50mm Recommendation

fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited January 4, 2011 in Cameras
So with my new 5dMk2 my 16-35 2.8 is way too wide to be used as my main lens. I have a 18-200 kit lens, but I need something faster than that. I'm pretty much broke at the moment so I was looking at picking up one of Canon's 50mm primes for the moment. Originally I was going to get the cheap 1.8, butfrom the reviews it seems to have a hard time focusing in low-light, and is quite slow at that which is exactly where I really need it to be fast and accurate. Would I be better off spending a little bit more to get the 1.4? The two camera shops near me don't have either of the lens in stock to try, and I don't really want to rent them just to test them.

Mostly going to be shooting concerts, and other campus events with it, but it's all pretty poorly lit and a lot of the events they frown on flashes.
Examples:
1146091399_jhm3d-L.jpg
1146092052_iMBPo-XL.jpg
1146091865_7BhZK-L.jpg
Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
16-35 2.8L, 70-200 2.8L, 24-105 4.0L
www.timkerigan.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 3, 2011
    Canon does not really have a 50mm lens that is quick to focus and reasonable in price. The EF 50mm, f1.4 USM is a micro-motor-USM and, while it's not slow, it's not really too fast either. You might consider the Canon EF 85mm, f1.8 USM which is a ring-USM and considerably faster to focus. It's also pretty crisp wide open.

I have the 50mm, f1.4 and I do like the lens, but in the conditions you describe and show it would not be a first choice.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hmm, well that's disappointing. I don't think I've ever owned a Canon lens that wasn't USM, is there a significant difference (in speed) between the 1.8 and the 1.4?

I've used the 85 before on my 40D and I'd be afraid it'd be too long, since I already have a 70-200 2.8L. Ideally I'd get the 24-70 L or maybe the sigma equivalent (do they make one that fits the FF sensor?) but I can't afford to spend that much when I barely make anything back shooting right now.
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hmm, well that's disappointing. I don't think I've ever owned a Canon lens that wasn't USM, is there a significant difference (in speed) between the 1.8 and the 1.4?

I've used the 85 before on my 40D and I'd be afraid it'd be too long, since I already have a 70-200 2.8L. Ideally I'd get the 24-70 L or maybe the sigma equivalent (do they make one that fits the FF sensor?) but I can't afford to spend that much when I barely make anything back shooting right now.

The 50mm F1.8 is a no-go in my opinion. My gut tells me it may have been faster than my 1.4 to focus but more often than not was inaccurate and inconsistant. The 50mm F1.4 is much much slower to focus than the 85 F1.8 that Ziggy mentioned....but is also rock solid for focus accuracy and consistancy. The 85mm F1.8 is considered THE go to lens for high school basketball. If you can imagine the poor lighting and fast paced action associated with that sport/age group then you can approximate its abilities. I use a crop sensor camera and would prefer the 85mm for what you are shooting over a 50mm focal length......just for reach. ne_nau.gif....and on a full framer you will probably NEED the extra reach...IMO.thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    ... is there a significant difference (in speed) between the 1.8 and the 1.4? ...

Yes, there is a speed difference and the f1.4 is faster. "Significant" is a relative term by my opinion is that the f1.8 is too slow for any sort of action, mostly because it will often "hunt". As Jeff mentioned, I too find too many OOF shots coming from the f1.8 at large apertures. I use that lens mostly for cameras with Live View to focus at large apertures.
    ... I've used the 85 before on my 40D and I'd be afraid it'd be too long, since I already have a 70-200 2.8L. Ideally I'd get the 24-70 L or maybe the sigma equivalent (do they make one that fits the FF sensor?) but I can't afford to spend that much when I barely make anything back shooting right now.

Remember that the 85mm mounted on the 40D was similar to a 136mm lens FOV on a full frame camera. On a FF camera body an 85mm lens is not all that bad at all. It is only a moderate telephoto. The primary advantage is very fast AF and that extra stop of aperture to allow twice the shutter speed. The extra aperture also helps to separate the subject from the surroundings, when needed.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I second the 85mm f/1.8 suggestion. I bought this for my daughter for Christmas, and had a hard time giving it to her. Very nice, affordable lens. Also worth considering is the 100mm f/2, which is very similar. Both very good for concerts and low light. On a full frame camera, you may want to go even longer, unless you are in a small club.
    - Bill
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I regularly use my 50 1.4 in theatre settings and it performs very well - no, it's not as fast or accurate as (for instance) the 135L, but the focal length is very useful for wider shots on my crop cameras (7d and xsi).

If you decide a bit more reach is useful, then the 85 f1.8 or 100 f2 are both fabulous lenses and easily picked up used at good prices. I've owned both and, FWIW, I preferred the 100 - it's sharper at f2 than the 85 is at 1.8 (although they're both tack sharp slightly stopped down) and, for me, the extra reach was helpful.
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    billythek wrote: »
    I second the 85mm f/1.8 suggestion. I bought this for my daughter for Christmas, and had a hard time giving it to her. Very nice, affordable lens. Also worth considering is the 100mm f/2, which is very similar. Both very good for concerts and low light. On a full frame camera, you may want to go even longer, unless you are in a small club.

I just noticed that you already have a 70-200 2.8L. Yeah, there might be some overlap with the 85 and 100 primes. One question, though, are you able to get that white lens into the concerts? If you don't have credentials, it is sometimes a lot easier to get a small black lens in. If you have the connections, though, the 70-200 2.8 is a very good lens for concerts. I see a lot of them being used.
    - Bill
  • fullofpaintfullofpaint Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hmm, thanks for the recommendations folks! I just found out one of our photography majors has both the 50 and the 85, so I'm gonna borrow them and test them out for myself! But it sounds like the 85 might be the way to go...Thanks!
    Canon 5DMk2, Canon 40D
    www.timkerigan.com
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    yeah, I'm also confused why you're not just using the 70-200L?

I own the 50 1.4 and love it. I use it for everything pretty much. I also own the 135L and love that too. I have never owned an 85, but hear good things about the 1.8 (well, all of them really).

I think testing them out, like you're gonna do, is a smart thing to do. All of these lenses can be picked up for not much at all used on fredmiranda. But you definitely want to like a lens before you invest in it. I've made the mistake of not doing that and hating a lens a few times lol... dont do that..

I shoot with a 5DMKII too, the 50 is pretty wide on FF, so imho the 85 would be best for your case.
    Jer