Savannah's Historic Water Front

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited January 8, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
Down in the deep South, when cotton was King, the " Factor's Walk " area of Savannah's water front was the center of that universe. The word " factor" in this case means " broker ". It was here that all cotton trade was governed and prices around the world were set. If you were anybody in the world of cotton, you spent time at " Factors Walk ".

Factors Walk is made up of a long row of 5 and 6 story buildings bordered on the back side by the river and by high bluffs and street-level Savannah on the front. When the cotton trade was roaring, these buildings all served as massive warehouses and office space. Today they are largely occupied by tourist-oriented shops, restaurants, galleries, etc. Some upper-end offices are still there....mostly facing the town side.

I got up early to get down there and beat the crowds. But, brother, it was cold on the water front.

1147964905_HUjbj-XL.jpg

1147965264_WJ6LV-XL.jpg

These cobble stone roads are murder on the feet, will beat a car senseless, and are sure death on motorcycles ( I know )
1147965416_7zkbq-XL.jpg

1148062070_9nVUg-XL.jpg

This is the front side to a building....facing Savannah proper. These concrete walkways are at street level and connect to the rest of the city. They will typically tie into the building at the 3rd story level.
1148062225_uKB2u-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    Very nice series Tom thumb.gif

I see some familiar places there!

I'll second ya' Tom on that cobblestone road. I thought it was going to beat my Mini apart, until I found that my tires fit perfectly on top of the RR tracks! Although, I learned that if your going to ride on the tracks, you'd better keep an eye out for the trolley, cause they don't slow down eek7.gif

I almost twisted an ankle 3 or 4 times when I was there last year. That doesn't sound significant, until you see many a woman walking along this cobblestone road in Stilettos eek7.gif , and they didn't seem to have any problems at all...
    Randy
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2011
    I really enjoyed your series of photos and the story of cotton. When driving through OK one year I saw lots of cotton. Always found it fascinating. Maybe because all I see is wheat and soybeans up here :D

Found the last photo interesting ... how the walkways connect to the 3rd floor.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    rwells wrote: »
    Very nice series Tom thumb.gif

I see some familiar places there!

I'll second ya' Tom on that cobblestone road. I thought it was going to beat my Mini apart, until I found that my tires fit perfectly on top of the RR tracks! Although, I learned that if your going to ride on the tracks, you'd better keep an eye out for the trolley, cause they don't slow down eek7.gif

I almost twisted an ankle 3 or 4 times when I was there last year. That doesn't sound significant, until you see many a woman walking along this cobblestone road in Stilettos eek7.gif , and they didn't seem to have any problems at all...

There's a flip side to that coin. I saw one gal bust her butt right proper when she mixed the cobble stones and her high heels. I can't imagine how rough those roads must have been with steel-rimed or wooden wheels on the old carriages.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited January 6, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I really enjoyed your series of photos and the story of cotton. When driving through OK one year I saw lots of cotton. Always found it fascinating. Maybe because all I see is wheat and soybeans up here :D

Found the last photo interesting ... how the walkways connect to the 3rd floor.

Hi Mary,

Going through South Carolina recently, I took a back road I've never been on before. I ran up on cotton fields that literally went for miles and miles. I just didn't realize that so much cotton was still being grown here now.

Take care,

Tom
  • konomaniackonomaniac Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I can't imagine how rough those roads must have been with steel-rimed or wooden wheels on the old carriages.

I don't know - those wheels had a much larger radius than today's vehicles. I'm sure it was bumpy, but not sure it was much worse that what you would experience today.
    --- Kono ---
    Pentax K-x and assorted lenses
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Great job Tom. clap.gif
  • TenThirteenTenThirteen Registered Users Posts: 488 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I Love city shots like these, thanks!!
    Canon Fan
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Howdy Tom,

Really a neat series of images, looks like a wonderful
    place to see and visit, but it does look cold there.

I can't even imagine all the History and Stories
    that crossed those Cobblestones.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited January 8, 2011
    konomaniac wrote: »
    I don't know - those wheels had a much larger radius than today's vehicles. I'm sure it was bumpy, but not sure it was much worse that what you would experience today.

Thanks for commenting. A bigger concern would have been the footing experienced by horses. It had to have been extremely dicey for them....especially when these roads were wet. Hooves and slippery stones....a real nightmare.

Tom
    edited January 8, 2011
    Azzaro wrote: »
    Great job Tom. clap.gif

Thanks, Gary. I appreciate it.

Tom
    edited January 8, 2011
    I Love city shots like these, thanks!!

You're welcome. Thanks for the visit.

Tom
    edited January 8, 2011
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy Tom,

Really a neat series of images, looks like a wonderful
    place to see and visit, but it does look cold there.

I can't even imagine all the History and Stories
    that crossed those Cobblestones.

Yo Graig,

THERE WILL BE A TIME when several of our group will get together ( anybody is invited ). I can't think of any place more conducive to a great experience than Savannah. Charleston would be a close second-place.

Take care, my friend,

Tom