Women's Basketball (4 pics)

PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited September 24, 2005 in Sports
I enjoy shooting sporting events, but I just can seem to get it together. Here are a few of my attempts. Still working on my handheld techniques, but I need some help. I also need some suggestions for future lenses.

31211982-M-1.jpg

31518595-L.jpg

31519456-L.jpg

23235445-M.jpg

Playe

Comments

• morrisphotography2003morrisphotography2003 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2005
    PlayeTyme wrote:
    I enjoy shooting sporting events, but I just can seem to get it together. Here are a few of my attempts. Still working on my handheld techniques, but I need some help. I also need some suggestions for future lenses.

31211982-M-1.jpg

31518595-L.jpg

31519456-L.jpg

23235445-M.jpg

Playe
    They are a very nice start, the problem that I have with them is that there are alot of distractions in the foreground :people's heads. The last one is my favorite one because of the action. other than that the only thing that upsets me is the lack of fan support.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited September 19, 2005
    You've got ball, action and some faces. You need horizon, white balance and a bit
    more lens (something akin to #3).

It takes some practice to get the floor (horizon) level. The white balance can be
    corrected using an Expodisk or even a white coffee filter and the custom white
    balance of the camera. For the lens, I would suggest something around 50-85mm
    for under the basket and maybe 100-200 for the far court. Fast lenses are better
    than slow.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 20, 2005
    Hiya PT and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

You've received some really good feedback so far. I'm sure you realize how challenging this sort of photography is :uhoh I think you are well on your way though thumb.gif

Your last shot looks very good to me. Nice color and contrast, good action, faces and a less distracting background clap.gif

I'm at work so I can't dl your pics to check your EXIF data. So what camera, lens, speed, and ISO were you using? This looks like a WNBA game so the lighting was probably better than decent :): Not that the camera brand makes a difference, but it will help us get a better idea of what lenses to suggest. As Ian mentions, 50-85mm is really nice, with a 1.5X/1.6X camera if you can get close to the action. The 100-200mm range works out better if you are farther from the action or using a 1X/1,3X camera. The key thing is to go for lens speed, IMO. Max apertures of F1.4-F2.0 (worst case F2.8) is the way to go for low light action.

Lastly, keep working on your post processing skills. I have found that you can really make your sports pic "pop" with a good pp workflow.

Hopefully, our mistress of all sports shooting (Winger) will stop in and give you some additional feedback and her perspective. You can also check out this site for sport shooting tips and information.

Again, welcome and even though the WNBA season is over I hope to see more of your sports shots soon :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • PlayeTymePlayeTyme Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 21, 2005
    They are a very nice start, the problem that I have with them is that there are alot of distractions in the foreground :people's heads. The last one is my favorite one because of the action. other than that the only thing that upsets me is the lack of fan support.
    Thanks 4 being so kind. Hopefully the fan support will improve next season (along with my photog skills). :cry
    ian408 wrote:
    You've got ball, action and some faces. You need horizon, white balance and a bit
    more lens (something akin to #3).

It takes some practice to get the floor (horizon) level. The white balance can be
    corrected using an Expodisk or even a white coffee filter and the custom white
    balance of the camera. For the lens, I would suggest something around 50-85mm
    for under the basket and maybe 100-200 for the far court. Fast lenses are better
    than slow.

Ian
    Thanks Ian. I'm looking 4 a fast prime, but will have to wait until the new season starts. I've changed locations and want to make sure I'll have enough reach.

Playe
    Hiya PT and welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

You've received some really good feedback so far. I'm sure you realize how challenging this sort of photography is uhoh2.gif I think you are well on your way though thumb.gif

Your last shot looks very good to me. Nice color and contrast, good action, faces and a less distracting background clap.gif

I'm at work so I can't dl your pics to check your EXIF data. So what camera, lens, speed, and ISO were you using? This looks like a WNBA game so the lighting was probably better than decent xzicon_smile_cool.gif Not that the camera brand makes a difference, but it will help us get a better idea of what lenses to suggest. As Ian mentions, 50-85mm is really nice, with a 1.5X/1.6X camera if you can get close to the action. The 100-200mm range works out better if you are farther from the action or using a 1X/1,3X camera. The key thing is to go for lens speed, IMO. Max apertures of F1.4-F2.0 (worst case F2.8) is the way to go for low light action.

Lastly, keep working on your post processing skills. I have found that you can really make your sports pic "pop" with a good pp workflow.

Hopefully, our mistress of all sports shooting (Winger) will stop in and give you some additional feedback and her perspective. You can also check out this site for sport shooting tips and information.

Again, welcome and even though the WNBA season is over I hope to see more of your sports shots soon icon10.gif

Steve
    Hi Steve and thanks 4 the welcome. All pics were shot with a D300 and 50/1.8.

Pic #1:
    Shutter-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) - 1/250
    Av( Aperture Value ) - 1.8
    Evaluative Metering
    Exposure Compensation - 0
    ISO Speed - 200
    Lens - 50.0mm
    Focal Length - 50.0mm
    Flash - Off
    White Balance Mode - Auto
    AF Mode - AI Focus AF
    Parameters Settings
    Contrast Mid. High
    Sharpness Mid. High
    Color saturation Mid. High
    Color tone 0
    Color Space - sRGB

Pic #2:
    Shutter-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) - 1/320
    Metering Mode - Evaluative Metering
    ISO Speed - 200
    Lens - 50.0mm
    Focal Length - 50.0mm
    Flash - Off
    AF Mode - AI Focus AF
    Parameters Settings
    Contrast Mid. High
    Sharpness Mid. High
    Color tone 0
    Color Space - sRGB

Pic #3:
    Shooting Mode - Shutter-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) - 1/320
    ISO Speed - 200
    Lens - 50.0mm
    Focal Length - 50.0mm
    Flash - Off
    AF Mode - AI Focus AF
    Parameters Settings
    Contrast Mid. High
    Sharpness Mid. High
    Color tone 0
    Color Space - sRGB

Pic #4:
    Shooting Mode - Shutter-Priority AE
    Tv( Shutter Speed ) - 1/400
    Av( Aperture Value ) - 2.2
    ISO Speed - 800
    Lens - 50.0mm
    Focal Length - 50.0mm
    Flash - Off
    AF Mode - AI Focus AF
    Parameters Settings
    Contrast Mid. High
    Sharpness Mid. High
    Color tone 0
    Color Space - sRGB

Hope I included everything. And thanks for the site.

Playe
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited September 22, 2005
    PT,

My suggestion would be to bump your ISO up to 400 (still pretty noise-free with the 300D) if you don't mind shooting wide open. This will double your shutter speeds (except for that last ISO800 shot-although not shot wide open). 1/500+ speeds will pretty much "freeze" basketball action and give you sharper shots.

I'd also suggest looking into purchasing the Canon 85mm F1.8. It is also pretty sharp wide open and will get you another 55mm's closer to the action. Personally, I think this is one of Canons best non-L lenses thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2005
    are you shooting from a seat as a fan....or is that just the photo position you choose?

Ok here is what I like the action on 1,3 and 4. You got not only great action shots but differnet action shots than you might normally see with hoops....especially womans hoops. And they claim the women dont jump and dunk alot...these girls got game.

Sorry I got of on a tanget.

Now the nice thing about getting a prime, or even a lens down to 2.8 is that you will be able to get that background to blur out. Its very distracting as it is now. But if you are shooting from a seat and your brought your camera in as a fan there isnt much you can do. right? ne_nau.gif . Unless they let you move around, if thats the case try some other spots. For hoops when I am on the floor I like to shoot from two places right near the hoop with a 24-70 or on the corner with my 70-200. But shooting from the end of the court (which now the more I talk about where I shoot I am starting to understand why I like to shoot from there....see other threads)....

Anyways from shooting at the end of the court you will be able to a) get the play action coming at you b) remove most distracting backgrounds c) I know my camera has a lot better time tracking the darker skined players with the AF when it has the court as the background, rather than the crowd.
    Not to say shooting from the side is bad.

The last one you shot is nice and crisp in the colors......see here is where I am usless I make pretty pictures but i am not entirely sure how (and i use manual too go figure ne_nau.gif ) Doctorit I think gets annoyed when he shows me what another button on my camera does.

From the side of the court:
    34305055-M-1.jpg
    33821544-M-1.jpg
    (and here is where I yell at myself...bad background...bad background)
    but it was shot from half way up on the side but at the end of the court.
    After I shoot a couple of games, had a whole collection of safe shots, I would basically spend 1/2 the game collecting shots for the website to tell the "game story" and then I started experimenting with other things.

Dont forget the action on the sideline
    33978303-M-1.jpg

This one was from the side of the court and one of my favorites of the year....I think partly cause of the artistic value to it. He makes such a pleasant looking curve with his body
    33823515-M.jpg

From the end of the court.
    Dont stop shooting!!!!
    33823777-M-1.jpg
    From the corner
    33497118-M.jpg

Sorry I had to sneak this one in:
    33980013-M-1.jpg

Again from the end of the court:
    33979959-M-1.jpg
    See how the background is far enough back where it is not distracting thought.

My basketball shots are not my best sport....but I hope you sort of see what I mean. I partially like to show my stuff off (i mean what photograhper doesnt) but I also think seeing things visual is a good way to learn ( i know for me it helps as well as actually doing it).

Dont forget the dancers:
    33981158-M-1.jpg

I really never liked the cheerleaders or dancers before I started shooting but they do make great photos.

Is anyone looking for a sports photograhper cause I know one looking for work....me. :(
    edited September 24, 2005
    PT,

My suggestion would be to bump your ISO up to 400 (still pretty noise-free with the 300D) if you don't mind shooting wide open. This will double your shutter speeds (except for that last ISO800 shot-although not shot wide open). 1/500+ speeds will pretty much "freeze" basketball action and give you sharper shots.

I'd also suggest looking into purchasing the Canon 85mm F1.8. It is also pretty sharp wide open and will get you another 55mm's closer to the action. Personally, I think this is one of Canons best non-L lenses thumb.gif

Steve
    Steve,

Just ordered the 85/1.8. I'll practice at some H/S events until the NBA season starts. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Playe :):
    edited September 24, 2005
    Hi Winger,
    winger wrote:
    are you shooting from a seat as a fan....or is that just the photo position you choose?

Yes, I'm shooting from the seats as a fan.

Ok here is what I like the action on 1,3 and 4. You got not only great action shots but differnet action shots than you might normally see with hoops....especially womans hoops. And they claim the women dont jump and dunk alot...these girls got game.

15524779-Ti.gif the girls can play above the rim.

Now the nice thing about getting a prime, or even a lens down to 2.8 is that you will be able to get that background to blur out. Its very distracting as it is now. But if you are shooting from a seat and your brought your camera in as a fan there isnt much you can do. right? ne_nau.gif . Unless they let you move around, if thats the case try some other spots. For hoops when I am on the floor I like to shoot from two places right near the hoop with a 24-70 or on the corner with my 70-200. But shooting from the end of the court (which now the more I talk about where I shoot I am starting to understand why I like to shoot from there....see other threads)....

:cry yes, I am restricted - lens length, movement, etc... However with the info from these responses and lots of practice, I think I will get better shots that the ones posted.

Thanks for the tips. I'll practice with background adjustments. I can't see your pics, but will try back in a few. Having PC probs here.

Anyways from shooting at the end of the court you will be able to a) get the play action coming at you b) remove most distracting backgrounds c) I know my camera has a lot better time tracking the darker skined players with the AF when it has the court as the background, rather than the crowd.
    Not to say shooting from the side is bad.

That could explain some of the focusing anomalities that I was getting. I just assumed I pressed a 'wrong' button - rolleyes1.gif

Playe