http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=18534

was not "fresh".

This was taken, September 17th.

Michal

Comments

• Options
    SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2005
    Shame about the original shot. The new one gets a big thumbs up from me. thumb.gif
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    I like the sepia treatment of this shot. It works really well with the books. Any way you could straighten the shot so the books are level? I'm distracted by my concern that they are going to fall over onto your head!ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    This is a great self portrait!! I love the book titles and what they seem to say about the reader. clap.gif I see the point about straightening the books, but I rather like the way your nose seems to be keeping everything under control - if a bit precariously. rolleyes1.gif

Va

Email
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    Flyinggina wrote:
    This is a great self portrait!! I love the book titles and what they seem to say about the reader. clap.gif I see the point about straightening the books, but I rather like the way your nose seems to be keeping everything under control - if a bit precariously. rolleyes1.gif

Va
    Thanks all for your great feedback. I too am aware that the books seem a bit "unlevel" and about to avalanche--but that is my intention in this frame. Just like you mentioned Flyinggina, I am keeping everything under control. I like your insight and glad you were able to understand mine.

However, I am enclosing a rotated version of the same photo, plus a tiny crop of the white frame (which causes the sides not to be 100% straight). What do you think?

Michal
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I still like it best with the tilt, but if I had only seen it straightened I would love it that way too. thumb.gif I don't think, though, that it is a good idea to take the bites out of the frame. I find it distracting and, for me, it doesn't add to the story your photo is telling. If you cannot straighten the photo and crop it to a rectangle without losing the balance of the picture, try finding a title that clues in your audience that you are holding your own against the weight of the tomes, if a bit precariously! :D

Whatever you decide, good luck! with the challenge!

Va.

Email
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    I like the idea of tilting the books, it creates tension, and could be funny, i.e. have more of a viewpoint than the books level. I do think that for it to work the tilt would have to be more extreme. In the original I'm not sure if it's intentional. I'd like to see it where there's no doubt that you're buried in your work...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    Thanks Va and David--regarding the tilting aspect of the books. I found your comments extremely thought provoking for future implementations.

Michal