Cheating at Night

ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
edited January 6, 2011 in Other Cool Shots
1148536470_ypD3V-L.jpg

(sorry about the giant watermark, but want you to see the top anyway)

Took this star trails picture last night for the sole purpose of trying out a stock PS Action that ships with CS5. I had not seen it until yesterday, but there is a new action called "Star Trails." I have previously used the Star Trails stacking action that is available on the internet to stack multiple exposures of a starry sky and build such a picture. I was wondering if that is what the new built-in action was for. Just to see what it would do, I ran the action on this night shot, and wwooowww, it builds a night's worth of star trails out of a single exposure! Again, this is from one 15-sec exposure!

Granted, I had to go back to the original and mask out the lighthouse itself as the action twisted it on a radial as well. But, even though I am feeling a little guilty about this, I am thinking about collecting a set of north-facing night shots of nothing but a starry sky, and using them with this action to add star trails to any picture I want, and not have to go out and monitor the camera for 90 minutes in the cold!

Anyone else used this?
uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
ackdoc.com