In Need of help!

SJPSJP Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited January 7, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
Not sure where to post this but I hope I can get some help! I took this picture a while ago and think my kids not only got ahold of the disk it was on but threw it away. The only copy of the pic I have is from the internet and was thinking maybe someone could work some editing magic to make it more sharp and printable. Thanks for any help I can get! :)14681988_QeFEc#1130707161_CxAUK-A-LB

http://www.sweetjonesphotography.com/Photography/Sweet-Family/14681988_QeFEc#1130707161_CxAUK-A-LB

Comments

• ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    SJP wrote: »
    Not sure where to post this but I hope I can get some help! I took this picture a while ago and think my kids not only got ahold of the disk it was on but threw it away. The only copy of the pic I have is from the internet and was thinking maybe someone could work some editing magic to make it more sharp and printable. Thanks for any help I can get! :)14681988_QeFEc#1130707161_CxAUK-A-LB

http://www.sweetjonesphotography.com/Photography/Sweet-Family/14681988_QeFEc#1130707161_CxAUK-A-LB

If this is your site you should have an original copy up on smugmug. Then it is printable. Or downloadable for that matter too. Either way you can just grab it.
  • SJPSJP Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    Yes I know this, but my problem is that I do not have the original so I'm trying to get this copy so that it's not so bad when printed...
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Your original isn't on SM? Is that medium your biggest size? If so, you won't be able to go very big. Programs like LR will upscale your photo and let you print a bit bigger. There are others that are probably better too. I hear Genuine Fractiles is a really good one.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Download and see the size in your editor (photoshop- image-image size) at your resolution.....get it printed on glossy paper ....if the med. size you ahve is only printable at 4x6 or 5x7 then print at that size.....set up a copy table with soft even lighting (can be done out doors also) now shoot a macro shot of the image...using yoiur largest aperture (f2.8 or larger ie, f2, f1,8, f1.4.......you do not want any real depth, if you use smaller apertures it will pick up the paper fibers, which can look cool on some pix but probably not this one......from there you should be able to reprocess it to your liking....

Do your self a favor and start storing your originals on a harddrive (3 of them)......1 for owrking off of and 2 as back ups....even back up your processed images to these....there are tons of back up software that can be of a great help to you in a situation like this.

Good Luck and let us know how all turns out.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• SJPSJP Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Download and see the size in your editor (photoshop- image-image size) at your resolution.....get it printed on glossy paper ....if the med. size you ahve is only printable at 4x6 or 5x7 then print at that size.....set up a copy table with soft even lighting (can be done out doors also) now shoot a macro shot of the image...using yoiur largest aperture (f2.8 or larger ie, f2, f1,8, f1.4.......you do not want any real depth, if you use smaller apertures it will pick up the paper fibers, which can look cool on some pix but probably not this one......from there you should be able to reprocess it to your liking....

Do your self a favor and start storing your originals on a harddrive (3 of them)......1 for owrking off of and 2 as back ups....even back up your processed images to these....there are tons of back up software that can be of a great help to you in a situation like this.

Good Luck and let us know how all turns out.

THANK YOU! I had printed the original pic soon after I took it, so I have it on my wall and did not even THINK about taking a pic of the pic! AMAZING! Thank you so much for this! I will try it and let you know how it turns out!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!wings.gif
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I agree with the hard drive thing, I would never keep my only copy of an image on a DVD. They get thrown scratched, lost, scratched, broken, scratched, thrown away... oh and did I mention they get scratched? And I've heard that they can become unreadable after a few years (although I can't verify this myself, because I don't use them because they get scratched). I have a Western Digital 1TB drive that I backup onto a server... I just plug it into my PC and there is my entire image archive...
    B&H has a huge hard drive sale going on now, you can get a Tera for like $75 and a 2TB for $110.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=western+digital+elements&N=0&InitialSearch=yes