Options

4 Over, ink

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited January 12, 2011 in Mind Your Own Business
[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After reading a thread about this vendor I thought I would take a look at this company, and it's products. Low and behold, they won't accept anyone that uses a free email provider.

I contacted a company that can provide a "paid for" email account. When I asked what they provided that a free email account didn't, the response was nothing. OK except after the @ you can use your company name.

I contacted 4Over customer support but they don't have a clue why except it's a company policy, and there is no one to speak with. Something to the effect "you do it our way or we shun you!"

Am I somehow regulated to the photography / business slums because I use an unapproved email provider? Can I only buy products and services from second rate vendors? Should I contact my free email provider and chastise them for providing all the services I need without charge? :D

What to do, what to do....................................OK, I do know...vent a little, and move on. :thumb

Sam
[/FONT]

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,275 moderator
    edited January 6, 2011
    Sam -
    You might want to check with your domain host - many provide an email address along with your domain. You could set up the email address so it is forwarded to your gmail address. That way you still only need to check one email account, and maybe that company with the idiotic policy will accept an address <to someone> @ samlinvillephotography.com.

By the way, if you set a bio photo that will be used instead of the stock odd photo in the contact form that pops up as a result of using the contact link in your smug site footer. Also - if you want, you can change the contact link in your navbar to use the same form. See
    Pros can insert their own Contact Links.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    Denise,

Thanks for your response. My domane name is currently being hosted by Dream Host. They don't have a phone number (I plan on switching when the current hosting expires) and I don't think I get an email account along with a simple domain name.

That said, I am happy with gmail, and unless someone can show me a real advantage to a paid email account I have no plans on getting one.

My email and web address is long enough already, I can't see adding another "samlinvillephotography" to the email address.

I have never had anyone contact me and complain that I am using a gmail account. :D

I am sure they aren't offering anything I can't get elsewhere, and I am positive they will get by nicely without my business.

My post was just to alert anyone thinking about this company and to vent a little. :D

Now......you wrote: "By the way, if you set a bio photo that will be used instead of the stock odd photo in the contact form that pops up as a result of using the contact link in your smug site footer. Also - if you want, you can change the contact link in your navbar to use the same form."

What the &^*%(%&??????? Stock photo????? I don't have a clue what you are referring to. If there is something going on on my site I would like to fix it. If your simply smoking and not sharing, that's OK too.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    Sam wrote: »
    Now......you wrote: "By the way, if you set a bio photo that will be used instead of the stock odd photo in the contact form that pops up as a result of using the contact link in your smug site footer. Also - if you want, you can change the contact link in your navbar to use the same form."

What the &^*%(%&??????? Stock photo????? I don't have a clue what you are referring to. If there is something going on on my site I would like to fix it. If your simply smoking and not sharing, that's OK too.
    I have no problem with gmail addresses - in fact I have one too. Just wanted to point out that there might be another option.

On the contact link question - no, I'm not smoking something!

There is a contact link in your smug footer. Smug added a popup contact form for pro sites. If that contact link is clicked (when you aren't logged in to your site) it pops up a form that smug uses to forward messages to you via email. There is a default photo showing on your form. If you set up a bio photo, the bio photo will show instead of the default. Yours is currently showing the default photo. To set a bio photo, see help page at http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-albums.

jfriend wrote some code that allows us to pop up the same smug contact form elsewhere on our sites - from the navbar, or from gallery descriptions, or... Instructions on how to set that up (if you're interested) are in the thread that I linked above (and again here - Pros can insert their own Contact Links).

If you want to see the smug contact form using a bio photo instead of the default photo, click contact in the footer on my site. If you want to see the same form used on another page, go to my guestbook and where it says "click here" in the description, click to see the same form in use there.

No problem if you want to leave your site as is, just thought I'd mention that there are a couple of options available.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    I have no problem with gmail addresses - in fact I have one too. Just wanted to point out that there might be another option.

On the contact link question - no, I'm not smoking something!

There is a contact link in your smug footer. Smug added a popup contact form for pro sites. If that contact link is clicked (when you aren't logged in to your site) it pops up a form that smug uses to forward messages to you via email. There is a default photo showing on your form. If you set up a bio photo, the bio photo will show instead of the default. Yours is currently showing the default photo. To set a bio photo, see help page at http://www.smugmug.com/help/web-photo-albums.

jfriend wrote some code that allows us to pop up the same smug contact form elsewhere on our sites - from the navbar, or from gallery descriptions, or... Instructions on how to set that up (if you're interested) are in the thread that I linked above (and again here - Pros can insert their own Contact Links).

If you want to see the smug contact form using a bio photo instead of the default photo, click contact in the footer on my site. If you want to see the same form used on another page, go to my guestbook and where it says "click here" in the description, click to see the same form in use there.

No problem if you want to leave your site as is, just thought I'd mention that there are a couple of options available.

--- Denise

Denise,

Thanks!! I have a contact button on the top of my site and I have never seen this bottom contact / photo.

I am going to follow your direction and see if I can insert a photo of my magnificence in place of that stock photo. :D

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    Thanks!! I have a contact button on the top of my site and I have never seen this bottom contact / photo.

I am going to follow your direction and see if I can insert a photo of my magnificence in place of that stock photo.
    You're very welcome.

And once you have the photo changed I'd recommend changing the contact button on the top of your site to use the same form (info you will need to do that is in the thread that I linked above).

--- Denise
  • Options
    yendikenoyendikeno Registered Users Posts: 214 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011
    "paid for" email
    frustrating, isn't it, Sam. Way back when, I tried to sign up as a member on the Fred Miranda photo site, and ran into the same thing. It wouldn't accept my Yahoo or Gmail account. This wasn't the only time I encountered a situation like this.

Fortunately for me, I use DSL at home and my ISP provided an email address that apparently qualifies as a paid account. Using that one, I no longer have a problem; although truth be told, I wasn't happy about having to use it in the first place.
    Regards,
    AZFred
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    OK, I give up............The stock photo will have to suffice. :cry

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    OK, I give up............The stock photo will have to suffice.
    Don't give up.

Go to the photo you want to use for your bio photo.
    Click Tools... More... This is me! (Bio Photo)

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2011
    OK for whatever it's worth I was able to change out the image. :D

Thanks Denise!!

Sam
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2011

I am going to follow your direction and see if I can insert a photo of my magnificence in place of that stock photo. :D

Sam

lol3.gif

nobio.jpg

The stock photo dude looks just like you, Sam, are you kidding??? :D

PS please try not to use colors when you post. Your first post is unreadable in the white dgrin style

20110107-djn2e1ti3rciru1grnpchkxt1d.jpg
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Sam...that is a very prevalent thing happening iy there , due to all the spam and viruses running thru Hotmail ( i have 6 accounts with them), Yahoo ( i have 4 accounts with them) and even with my paid @artscottfotografie if I use my INFO address I get turned away alot and told it is because spam bots use that info@ a lot........I figure these are companies I really do not need to do business with and that higher powers are looking out for me....... :~}}

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Just an FYI, If you use GoDaddy as your domain manager you usually get at least 1 free email with your account, if not, it's like $3/year for a 1.5GB mailbox.. I'm pretty sure I didn't pay and I have oh, 15 or so domains.... It's in the Domain Manager...
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After reading a thread about this vendor I thought I would take a look at this company, and it's products. Low and behold, they won't accept anyone that uses a free email provider.

I contacted a company that can provide a "paid for" email account. When I asked what they provided that a free email account didn't, the response was nothing. OK except after the @ you can use your company name.

I contacted 4Over customer support but they don't have a clue why except it's a company policy, and there is no one to speak with. Something to the effect "you do it our way or we shun you!"

Am I somehow regulated to the photography / business slums because I use an unapproved email provider? Can I only buy products and services from second rate vendors? Should I contact my free email provider and chastise them for providing all the services I need without charge? :D

What to do, what to do....................................OK, I do know...vent a little, and move on. thumb.gif

Sam
    [/FONT]

Sam, you mean like: Sam@samlinvillephotography.com? You do have that capability at your host provider, right?
    tom wise
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    You can use gmail but have a non-gmail address as long as you own a domain, which it looks like you do. I use gmail but my address is danal com. Whoever is managing your domain (whereever you bought your domain like GoDaddyA) can set this up for you, or if they provide a way for you to edit the MX records in the DNS yourself you can do it. Sorry for the tecno-babblerolleyes1.gif But you can have your own "business" email address if you wish.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After reading a thread about this vendor I thought I would take a look at this company, and it's products. Low and behold, they won't accept anyone that uses a free email provider. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I contacted a company that can provide a "paid for" email account. When I asked what they provided that a free email account didn't, the response was nothing. OK except after the @ you can use your company name.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I contacted 4Over customer support but they don't have a clue why except it's a company policy, and there is no one to speak with. Something to the effect "you do it our way or we shun you!"[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Am I somehow regulated to the photography / business slums because I use an unapproved email provider? Can I only buy products and services from second rate vendors? Should I contact my free email provider and chastise them for providing all the services I need without charge? :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]What to do, what to do....................................OK, I do know...vent a little, and move on. thumb.gif[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sam [/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Andy wrote: »
    lol3.gif

nobio.jpg

The stock photo dude looks just like you, Sam, are you kidding??? :D

PS please try not to use colors when you post. Your first post is unreadable in the white dgrin style

20110107-djn2e1ti3rciru1grnpchkxt1d.jpg

Andy,

When I saw this I must have said WOW! 10 times. The only explanation I have is I must have copied and pasted some portion of this post rather than type it in on the forum. Plus it looks fine on my end so I had no warning.

I will try to remember this!!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Art,

Again I was just venting some because to date no one including the aforementioned company
    can provide an answer that seems to make any rational sense to me.

Maybe I am just lazy, but then again it's difficult for me to see any advantage??

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Tom, and Dan,

The Sam@samlinvillephotography.com looks like it could work, and If I understand it, I can have it delivered along with my gmail through Thunderbird.

Hummmm I need to think on this a bit. Looks good but is it worth the effort?

Someone else set up my domain name for me through Dream Host, and while I do appreciate their effort, they don't have a phone number. I have an issue in dealing with companies that can't afford a phone. Smugmug is the only exception.

Heck it's a small family owned business, started on a boot strap, and struggling to buy those 60 foot high prints. Barely able to take those European vacations. The only security system they can afford is a 18 year old dog, who if he wakes up will try to lick and gum you to death. How can you not support these guys? :D

I will try typing my question in on the great void of the internet and see if I have an email account along with the domain name. If not I need to determin if it's worth switching domain providers with a year left on my current plan.

Please note: I do appreciate all the responses and help!!

I'll keep y'all posted.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    I just did a little poking around and it looks like DreamHost provides the feature you want.

1149966708_ctJGJ-L.png
    Tom, and Dan,

The Sam@samlinvillephotography.com looks like it could work, and If I understand it, I can have it delivered along with my gmail through Thunderbird.

Someone else set up my domain name for me through Dream Host, and while I do appreciate their effort, they don't have a phone number. I have an issue in dealing with companies that can't afford a phone. Smugmug is the only exception.

Heck it's a small family owned business, started on a boot strap, and struggling to buy those 60 foot high prints. Barely able to take those European vacations. The only security system they can afford is a 18 year old dog, who if he wakes up will try to lick and gum you to death. How can you not support these guys? :D

I will try typing my question in on the great void of the internet and see if I have an email account along with the domain name. If not I need to determin if it's worth switching domain providers with a year left on my current plan.

I'll keep y'all posted.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Tom, and Dan,

Effort? On Godaddy, where I host my domain, it takes about 90 seconds to make this happen.

And yes, it works via Gmail, Apple Mail, Outlook, Droid, Blackberry, iPhone, whatever.

Email is simple these days. Do it.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    If you are looking for a phone # for DreamHost this is probably it:

Registrant Contact:
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    PMB #257
    417 Associated Rd.
    Brea, CA 92821
    US
    +1.7147064182
    Administrative Contact:
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    PMB #257
    417 Associated Rd.
    Brea, CA 92821
    US
    +1.7147064182
    Technical Contact:
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    PMB #257
    417 Associated Rd.
    Brea, CA 92821
    US
    +1.7147064182

Billing Contact:
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    DreamHost Web Hosting
    PMB #257
    417 Associated Rd.
    Brea, CA 92821
    US
    +1.7147064182
    Tom, and Dan,

I'll keep y'all posted.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Update:

I only have a domain name registered through Dream Host. They do not provide an email account along with a domain name registration.

In order to have an email account through them I need to have a hosting plan. This will cost $10.00 per month.

Currently the only hosting I have now is with Smugmug, and this is meeting my needs.

I just tried to call Go Daddy and I am here to tell ya they have one of the longest most ridiculous answering message I have ever listened to. Also they noted they were aware of their email problem and would have it fixed shortly? OH and then the "we are experiencing above normal calls and the wait time is 18 minutes." headscratch.gif

This gives you an idea of what I meant when I said I am not sure if it's worth the trouble.

The only reason I am still looking at this is because even though I can't see a reason, or I question if it's worth it I really do respect and acknowledge the expertise and appreciate the effort of everyone.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Never had a problem calling godaddy. And I have about 300 domains with them (we use them for all of our Domains @ SmugMug, too). Try again a different time. Switching is painless and easy. And you won't have to pay for an email account on top of your domain.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Never had a problem calling godaddy. And I have about 300 domains with them (we use them for all of our Domains @ SmugMug, too). Try again a different time. Switching is painless and easy. And you won't have to pay for an email account on top of your domain.

Andy,

You, personally, have 300 domains??????????? What in the &^%&*% do you do with 300 domains??

That's a lot of almost worthless American dollars per year.

Sam

I'll try calling them tomorrow. :D
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    15524779-Ti.gif

Go Daddy has a lot of marketing stuff but I have found their tech support to be very knowledge, good, and helpful. They will get your gmail hooked up to your domain in no time. I don't why DreamHost didn't do that for youheadscratch.gif... you don't need mail from them to make it work and it's not a big deal to do.
    Effort? On Godaddy, where I host my domain, it takes about 90 seconds to make this happen.

And yes, it works via Gmail, Apple Mail, Outlook, Droid, Blackberry, iPhone, whatever.

Email is simple these days. Do it.
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2011
    Andy,

You, personally, have 300 domains??????????? What in the &^%&*% do you do with 300 domains??

That's a lot of almost worthless American dollars per year.

Sam

I'll try calling them tomorrow. :D
    No, I have about 4 that I own for myself. And hundreds and hundreds with SmugMug.
  • Options
    DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    If you are talking about 4over the trade printer. I never heard of that but I have a comcast acct. I have account with them and they are a very good company. Always pleased with pricing and results.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2011
    Quick update:

Some how I seem to have set up the email: sam@samlinvillephotography.com. If I send a test email to this address I do not receive a message that it couldn't be delivered, So that leads me to believe I do in fact have an email address: sam@samlinvillephotography.com. Somewhere in the ether.

I use Thunderbird 3.1.7. I have set up a tab / folder / ? for: sam@samlinvillephotography.com but Thunderbird can not find / access this account. I receive the message that Thunderbird can not locate the sam@samlinvillephotography.com server.

Will keep you posted.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2011
    For the moment samlinvillephotography.com does not have email. I checked to see if there is an MX record (that's what makes you email work as opposed to your web page) for your domain and there isn't.

Did you switch your domain to GoDaddy? At the moment it looks like dreamhost is still hosting it. You can use mxtoolbox.com to check for yourself, just fill the editbox with samlinvillephotography.com and click "Lookup".

If you have switched over to godaddy sometimes it takes a while for the changes to propogate to the whole web. But you can just keep checking with mxtoolbox.com and once it says you have an mx record you will be good to go.

mx:samlinvillephotography.com mx [URL="javascript:ActionButtonPostBack();"]refresh_grey.gif[/URL]
    Quick update:

Some how I seem to have set up the email: sam@samlinvillephotography.com. If I send a test email to this address I do not receive a message that it couldn't be delivered, So that leads me to believe I do in fact have an email address: sam@samlinvillephotography.com. Somewhere in the ether.

I use Thunderbird 3.1.7. I have set up a tab / folder / ? for: sam@samlinvillephotography.com but Thunderbird can not find / access this account. I receive the message that Thunderbird can not locate the sam@samlinvillephotography.com server.

Will keep you posted.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    OK!!!

Final update: After bribing April with offers of dinner, and ice cream she fixed whatever it was I did or didn't do and I now have an email address of sam@samlinvillephotography.com.

She was able to sort through the conspiracy group sometimes known as "The Internet" including all the shell entities, code words, and letters to misdirect and confuse me.

Give it up for April..............just don't mention my name for a week or two.:D

Sam