Anyone use KEH for repairs?

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 8, 2011 in Cameras
While on vacation in the Philippines, one of my recurring nightmares came true. I was walking down the stairs of the hotel to go shoot some sunset pics with my camera on my tripod, the camera came loose from the tripod head and fell off. It hit the second to the last step and then bounced onto the floor. As you could imagine, I felt like I was going to cry. The lens I had on it, Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 (aka Beast) took the brunt of the impact. Amazingly, the glass survived and there are literally no dents on the body of the lens. However, the metal ring that mounts to the body bent. The lens still focuses manually and I can zoom but only partially because the bent ring is warping the base of the lens. I can't mount it to the camera so really can test the AF.

I ended up leaving it in the Philippines with my in-laws for them to drop it off at the local authorized Nikon repair shop in Manila. I will hear from them next week with an estimate. I'm figuring it should be cheaper their since labor is really inexpensive in the Philippines.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with KEH as far as repairs goes. I checked their site and they are located hear in California. A bit of a drive for me but I don't mind. The lens is old and out of warranty so I'm not too concerned with having it done by Nikon. I just want some options in case the Philippines can't fix it or it seems too high.

I have no clue how much it's going to cost since I've never had any like this repaired. Any ideas from you guys of cost? I figure I'm willing to have it repaired as long as it costs lens than 50% of the replacement cost. Does that make sense. I love the lens.
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I though they were in Atlanta.... Or do they have multiple locations?
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Yes!

They repaired my Older Nikon 35-70 several years back. It took some time to get the pieces from Nikon of course, but the repair was well done and not overly expensive considering they had to replace actual glass element/s.

One nice thing is, Now that I am in Georgia, I can visit them if I need or want to. I went there about two Months ago and they had about 20 or 30 used camera cases for sale for $14 ea. I bought three, all metal and with Locks! Also had lots of other stuff like that for sale right in the lobby since they do not have a retail store.

I had no idea they had a location in Ca.
    tom wise
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    DOH! You guys are right, they aren't located in California. I saw Riverside, CA on there site some where when I was checking them out. I just went and checked and realized it was a customer review from Riverside. Well... guess I can ship it to them.

I'm crossing my fingers that the Nikon shop in Manila comes through for me.

My Smug Site
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I really like Pho-Tech out of Hesston Kansas The link takes you to their home page and on the right there is a place to have a conversation with the owner/technician Bernie Barge...he is a great guy and I have never felt as if I was over charged or taken advantage of.......Good Luck....I can feel your pain.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Solaros1Solaros1 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 6, 2011
    I use these guys in Marietta, GA (not far from KEH) - they do a lot of repairs for pros in the Atlanta area and are really nice folks.

http://peachtreecamerarepair.com/index2.php
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I have used them to repair a 17-35 Nikon 2.8 I dropped, which caused the zoom ring and focus to stop working. Turn around was about 4 weeks as parts had to be ordered. About 3 months later, zoom ring stopped working again, but it still focused. I sent it in and turn around was a week as repairs under warranty get priority and it was no charge. Got a note saying the main barrel needs replacing to be 100% but they got it working again. I would use them again.
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    jonh68 wrote: »
    I have used them to repair a 17-35 Nikon 2.8 I dropped, which caused the zoom ring and focus to stop working. Turn around was about 4 weeks as parts had to be ordered. About 3 months later, zoom ring stopped working again, but it still focused. I sent it in and turn around was a week as repairs under warranty get priority and it was no charge. Got a note saying the main barrel needs replacing to be 100% but they got it working again. I would use them again.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the repair set you back?

My Smug Site
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    If you don't mind me asking, how much did the repair set you back?

With the parts it was $350. They have a standard rate and then it's a matter if they need to get parts. If you have questions call them. You get someone in their tech dept. If you get the answer machine just call back a little later.