My Girls

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in People
These are my daughters. It's not often I get a chance to shoot them together. One SB600 in a 24" Ezybox Hotshoe softbox to camera left, set on TTL, a (SB600) hair light up and to camera right on 1/64, a soft gold reflector to camera right, and a little help from an SB800 at TTL -1.0 on camera, popped off the ceiling with a Demb diffuser. No, they don't get their looks from their dad.

1146268314_kvVGP-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2011
    John,

Beautiful photo here..if I look at each face seperately at a time. I have peculiar observation..it almost looks like the 2 photos were stitched together here. One face is broad lit, the other short lit, then the skin tones are rather different (thought that probably can't be helped)...finally where there shoulders meet just fades into blackness which lends a seperation
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    John, this is a gorgeous double portrait and your girls are lovely!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    John,

Beautiful photo here..if I look at each face seperately at a time. I have peculiar observation..it almost looks like the 2 photos were stitched together here. One face is broad lit, the other short lit, then the skin tones are rather different (thought that probably can't be helped)...finally where there shoulders meet just fades into blackness which lends a seperation

If the light is coming from the left, it lights the right hand side of the girl on the left's face, and because the girl on the right is facing the light, she gets broad-lit - at least that's how it looks to me. Very nice portrait, gorgeous girls. Did you soften the skin some? Or, maybe this is not a polite question to ask about a portrait of ladies? I ask because I have recently been learning this.
    Cheers.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Stunning photo IMO. Great Job.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Qarik wrote: »
    John,

I know exactly what you mean, and it's a conundrum. How do you light a pair, if you want them engaged with each other, without broad-lighting one of them?? In retrospect, I should have posed (or lit) the pair opposite the way I did. Julia, at camera left, tends toward "chubby-cheeks" and should have been short-lit. Jessica's slimmer face I should have let stand on its own in the broad light.

As for the skin tones, one of them has the skin of a Saxon, the other of a Greek. Weird gene pool.
    John :
    edited January 4, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Very nice portrait, gorgeous girls. Did you soften the skin some? Or, maybe this is not a polite question to ask about a portrait of ladies? I ask because I have recently been learning this.
    Cheers.

Thank you Sara, and so long as women openly and routinely use makeup to enhance their appearance (and we all assume they do for photos, right?) I think we can feel comfortable (at least amongst ourselves as photographers) asking about our electronic "make-up" techniques. Isn't it really the same thing?? Yes, I did a little skin softening. Not too much, as you can see in the 1:1 clip below.

1146640859_BcTad-O.jpg
    John :
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Absolutely beautiful. This is a classic portrait of two gorgeous women. Ya done good!!! thumb.gifclap.gif
  • sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Icebear wrote: »
    Thank you Sara, and so long as women openly and routinely use makeup to enhance their appearance (and we all assume they do for photos, right?) I think we can feel comfortable (at least amongst ourselves as photographers) asking about our electronic "make-up" techniques. Isn't it really the same thing?? Yes, I did a little skin softening. Not too much, as you can see in the 1:1 clip below.

Thank you, John - I like what you did, and since I had to ask, it was just the right amount. That's what I'm striving for - the not-overdone skin softening technique. Lots to learn, and having a ball.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    Thank you, John - I like what you did, and since I had to ask, it was just the right amount. That's what I'm striving for - the not-overdone skin softening technique.

++++++1 nod.gif
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Nothing more fun that using your skills to take photos of the people you care about.
    Nice photo of two pretty ladies.
    edited January 4, 2011
    Gosh, thank you all so much for your generous remarks. Qarik, Rey, Sara, Diva, Mike, b08rsa, I really appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.

Sara, since you raised the subject of touch-ups, I'll take this opportunity to say that I'm pretty happy with the way the eyes look in this shot. I'm not a big fan of the "startled look" that seems to be la mode these days. IMO too many portraits look like magazine advertising pieces. The eyes seem to leap out of the faces to grab my attention. That's fine if that's your purpose, but I'm getting tired of it.

Descending from soap-box now:D
    John :
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Sometimes we get too much into the techique of an image...when quite frankly...I love this portrait...your daughters are beautiful.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Really like what you did here. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site