New to the studio stuff - starwberry shortcake

AllannAllann Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited January 9, 2011 in People
Hi, thought I'd share a shot with you from a recent studio shoot. I fairly new to studio work, but have been doing natural light portraits for about a year. So i'd be happy to receive any critique, good or bad, on how I can improve.

1122092008_moCTK-XL.jpg

1131098415_CNvDF-XL.jpg

I used a lit white muslin backdrop and 2 alienbee B400s, and a 580exII speedlight (hairlight) for this shot. The strawberry was obviously shot separately but in the same lighting conditions and then Nicole was added to that image afterwards.

Thanks for looking
Canon 5D2, 1D3
600/4 L, 70-200/2.8 L, 24-70 L

My smugmug account

Comments

• HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Not particularly fond of the pose for #1. Maybe if your angle was lower looking up more.

What is on your Bees's? Just a reflector or a box? The light seems too high as her brow is shading the light from hitting her eyes.
  • AllannAllann Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Thanks Charles. Will keep that in mind if I do it again. I'd had to put the model on a box or something, as it was the camera was on the floor, as the model was sitting on the floor.
    re the bees, #1, box on low right, beauty dish high left. #2, single bee with box directly right, and just bounced light back from left. With that one I was attempting to create a little more depth in the shot using shadow, maybe a bit too much.
    Thanks for the feedback though.
    Canon 5D2, 1D3

My smugmug account
    edited January 6, 2011
    When placing your main light think of an arrow coming out of the head on a 45 angle. No matter how the head is turned put the light on that axis to the head. Your light will almost be perfect all the time. I wish I could claim that advice but it comes from Gary Box.
    edited January 6, 2011
    Thanks again Charles for your advice. I do use this rule as a default starting point when using lights. However, I'm one of these people that once I know and understand the rule, I wanna break it to see what effects it has. I have even placed the model directly in front of the softbox, shooting INTO the light as per this example:
    1089990649_4hyeD-XL.jpg

But it's so different working in the studio, building the light up from black. Coming from Natural Light portraits where you use modifiers to balance and work with ambient light, this is quite interesting and open to so many moods and styles. I have found moving the light just 5cm in any given direction can make or break the shot.
    Canon 5D2, 1D3

My smugmug account
    edited January 6, 2011
    You are so correct, light placement is so necessary and the need to experiment and play to find serendipity.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »
    When placing your main light think of an arrow coming out of the head on a 45 angle. No matter how the head is turned put the light on that axis to the head. Your light will almost be perfect all the time. I wish I could claim that advice but it comes from Gary Box.

I'm having a hard time visualizing that but i think I get it :D

Cute shots by the way.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Hackbone wrote: »

Charles, do you mean always at 45deg fixed relative to the camera?

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 7, 2011
    Allann, I'm thinking what about a pale pastel rainbowy bg instead of the blank "blanc"? I'd like to see a bit more skin! And a bit more play. There's a lot of potential narrative but it's not much realised, I think. Room for a bit more naughtiness!

I think the lighting is successful in #1, but I don't think the idea you were traveling on in #2 was getting you very far. The model has an appropriate and appealing country fair girl look.

Craftily composited. I noticed the correct shadows! Well done!

Enjoyed them!

Neil

edited January 7, 2011
    Neil, stare directly into the camera with an line extending out of your head on a 45 angle up and to the side in relation to the camera. You need to think on two planes. Once the angle is set it becomes permanent. No matter how you turn the head the angle moves with it. This would be the proper position for the light to get a Rembrandt lighting effect. This is the effect most photographers try to emulate. Not to be mean but alot of the photos posted here by beginners are lit very flat meaning the light is hitting them perpendicular. Only a very slim face can handle that type of lighting.

Here is a rough example of where to put the light.

1149355085_RxxZe-XL.jpg
    edited January 7, 2011
    Think of a helmet on your head with this set up of an arrow stuck to the helmet. No matter how you turn your head the arrow will move cause it is stuck to the helmet. You will always place the light on that line.
    edited January 7, 2011
    Yes I get it, thanks greatly, Charles. I remembered too coming across this rule elsewhere quite a while ago, but it didn't stick with me. It should this time!mwink.gif

Neil

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Double that, thanks Charles.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 9, 2011
    Thanks Charles, it's always good to get a refresher course on lighting.

Neil, we did play a fair bit but I understand what your saying.
    1140429390_hWR7t-L.jpg

Nicole is not a model and did not feel too comfortable in front of the camera. These images were just so that she could keep some pictures of the costume before she sold it. Here are a few other "more country" style images we took
    1140421959_TDe8U-L.jpg

1140424759_gdWNg-L.jpg

1140427349_iXDmF-L.jpg

If you want to check out the rest of the gallery, feel free. Again, thanks all for your comments, it all helps.
    Canon 5D2, 1D3

My smugmug account