Phase One 645AF (Mamiya 645AFD III) - Good or Bad?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited January 12, 2011 in Cameras
Is there anybody who uses Phase One 645AF (Mamiya 645AFD III?)
Is the AF fast (relatively) and accurate?
Which digital back do you recommend?

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 5, 2011
    What is your photographic application?

What do you use now?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    What is your photographic application?

What do you use now?

I mainly use 35mm for wedding photography. I mainly shoot weddings.
    I would like to try new areas...
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 9, 2011
    I have used camera backs in the past. I think you would enjoy the Phase One for posed and formal images where the tonality and dynamic range lend to the image.

I do not think that the Phase One would be as suitable for ceremony and candids where the speed and nimbleness of a FF 135 format dSLR really shines. (You don't need a FF camera for any candid of course, but it wouldn't hurt either.)

I suggest renting a Phase One system, or a Hasselblad "H" series system for that matter, to determine for yourself.

A very good forum for asking this question would be:

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewforum.php?f=26
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    Agreed.

Medium format digital is generally geared for a more controlled environment. Low light/high ISO isn't where most of these cameras shine, because they weren't designed with that in mind, or at least as a primary application.
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    haring wrote: »
    Is there anybody who uses Phase One 645AF (Mamiya 645AFD III?)
    Is the AF fast (relatively) and accurate?
    Which digital back do you recommend?
    Thanks!

I haven't researched the Mamiya 645 in years and years.

When I shot medium format film for weddings, I looked into the Mamiya 645 as an alternate to the 6x6cm Hasselblad system I was using.

The aspect of the 645 that bothered me was that the back did not rotate (as the back of the 6x7cm Mamiya did). IMO, rotating this camera to get a vertical composition was not particularly convenient for me.

I also like the square format Hasselblad because I could use a flash bracket with the flash in one position, rather than using a swivel bracket to keep the flash above my camera lens.

I did not mind looking down to frame my images because I was used to shooting with both Rollei and Mamiya twin lens reflex cameras.

I don't know if things have changed with the digital backs, regarding portrait position, but, I don't think so.

Another thing about the Mamiya 645 was that, at the time, there was only one between the shutter lens available for the 645. When using the other lenses, you needed to utilize the focal plane shutter of the 645 and were quite restricted as to sync speeds. Of course, the lenses for the Mamiya 645 were one heck of a lot less expensive than the lenses for my Hasselblad equipment.
  • dougpetersoncidougpetersonci Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2011
    The Phase One DF body has a V-Grip Air which allows very stable/easy vertical shooting. It also adds a wireless flash transmitter so an assistant can carry an AcuteB Air (or similar) and you can have studio quality strobe (with a bare head all the way to a large softbox) with no cables or cords.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
  • dougpetersoncidougpetersonci Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 11, 2011
    run_kmc wrote: »
    Agreed.

Medium format digital is generally geared for a more controlled environment. Low light/high ISO isn't where most of these cameras shine, because they weren't designed with that in mind, or at least as a primary application.

The P40+ can shoot at ISO3200. It's not super clean, but used as a black and white it's quite good. ISO1600 is pretty clean.

That said, there is no argument that dSLRS shine in situations where light is minimal - they have faster lenses (e.g. f/1.2), image stabilization, and can shoot at ludicrous ISOs like ISO 12,800.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
  • haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I haven't researched the Mamiya 645 in years and years.

When I shot medium format film for weddings, I looked into the Mamiya 645 as an alternate to the 6x6cm Hasselblad system I was using.

The aspect of the 645 that bothered me was that the back did not rotate (as the back of the 6x7cm Mamiya did). IMO, rotating this camera to get a vertical composition was not particularly convenient for me.

I also like the square format Hasselblad because I could use a flash bracket with the flash in one position, rather than using a swivel bracket to keep the flash above my camera lens.

I did not mind looking down to frame my images because I was used to shooting with both Rollei and Mamiya twin lens reflex cameras.

I don't know if things have changed with the digital backs, regarding portrait position, but, I don't think so.

Another thing about the Mamiya 645 was that, at the time, there was only one between the shutter lens available for the 645. When using the other lenses, you needed to utilize the focal plane shutter of the 645 and were quite restricted as to sync speeds. Of course, the lenses for the Mamiya 645 were one heck of a lot less expensive than the lenses for my Hasselblad equipment.

Thanks a LOT!
  • JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    I'm still waiting, one day I will purchase a new Mamiya body. Dropped $12k++ on a whole setup back when the 645AF came out. My body is beat to crap but lenses are still in great shape. Once I get to a point where I can afford to switch for my panorama photography, it's game on.