my Canon 7D and Lenses?

Can anyone help out with this?

Thanks in advance.
H.F. Gerena
My_SmugMug
“When the mind is disturbed, the multiplicity of things is produced, but when the mind is quieted, the multiplicity of things disappears”

Comments

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    hrgerena wrote: »
    Hi;

I'm new to this topic; "Microadjusting", what is it?, do your equipment really need it?, do I need to do this to my Canon 7D and Lenses?

Can anyone help out with this?

Thanks in advance.

If your photos are coming out clear and in focus, no you don't have to do this.

If your photos are constantly either back focused, or front focused, then you'd want to do an adjustment.

This product is made to help you adjust your kit.
    The page gives a good description.

LINK
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • hrgerenahrgerena Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    Hi Dave, great Link thanks for sharing.
    H.F. Gerena
    My_SmugMug
    “When the mind is disturbed, the multiplicity of things is produced, but when the mind is quieted, the multiplicity of things disappears”
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    If you are interested in my experiences with micro-adjusting, take a look at the link in my signature. As davev indicated, if it's all sweet it makes no sense to try to fix what ain't broke. On the other hand, it doesn't hurt anything to experiment. If you find, through experimentation, that it was best before you started it's easy enough to set the camera back to factory settings - just pop the lens back on the camera and set the MAF setting to 0.

That being said, I found that all my lenses were off at least a little and needed at least a small tweak to get the most out of them. But YMMV (and I hope it does! :D)
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I tested 4 of my lenses with two methods and a new one last night with one, and so far, all have been spot on, but it is nice to know there is an option if one is out of kilter.

You are more likely to need adjustment if you have very fast glass because of the narrower DOF.

For a great read on why this happens sometimes but not others, see http://www.lensrentals.com/news/2008.12.22/this-lens-is-soft-and-other-myths