Camera care in cold weather?

MJoliatMJoliat Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 7, 2011 in Cameras
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I just got a new DSLR (EOS T2i with kit lens). I am planning to go out this weekend and try it out. I was wondering if there are any special precautions anybody would suggest for using this in cold weather (32 or below temps). I would think it is not good to keep taking it out of the warm car into the cold and then back to the warm car possibly causing condensation on or in the camera parts. Does this seem to be the case or does it not really matter?

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple weeks just reading and checking out the photos. I've just been amazed at the pictures everybody has been posting. I have an old Canon AE-1 that I got way back when I was in the Air Force. I used it a lot back then but kind of forgot about for awhile. The cool thing about getting back into photography again, is all the cool technology that allows everybody to share tips, techniques and pictures so easily.

I just want to thank everybody for being so willing to share so much information!

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    What I do: When I bring it inside the car, I toss it in a camera bag so the temps on the glass stay low while I am in there... it just stays insulated from the warm. It prevents it from getting all foggy. But usually it isn't that big of a deal here where I am because the humidity is really low. When you bring it inside your house, I would leave it in the camera bag for a couple hours (so make sure you snag your cards before you come in so you can look at the pics.) But the cold isn't really that big of a deal. I have shot all the way down to -15 and had no issue if I kept it in the bag during warm ups.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Had the opposite problem during the summer. My lesson learned was to prepare overnite: when I was planning a photo outing, I put my camera bag in the car overnite. When I arrived at location, the camera was already at temp (and humidity). I suggest something similar: put your camera bad in the cold trunk several hours before you leave.

Some advise putting the camera in a ziploc baggy to keep the moist air off of it as well
  • mud390mud390 Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I will echo the same advice given above. If you keep your lenses at, or close to outside temp, it will help prevent fogging. I had the same issue a few years ago with my rifle scope. Warm truck to cold outside and immediately fogged up. If you do leave your camera bag out in the car and the body in the bag, I would leave the batteries in the house to keep them warm(er). Just put them somewhere that you won't forget them when you leave.

Kris
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    oh that reminds me, dont forget that its lens + camera body. I learned this one as well the hard way. Obviously, in the body, the mirror and viewfinder will fog as easily as does the lens, but I also found that the sensor does as well. it has a glass cover on it, and I found condensate on it as well, just leave the whole mess out in the cold (aside from battery advice above)
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I live in Minnesota, I've shot in -20 degree temps, and I do nothing special in the handling of my lens and camera.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Daddy0Daddy0 Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Being on the coast of South Carolina, we have high humidity all the time. During the summer, I have to be extra careful on what the car airconditioner is running at. I normally have to keep it comfortable, but not cool, so as not to fog up lens, camera, etc. I took some photos the day after Christmas when it snowed and just put camera and lens in one of the cooler rooms in the house(always have at least one if you are on electric HVAC). Amazing how different parts of the country can be a lot colder than we get here, but yet its a lot more comfortable to be out in the elements.
    Jimmie D.
    www.focusedonyourmemories.com

What you see depends on what you're looking for.
  • MJoliatMJoliat Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Thanks!
    Thanks everybody. I think letting the camera and lenses cool or warm gradually while in the bag sounds like a logical way to go. I just wasn't sure if there was anything that needed to be considered with the sensors and the electronics.