Micro Landscapes?

oddfodderoddfodder Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited January 7, 2011 in Landscapes
I've been calling these "Micro Landscapes" because it's not really Macro. Yet I don't find very many people talking about this as a subject. What do you think?
1129535797_D8cGH-XL-4.jpg

Comments

• Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I've been calling them microscapes and take them frequently. Even wrote a blog post about them. Yours is a lovely example.
  • oddfodderoddfodder Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Thanks! I'll check out your blog.
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    i use the term microscapes as well, though mine typically are larger in scope. i find that i actually seek out subjects for this kind of photo, even when i'm out looking for more traditional landscape opportunities. these smaller, more intimate views can almost always be found if you look around you, and often people are amazed to see what they typically don't even notice turned into a work of art...
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited January 7, 2011
    squirl033 wrote: »
    i use the term microscapes as well, though mine typically are larger in scope. i find that i actually seek out subjects for this kind of photo, even when i'm out looking for more traditional landscape opportunities. these smaller, more intimate views can almost always be found if you look around you, and often people are amazed to see what they typically don't even notice turned into a work of art...
    Totally! I love it because (no offense to traditional landscape photographers) it's so much more unique! It seems like traditional landscapes are just done to death. And it's more about being in the right place at the right time and less about discovery. I shoot primarily micro landscapes and I enjoy the HUNT!!!
    edited January 7, 2011
    hey! so nice to know I'm in good company. this season my goal is to make some snow/winter microscapes.
    edited January 7, 2011
    I shoot mainly during work hours, so I walk the same route daily. I'm realizing that I'm capturing the area almost every day for months now, before you know it I'll have all the seasons!
  • squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    i shoot my share of "traditional" landscapes, to be sure, but i'm finding more and more that the challenge of the hunt is indeed part of the fun of shooting on a smaller scale. i don't restrict myself to the tiny, almost macro views that Wicked does - i'll include anything up to about 20 feet square in my definition of "microscape" - but i find that almost any place not covered with asphalt will yield something if you take the time to look for it. my shots might include a small waterfall or part of a stream, or might encompass only a single fallen leaf or a a tiny flower, but i try to find the beauty in those small corners that most folks don't even notice. i find that parks, botanical gardens, streams and beaches are often gold mines for these little vignettes. there's a creek not far from where i live that i need to explore in detail (i've only just moved nearby a couple of months ago, and the weather's not been conducive to really getting out and exploring yet), but i'm certain it will provide a ton of opportunities.
    ~ Rocky
    "Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
    Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
    edited January 7, 2011
    I know exactly what you mean about vignettes since I do them as well. Streams/brooks are a special love, too, as well as marshes. I think it's great that others find them as compelling.