Canon 50d vs 60d

applegalapplegal Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
edited January 26, 2011 in Cameras
Hi everyone,

You were all so helpful in answering my questions before, I thought I'd add one more :D

I am really torn between the 50d vs 60d. I don't care about the video feature. So, video aside, which model would you recommend for children/family photography? I originally thought the 50d because of the magnesium alloy body, but am worried it might get heavy (I currently use an xs). I found a used 50d for $750 at a local camera shop. Or I could spend $999 and get the 60d new. Is it worth the extra $250 if I'm not using video? The 50d comes with a 30 day warranty and the guy at the shop said its in mint condition.

My XS has suddenly taken a turn for the worse (I am getting a TON of noise even at 400ISO. :scratch Its sporadic but getting much more frequent and I can't risk it happening through an entire shoot). This means I have to upgrade a bit sooner then planned. They are holding the 50d until tomorrow morning and I only have until Saturday for the $100 Canon rebate on the 60d.

THANK YOU!!

Comments

• eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I have a 50D and have been more than happy with it for the past two years taking pix of my now 3 and 5 year old kids. I know a pro in town who does exclusively children/family photos and uses the 50D with great results. For the $250 difference, i think it's worth getting the 50D. If you don't have a solid prime like the 50/1.4 or 85/1.8, you can use the difference to purchase one of those ne_nau.gif
    E
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Canon loyalty program
    Check the Canon Loyalty Program 866-443-8002
  • applegalapplegal Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    I have a 50D and have been more than happy with it for the past two years taking pix of my now 3 and 5 year old kids. I know a pro in town who does exclusively children/family photos and uses the 50D with great results. For the $250 difference, i think it's worth getting the 50D. If you don't have a solid prime like the 50/1.4 or 85/1.8, you can use the difference to purchase one of those ne_nau.gif
    E

Thank you E! That is exactly what I needed :D I have the 50/1.4 and iloveyou.gif it. I am hoping the savings can help fix my xs so I have backup.
    edited January 4, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    Check the Canon Loyalty Program 866-443-8002

Thank you! I need to call and see if they will take my ancient powershot and what their shipping costs are. A great option :D Thanks!
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    applegal wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

You were all so helpful in answering my questions before, I thought I'd add one more :D

I am really torn between the 50d vs 60d. I don't care about the video feature. So, video aside, which model would you recommend for children/family photography? I originally thought the 50d because of the magnesium alloy body, but am worried it might get heavy (I currently use an xs). I found a used 50d for $750 at a local camera shop. Or I could spend $999 and get the 60d new. Is it worth the extra $250 if I'm not using video? The 50d comes with a 30 day warranty and the guy at the shop said its in mint condition.

My XS has suddenly taken a turn for the worse (I am getting a TON of noise even at 400ISO. headscratch.gif Its sporadic but getting much more frequent and I can't risk it happening through an entire shoot). This means I have to upgrade a bit sooner then planned. They are holding the 50d until tomorrow morning and I only have until Saturday for the $100 Canon rebate on the 60d.

THANK YOU!!

your XS is "suddenly getting a TON of noise"?
    It's more likely the exposure is suddenly WAY OFF than the sensor suddenly turning worse. And (ironically) the XS (1000D) sensor is actually better at ISO noise than the 50D!
    But anyway good luck
  • studio1972studio1972 Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Hi everyone,

My XS has suddenly taken a turn for the worse (I am getting a TON of noise even at 400ISO. headscratch.gif Its sporadic but getting much more frequent and I can't risk it happening through an entire shoot). This means I have to upgrade a bit sooner then planned. They are holding the 50d until tomorrow morning and I only have until Saturday for the $100 Canon rebate on the 60d.

THANK YOU!!

Have you considered a second hand 5D? Wouldn't cost much more than the 50D and is miles more capable than either of the others (except for video of course).
    edited January 5, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    Have you considered a second hand 5D? Wouldn't cost much more than the 50D and is miles more capable than either of the others (except for video of course).

I had thought about it, but I wanted to purchase direct from a local camera store or Canon and the only used 5D was still $1600. So maybe someday, but not right now :) I ordered the 50D last night and can't wait!!
    edited January 5, 2011
    Brett1000 wrote: »
    your XS is "suddenly getting a TON of noise"?
    It's more likely the exposure is suddenly WAY OFF than the sensor suddenly turning worse. And (ironically) the XS (1000D) sensor is actually better at ISO noise than the 50D!
    But anyway good luck

I hope not. I try to watch my exposure carefully and don't know why it would suddenly be an issue when it never has been in the past. But who knows. I guess if the problem persists with a different camera then its me and not the equipment. Thanks for your input :)
  • paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    enjoy the 50D. It's a great camera. Give yourself a few weeks to get used to the controls. They are very different from those on a Rebel. They are much better and faster, but it takes a bit to get accustomed to the change.
  • JohnRAJohnRA Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I hope not. I try to watch my exposure carefully and don't know why it would suddenly be an issue when it never has been in the past. But who knows. I guess if the problem persists with a different camera then its me and not the equipment. Thanks for your input :)
    Agree entirely with Paddler4's opinion.
    I purchased a 50D during a model run-out sale, saved heaps & got all the camera features I want.
    Couldn't be more satisfied.
    John
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I think the 50D was a good choice; even if they were both the same price I'd get the 50D. It has 6.5fps vs the 5 of the 60D (you can tell I shoot sports:D). For me, the 60D was a big disappointment, except for the vari-angle LCD (but the next rebel is supposed to have that anyway). Enjoy it, it's capable of taking some really good photosthumb.gif
    I had thought about it, but I wanted to purchase direct from a local camera store or Canon and the only used 5D was still $1600.

eek7.gif
    Seriously? $1100 would be more like it, although I've seen them under $1000.
  • piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    bakersmith wrote: »
    Here are two option of digital slr camera Canon 50D and Canon 60D I've had good experience with the Canon D60.The 60 has relatively strong construction of aluminum and polycarbonate.The 60D is the only current Canon dSLR with this handy feature. This may prove useful for videographers, as well as for setting up compositions while the camera is on a tripod, for macro use, or for using it from unusually low or high vantage points. There is also an electronic level, visible in the viewfinder, rear LCD, or top LCD.

I have been enjoying my 60d quite a bit despite what many of the ticky tack folks seem to consider to be downgrades. The swivel screen is quite solid, much more so than the Canon camcorder I bought a year ago. The 50d is a fantastic camera as well that is unlikely to feel obsolete for some time. For me, I wanted an upgrade from the 40d, which itself is far from obsolete. The bottom line is whether the camera helps YOU take better pictures. I really enjoy the new screen, the level, and other nice features. For me, I have been satisfied with 5fps so no biggy. What gets lost in the ticky tack comparisons between cameras is the subjective "fun" factor. If a camera is "fun" you are more likely to use it, and therefore more likely to find yourself taking more pictures.
    edited January 7, 2011
    I have been enjoying my 60d quite a bit despite what many of the ticky tack folks seem to consider to be downgrades. The swivel screen is quite solid, much more so than the Canon camcorder I bought a year ago. The 50d is a fantastic camera as well that is unlikely to feel obsolete for some time. For me, I wanted an upgrade from the 40d, which itself is far from obsolete. The bottom line is whether the camera helps YOU take better pictures. I really enjoy the new screen, the level, and other nice features. For me, I have been satisfied with 5fps so no biggy. What gets lost in the ticky tack comparisons between cameras is the subjective "fun" factor. If a camera is "fun" you are more likely to use it, and therefore more likely to find yourself taking more pictures.

Yep, it just comes down to what YOU want. I'm sure there are people who like the 50D's solid, heavy feel with the metal body, and the 6.5 fps, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would rather have the 60D with its newer features.
  • chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 772 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Yep, it just comes down to what YOU want. I'm sure there are people who like the 50D's solid, heavy feel with the metal body, and the 6.5 fps, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who would rather have the 60D with its newer features.

I played with a 60D at the weekend with a 17-55 EF-S lens. I liked the lighter weight a lot - it felt perfectly balanced and well built.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011

right, and some would be satisfied with the cheaper 550D
    edited January 25, 2011
    I'll respond with a 50D list. This doesn't mean I'm necessarily recommending the 50D over the 60D; like I said before, it depends on what YOU want.

-Better build quality with metal frame, and heavier (that can be a plus or a minus)
    -6.5 fps vs 5fps
    -AF microadjustment
    -it costs half as much:D

For me, that outweighs the 60D's new things. Some of them, like the in-camera processing and lighter weight, seem aimed at a lower market. And they are; the 60D was for the gap between the T2i and the 7D.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I recently fussed around with a 60D at CES a few weeks ago while trying to help a coworker decide between purchasing a 60D and a 7D. My off the cuff impressions. (for sake of reference, I shoot with a 40D)

The good:
    Gorgeous high ISO performance (don't know how to compare to 50D performance however)
    Build quality felt good in the hand. Sturdy, even of its not magnesium.
    Folding screen makes a really nice feature for Live view/video shooting

The bad:
    The button interface is too fussy, the multi dial on the back is more complicated than it needs to be.
    Buttons all over the camera body have a cheaper, nastier feel
    New body construction feels lighter in the hand. While it still feels sturdy, I prefer the extra weight.

If I had to upgrade now, I'd go for the 50d. Sure, its an incremental from my 40d, but the 50 retains much of what I like about my camera.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • LeVeLLeVeL Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    I just upgraded from an XT to a 50D and so far I love the new body! I don't find it heavy at all, although it does take some time to get used to the larger size after using a Rebel for a few years. As far as noise goes, the 50D seems to fare much better than the XT. The "high" modes (6400 and 12800) are rather noisy but 3200 seems rather usable after admittedly few tries; so far I prefer the 50D at 3200 over the XT at 1600.

Anyways, I went for the 50D over the 60D because, like you, I didn't care about video, and the 50D was cheaper.
    :*sip* GetLeVeLed.org

Canon 50D, 350D, 18-55mm IS, 50mm f/1.8, 55-250mm IS