Night photo Shoot for CC

FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited January 7, 2011 in People

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    It was about 26 degrees out and my hands were amazing numb by the time we got our rhythm and the lights dialed in. Gerard is an aspiring young model in NYC and works well. Next time I will snoot my rear flash to get a tighter rim? Front lighting was with a hand held 28" Wescott Apollo.

1148231657_piiVq-X2.jpg
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    I like them both a lot. #2 is my favorite. #1 seems like it could use just a bump in contrast. Maybe set the white/black point. I think that will liven it up quite a bit. Also, although not deal breakers, the door peaking out on the right side and the white statue behind him are a bit distracting. Maybe crop out the door and burn the statue a bit.

Like I said... really nice.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
    edited January 6, 2011
    Thanks,
    Any one else have a comment or suggestion?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Nice start. I think the kicker is too hot in #2 but just right in #1. Try to get it up at a higher angle shooting downward. Agree on upping the black point .
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    My monitor is not good...having said that I really like the first shot. Crop out the light from the left and misc. stuff on the right.
    I kind of like the second one also but needs more light from the front since the light from behind is so strong.
    Good efforts.
    edited January 6, 2011
    Thanks for the great advice. I was actually trying to have the remote flash in the 1st pic visible to give it some edgy urban flair. Only 2 shots for the entire evening had the fill flash visible. Here is the other one and I feel it is too much.

1148786878_uFwPL-X2.jpg
  • zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Some people are going to really like that last shot.
    Ya just never know what people are going to like.
    I see A LOT of pictures that other people love that I just have to stratch my head at..........

If the light had been up in the corner...
    For me I usually like to see light being used from above...it just fits my eye better...that is where the sun comes from :).
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Asides from the crops on the first two (I find them too centered), I do like them very much. As a guy who shoots in this environment all the time I can appreciate the amount of thought you put into this. Working in real life situations there's going to be "hot" lights coming from everywhere as in stage or club scenarios. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Cool shots!<o:p></o:p>
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    For me the subject doesn't penetrate and can't compete with the distractions.

It's partly a matter of lighting placement and balance, but partly a faulty conceptualisation of the shots. These fall between ghetto ally and Times Square. Difficult to relate to.

The subject's face doesn't project anything into the effect, it's much the same in all shots, quite inert, and it is a large-featured face, so the inertness is also large! Is he just selling faux-fur hoodies?

Aspiring young models (and their photographers) can sometimes have the misunderstanding that because they are beautiful to look at, they need to do nothing more than occupy space in the frame to become immortal along with the image! Some beauties can. Some uglies can. Some photographers can. Some of the best role-model models wear faces that seem passive and inert, but in other ways - style and direction of gaze, gesture, body pose, interaction with the lighting and set - they are able, with the photographer and all the other experts who work on and with them, to project a stunningly evocative persona. But alas for the wannabes! it comes with great talent and experience. Some natural beauty.

My suggestions would be to rethink the concept, to pysche up to conveying a narrative with setting, lighting and posing, to make the subject and what they convey with the parts greater than the whole.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    NeilL wrote: »
    For me the subject doesn't penetrate and can't compete with the distractions.

It's partly a matter of lighting placement and balance, but partly a faulty conceptualisation of the shots. These fall between ghetto ally and Times Square. Difficult to relate to.

The subject's face doesn't project anything into the effect, it's much the same in all shots, quite inert, and it is a large-featured face, so the inertness is also large! Is he just selling faux-fur hoodies?

Aspiring young models (and their photographers) can sometimes have the misunderstanding that because they are beautiful to look at, they need to do nothing more than occupy space in the frame to become immortal along with the image! Some beauties can. Some uglies can. Some photographers can. Some of the best role-model models wear faces that seem passive and inert, but in other ways - style and direction of gaze, gesture, body pose, interaction with the lighting and set - they are able, with the photographer and all the other experts who work on and with them, to project a stunningly evocative persona. But alas for the wannabes! it comes with great talent and experience. Some natural beauty.

My suggestions would be to rethink the concept, to pysche up to conveying a narrative with setting, lighting and posing, to make the subject and what they convey with the parts greater than the whole.

Neil

Great points Neil....
    Yo soy Reynaldo