Options

Clone/Backup USB Hard Drives?

J.G.McClainJ.G.McClain Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited January 8, 2011 in Finishing School
Hi all,

Two related questions.

1) Dose anyone know if Bridge/Lightroom can copy images from one USB hard drive to another with reliability? If so, how?

We recently suffered a external drive crash, read head hit the platter, very sad. Even sadder is the bill from the drive recovery service!!! In order to keep this from ever happening again, we are putting a redundant drive policy into effect. The end result will be to have a exact copy of all images, customer documents and files on two drives.

For example, I have a 1TB drive that has the first half of the year for 2010 on it, I want to make an exact copy if that drive to a second 1TB drive.

At the same time, I am trying to avoid is spending to much time in windows explore copying one drive to the other. I don't fully trust windows explore, and would like to use the tools that we already have, if in fact they can do the job at hand?

2) The second question is, if bridge/lightroom can't or should not do it, what software are you using, or have used with success for this type of process.

Thanks for the read, and as always, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

~Jason
Jason G. McClain
Melissa McClain Photography
www.melissamcclainphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    HoodahmahnHoodahmahn Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    TeraCopy
    I'm not certain about Bridge or Lightroom, as they would be limited by the functions of the Windows OS.

When I am stuck working in the Windows OS -- especially when having to move large amounts of data -- I use TeraCopy (http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php).

Keeping in mind that a faster computer will help overall, and that large amounts of data take time no matter what ... TeraCopy is MUCH faster than the Windows default. :)
    _________
    http://ericmontgomery.smugmug.com/

Camera

Canon Powershot G6

Technology
     iMac 27" | 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7 | 16GB 1333 DDR3 | SL 10.6.5
     iPhone 4 | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
     iPad | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
    ...and a plethora of other computers and OSs
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hi all,

Two related questions.

1) Dose anyone know if Bridge/Lightroom can copy images from one USB hard drive to another with reliability? If so, how?

We recently suffered a external drive crash, read head hit the platter, very sad. Even sadder is the bill from the drive recovery service!!! In order to keep this from ever happening again, we are putting a redundant drive policy into effect. The end result will be to have a exact copy of all images, customer documents and files on two drives.

For example, I have a 1TB drive that has the first half of the year for 2010 on it, I want to make an exact copy if that drive to a second 1TB drive.

At the same time, I am trying to avoid is spending to much time in windows explore copying one drive to the other. I don't fully trust windows explore, and would like to use the tools that we already have, if in fact they can do the job at hand?

2) The second question is, if bridge/lightroom can't or should not do it, what software are you using, or have used with success for this type of process.

Thanks for the read, and as always, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

~Jason

1- not sure.......1A - need to have 2 spares of everything...so 1 working drive and 2 clones

2- I simply do a drag and drop every week and just have it over write everything all ready on the spares...do this when I go to bed or if I am going to a location shoot....start it then or anytime I am headed anywhere over night or longer.......

Also for cloning my "C" drive I used Acronis's Migrate Easy for a long time......they new software now ( Acronis True Image 2011 ) that is probably faster and better.....I went the acronis way because i had tried norton ghost and a couple of others...but none of my important software would run: MS office, or any adobe products....it seemed to leave important packets of code behind.....then I ran across Acronis Migrate Easy and tried the trial.......it worked and it was a full working copy so I had my first c drive cloned for free and I swapped drives and everything worked like a dream....at the time it was a mere $30....but today it is only $49 so it has not gone up that much and save you from not worrying about another crash.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    Hoodahmahn wrote: »
    I'm not certain about Bridge or Lightroom, as they would be limited by the functions of the Windows OS.

When I am stuck working in the Windows OS -- especially when having to move large amounts of data -- I use TeraCopy (http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php).

Keeping in mind that a faster computer will help overall, and that large amounts of data take time no matter what ... TeraCopy is MUCH faster than the Windows default. :)

will it actually CLONE a drive....like your C drive so that you can have a complete working copy of your entire system including added software........
    This was not one I had previously tried or even heard of til now.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    HoodahmahnHoodahmahn Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    No, TeraCopy is for copying. But it does a spectacular job and its free for 'home' use.

I don't use/like clone software. But I have recommended the Acronis software to many clients who seem to love it.
    Art Scott wrote: »
    will it actually CLONE a drive....like your C drive so that you can have a complete working copy of your entire system including added software........
    This was not one I had previously tried or even heard of til now.
    _________
    http://ericmontgomery.smugmug.com/

Camera

Canon Powershot G6

Technology
     iMac 27" | 2.93Ghz Quad-Core Intel i7 | 16GB 1333 DDR3 | SL 10.6.5
     iPhone 4 | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
     iPad | 16GB | iOS 4.2.1
    ...and a plethora of other computers and OSs
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    On a PC - Syncback SE (freeware)
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

On a Mac - Carbon Copy Cloner (free/donationware)
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    eoren1 wrote: »
    On a PC - Syncback SE (freeware)
    http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

On a Mac - Carbon Copy Cloner (free/donationware)

I too would take a file synchronization approach (versus cloning or backup based solutions).

There are quite a few excellent packages. Syncback is one. Another, open source and free solution is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/freefilesync/

There's a native 64-bit version and it supports the MS Volume Shadow Service too.
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Using LR when I import photos there is an option to make a backup copy to another drive.

Another option I have just started using is SyncToy
    download from here
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=C26EFA36-98E0-4EE9-A7C5-98D0592D8C52&displaylang=en

A basic tutorial on it's use.
    http://www.pchell.com/support/synctoy.shtml
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Like Art, I use Acronis True Image for backing up (creating an image) of my hard drives. But as part of my initial workflow, I use ImageIngesterPro (www.imageingester.com) for the initial import. I like it for it's ability to rename, tag, convert, and copy my images to up to three different drives during the import process (plus a number of other useful features).

You might want to have a look!

regards,
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    I use ChronoSync on the Mac and on the Windows machines I use SyncToy. Both of them allow for incremental copies without having to do everything. However if you are that concerned about failure and redundancy, don't forget to think about offsite storage. The backup is great, but if unfortunately both drives go bad due to power, there is a disaster, etc... having both copies in the same location can be a problem.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    meandirenemeandirene Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Other than just good habits...
    I was going to post a similar thread today, but I think this is as good a place as any to start.

I have a friend that while artistically gifted, can be somewhat technically challenged at times with her work flow. She's been burned recently with files she thought she copied over, but didn't realize she hadn't until several shoots later. I've looked at a couple of these software recommendations above, but they don't seem to spell out exactly what I'm looking for for her.

I'd like to recommend a very easy user interface that automatically copies all contents from the SD cards to a location on her hard drive, and then automatically copies those again to an external drive if/when mounted.

Thoughts or recommendations?
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    meandirene wrote: »
    I'd like to recommend a very easy user interface that automatically copies all contents from the SD cards to a location on her hard drive, and then automatically copies those again to an external drive if/when mounted.

The Lightroom 3 import dialog can already do this, you just have to turn on the option and choose the second location, which can be a separate disk. The importer with Adobe Bridge also does this. You just have to set it up. I think there are other utilities (PHoto Mechanic? Image Ingester? I don't use them) that allow a second backup location.

In Lightroom, during import, it's in the right panel under File Handling, there is a checkbox called "Make a Second Copy To..." and you set up the second copy location there and it will just do it transparently. I use it to make sure I can still get to the original import in case I somehow botch up my primary import after I erase the card. Just know that the backup won't include any edits made to the primary import, they're totally virgin raw files.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    I just used TeraCopy for the first time,

1) wow fast
    2) love the verify function

So far very happy, thank you for the all the information everyone.
    Jason G. McClain
  • Options
    meandirenemeandirene Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    colourbox wrote: »
    The Lightroom 3 import dialog can already do this, you just have to turn on the option and choose the second location, which can be a separate disk. The importer with Adobe Bridge also does this. You just have to set it up. I think there are other utilities (PHoto Mechanic? Image Ingester? I don't use them) that allow a second backup location.

In Lightroom, during import, it's in the right panel under File Handling, there is a checkbox called "Make a Second Copy To..." and you set up the second copy location there and it will just do it transparently. I use it to make sure I can still get to the original import in case I somehow botch up my primary import after I erase the card. Just know that the backup won't include any edits made to the primary import, they're totally virgin raw files.

Thanks, yeah I think I had picked up on that in a thread somewhere. I probably should have specified that I'm hoping to recommend either a freeware, or something relatively inexpensive to acquire JUST for this purpose as she already has an image editing software.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    We are using the dual location functions of the import to make a "virgin" raw file back up on all imports.

I think the tricky spot is that the "Generally Accepted" work flow, for the most part seems to be at minimum.

Step 1 - Import files, make 3 copies (1 working location, 1 back up, 1 archive)
    Step 2-? - Steps 2-? are the edit, convert, Metadata....
    Step 3 - Once all of that is done, we are faced with the questions of do you;

1) Take edits off the working location, and to the back up?
    2) Take edits off the working location, to back up, and archive?

I tend to like to keep a separate Archive by event, of just the virgin raw files that I dont touch just in case. Then I will pull my edits from the working location, to the back up, and to the archive location.
    Hind sight is 20x20, at least the drive that we lost had externally old data on it, and we do have an online copy of all the edited files, just not the raw, well until the hard-drive recovery company calls us back (I hope).

My wish list of items for bridge/light room would be for it to allow a additional function for making two copies of a file on import. Placing the original in the working location, one on the back up drive, and another in the archive.

Then again, I just might be a little OCD when it comes to this sort of thing, but I am ok with that.
    Jason G. McClain
  • Options
    dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    meandirene wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah I think I had picked up on that in a thread somewhere. I probably should have specified that I'm hoping to recommend either a freeware, or something relatively inexpensive to acquire JUST for this purpose as she already has an image editing software.

I recently purchase a Segate and a Maxtor external hard drives and both of them had software that will synchronize Files and folders between your computer and the external drive.

Synctoy mentioned above also does this.

Have your friend import as they always have and just use one of the options mentioned to Backup or synchronize their import folder to an external drive I posted a link to a basic tutorial for using Synctoy above.
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Options
    AnthonyAnthony Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Adding to the options - without, hopefully adding to any confusion over choices, I have used Replicator, a free program from Karen Kenworthy...

http://www.karenware.com/

This is a really simple program to replicate selected files/folders/drives and to be able to set schedules for doing so as regularly as you like. It would be simplicity itself to have a selection of files/etc. replicated once, twice, n times. It is worth checking out as once set up, it just runs by itself. It works well on our little home network, happily copying files from PC to PC and from PC to external hard drive as required.

Anthony.
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Starting with Windows Vista, Windows has included Robocopy. It very fast, knows about retry, and understands networks. It's been kind of a stealth copy utility for about 10 years or more, but before Vista it only came in resource kits. It does plain ol' copying and mirroring and lots of other variations. It's a command line utility. If you are not comforatable with a command line utility with lot's of switches, then this isn't for you. Just type robocopy /? on the command line and you will see what I mean.
    Hi all,

Two related questions.

~Jason
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    We are using the dual location functions of the import to make a "virgin" raw file back up on all imports.

I think the tricky spot is that the "Generally Accepted" work flow, for the most part seems to be at minimum.

Step 1 - Import files, make 3 copies (1 working location, 1 back up, 1 archive)
    Step 2-? - Steps 2-? are the edit, convert, Metadata....
    Step 3 - Once all of that is done, we are faced with the questions of do you;

1) Take edits off the working location, and to the back up?
    2) Take edits off the working location, to back up, and archive?

Step 1 is pretty much as I do it
    Step 2..yeah edit, crop and convert to jpg for saving
    Step 3 - clone working drive to other 2 and overwrite them......

step 4 - Now I am done 3 exact copies of everything done up to now.....if I lose a drive I buy another and clone it still have 2 send bad one off to seagate for replacement and this is where the circle is