Options

Drive by shooting

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited January 6, 2011 in Street and Documentary
Rt. 13, Delmarva Peninsula - Not at all sure about these. But...

1146741693_nHShd-X2.jpg

1146741687_2LHvU-X2.jpg

1146741676_2dnuN-X2.jpg

1146741705_bdNQq-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I thought you'd be the last person to drive-by shoot! I've done that a couple of times and liked the results though.

I like the desolate feeling of #2 and for some strange reason the last shot.

Very unexpected B.D. Next thing you know you'll be shooting with a lensbaby:)
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    The last is the only one that really does anything for me. It has a lonely human element that the rest lack.
    Travis
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I think #4 is neat; it looks almost like a new focusing screen that has a diagonal rangefinder!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hmmm...I'd toss the first three. The last one is more interesting, maybe because of the wet windshield and blue sky. I keep thinking that the truck is too centered, but I'm not convinced that any of my drag-the-browser-off-the-screen crops are really an improvement. Dunno, I think there's something there but it's not coming out fully somehow. Yeah, I know, big help. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    If I may speak candidly, I have to confess that they look pretty ho hum to me but then I often don't see what others seem to see and learn a lot by reading others' comments. In this case, I can't help thinking that you'd be giving us a bit of a talking to if we posted similar shots. ne_nau.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    If I may speak candidly, I have to confess that they look pretty ho hum to me but then I often don't see what others seem to see and learn a lot by reading others' comments. In this case, I can't help thinking that you'd be giving us a bit of a talking to if we posted similar shots. ne_nau.gif

Fair enough, Patti - Note that I said "Not at all sure about these?" Something about them intrigues me - particularly the first one. I was experimenting with something - and maybe they don't work; not everything does. So maybe I should get a 'bit of a talking to.' ne_nau.gif I'll be posting some more typical stuff later today or tomorrow. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    HoodahmahnHoodahmahn Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I love drive by shootings. I find my night drive by's to be the best, here is one from last Christmas:

RT24, Lewes, Delaware
    Driveby-Xmas.jpg
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Rt. 13, Delmarva Peninsula - Not at all sure about these. But...
    _________
    http://ericmontgomery.smugmug.com/

Camera

Canon Powershot G6

Technology
     iMac 27" | 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7 | 16GB 1333 DDR3 | SL 10.6.5
     iPhone 4 | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
     iPad | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
    ...and a plethora of other computers and OSs
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Fair enough, Patti - Note that I said "Not at all sure about these?" Something about them intrigues me - particularly the first one. I was experimenting with something - and maybe they don't work; not everything does. So maybe I should get a 'bit of a talking to.' ne_nau.gif I'll be posting some more typical stuff later today or tomorrow. mwink.gif

I can see what attracted you to take #1. There's something there - maybe a few seconds earlier would have helped? ne_nau.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    sara505sara505 Registered Users Posts: 1,684 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I'm happy to see that someone of BD's caliber struggles with whether a shot works or not, quite frankly.

I'm also glad to see the one taken straight through the windshield appears to be taken from the passenger seat - not that I haven't snuck a shot or two from behind the wheel once or twice in my life...

Honestly? None of these does a thing for me.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    sara505 wrote: »
    I'm happy to see that someone of BD's caliber struggles with whether a shot works or not, quite frankly.

You're right Sara. It is a relief to know that even the greats can struggle with a shot.

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Patti wrote: »
    You're right Sara. It is a relief to know that even the greats can struggle with a shot.

Sara and Patti - Just FYI, my daughter - SMFA degree in photography; master b&w printer; works in top NYC photo gallery - said none of them did a thing for her. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    Sara and Patti - Just FYI, my daughter - SMFA degree in photography; master b&w printer; works in top NYC photo gallery - said none of them did a thing for her. rolleyes1.gif

Now I REALLY feel better. clap.gifwings.gifivar

patti hinton photography
  • Options
    Firehouses of OhioFirehouses of Ohio Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Oops sorry...
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited January 5, 2011
    Hey guys,
    Please don't add pics to someone else's thread unless they have specifically requested it. Start a new thread instead, OK? deal.gif
  • Options
    HoodahmahnHoodahmahn Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Ooops, my bad. Sorry! :cry
    Richard wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    Please don't add pics to someone else's thread unless they have specifically requested it. Start a new thread instead, OK? deal.gif
    _________
    http://ericmontgomery.smugmug.com/

Camera

Canon Powershot G6

Technology
     iMac 27" | 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7 | 16GB 1333 DDR3 | SL 10.6.5
     iPhone 4 | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
     iPad | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
    ...and a plethora of other computers and OSs
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Not that I'm even remotely qualified to comment on your work, but the only one that's doing anything for me is #4. I like the lines and mystery behind it. The arc of the wiper blade motion at 45 degrees against the black border top and bottom with contrasty colored yellow and white diagonals is intriguing to me. Then split the 45 in two halves, one clean, the other fuzzy for some mystery. Yeah, I like it.

The only part that distracts is the defroster vent shadow. If that wasn't there, I'd like it more, but I still like what's going on there.

• Options
    NyarthlopicNyarthlopic Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    For me, #4 is the best of the lot. I think the post kills #1 (not a big fan of taking a picture of a billboard, though...I see enough of those on my work commute). #2 reminds me of my grandparents' farm (the only thing missing is a separate garage), but it's just kind of there. #3...it's a road. ::shrug:: What makes #4 stick out for me is the fact that you focused on the rain covered windshield. I don't see too many shots like that. It's different, but in my mind, it's a good-different.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 5, 2011
    The last one is the best of the lot and it's not all that great. The subject in all the shots is ok but the reflections in the glass take away from the shot.

1. What's the subject of the shot, the bill board or the pole?

2. Cool shot but the rain drops on the glass take away from the shot.

3. Nothing is really in focus and again the reflection in the glass...

4. This would have been a great shot if not for the reflection in the glass.

Sorry if I sound negative but I find that honesty is best.
  • Options
    lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    So I have to ask. What made you post these?
    As Patti said, you would have flamed us for doing the same, drive by shooting. What about these images pulled you in or made you want to post them, just something different? They are not like anything I've seen you post before.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • Options
    M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I'm guessing the master wants to get inside our heads and see who's thinking and who's not. It's a test.

.......now, where did I put my tinfoil hat.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    Nothing nearly as thoughtful as that, Scott - although if I had any sense I'd say, 'of course. You don't think I posted this crap because I like it do you?'rolleyes1.gif

And Liz, in my mind there's 'drive by' and there's drive by. Drive by shooting is fine if it really nails something. I posted these because a. I sort of like them; and b., I thought they said something. I like what I see as the lonely grimness in all of them; I like the muted, rainy colors; I like the emptiness. But maybe I'm just seeing what I felt when I saw the scenes, and I didn't capture it photographically at 50 mph.

I would note that I have said - repeatedly - that we are our own worst editors. Apparently this is a great example of that.

And Scott, and everyone else - of course you can comment on, trash, my work. After all, you see what you see, and what you see is valid. In this case what you may have seen is a lack of clothing on the photographer. rolleyes1.gif

Oh - the first one - I was photographing the sign split by the pole. And the colors.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com