Options

help on licensing pricing for business cards

GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
edited January 5, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
I aproached a florist shop today, offering them free business cards with a flower from their shop on it with my contact info on the bottom, photography by etc. She loved the cards but would prefer not to have my info on there, so she asked what I would charge to do the cards for her, but photograph a rose instead of the tulip that I had.

Im not that experienced in commercial work and pricing, im just starting to figure out my non commercial pricing.

She is interested in 500 cards, single sided with a rose on the front. The cost of the cards might be as low as $12 if the sale is still on, otherwise it might be around $40 after shipping from overnightprints.com

Whats a fair but worth while fee for this? Keeping in mind she may order more later once these cards get used up.

I was also thinking of offering a higher rights option, where they would get the files to print as many as they want, for a higher fee of course.

The actual photography time shouldnt be to much, and they provided the rose for free. Although Ill have to buy another rose, the one they provided got slightly damaged in the car.

Comments

• Options
    orljustinorljustin Registered Users Posts: 193 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2011
    Just charge her $100 for the cards and be done.

Although you're telling us the flower shop does not have cards at all? Strange.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2011
    They have business cards, but they have a clipart or something for the main image. I must have impressed her with the cards I designed for her, her first reaction was she has lots of cards, then she asked about me designing a card for her.

do you mean $100 for the 500 cards, or $100 for the printable files with unlimited printing rights?
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    orljustin wrote: »
    Just charge her $100 for the cards and be done.

I agree.
    Don't get ahead of yourself with complication that is inappropriate for this simple transaction.
    If you do you'll end up with nothing at all.
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2011
    I dont see how giving her two options is complicated, and she asked how much 500 cards would cost, so I dont think shes considered buying the rights to print as many as she wants, or maybe she knows a thing about photography and licensing and doesnt watn to outlay the kind of money that is involved in buying the rights. So I might be damaging the transaction buy charging to much by only offering the files.

But $100 is whats normal for a business card design and picture licensing? I was guessing $200, but again I dont know much about this. I was thinking of adding between $15 and $25 to the cost of the cards, and the cards will probably cost $35 to $45 after shipping if I dont get that special to work.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Good grief.................It sounds like a dirt simple plain Jane business card.

Charge them $100.00 for the properly sized, color space, resolution file, and be done with it.

Sam