Options

Facebook Marketing

ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
edited January 8, 2011 in Weddings
Hey everyone :)

I saw Matt mention Facebook marketing in the other post about getting off of CL advice... so I was just wondering.

How many of you use Facebook marketing? What do you set your allowed costs to? What have you found to be the best narrowing results (obviously engaged and current city somewhere in your market) but what else, Matt mentioned women and a certain age range... what do those of you who use Facebook advertising find works best?

Most importantly though, how much return on investment have you found it to be? Do you only get an occasional click? Do you get a lot of bookings through it? How often has it worked for *you*?

Just curious as I've been planning to start Facebook advertising, but I keep debating the pro's and con's! :)

Comments

• Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Shima wrote: »
    Hey everyone :)

I saw Matt mention Facebook marketing in the other post about getting off of CL advice... so I was just wondering.

How many of you use Facebook marketing? What do you set your allowed costs to? What have you found to be the best narrowing results (obviously engaged and current city somewhere in your market) but what else, Matt mentioned women and a certain age range... what do those of you who use Facebook advertising find works best?

Most importantly though, how much return on investment have you found it to be? Do you only get an occasional click? Do you get a lot of bookings through it? How often has it worked for *you*?

Just curious as I've been planning to start Facebook advertising, but I keep debating the pro's and con's! :)

I've only done it a few times, when i ran specials. I have not gotten any business from it, but i've gained few "Likes". I like that you can determine your demographics and pick exactly what type of clients you want by age, education, area, etc... I set mine at $5.00/day pay per click and ran it for a week. I might do it again with a special for Valentines.
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Hi Shima,
    I can't speak for myself, but my brother (a wedding videographer) did the FB advertising... and I believe he was a bit dissapointed from the results. But the market for wedding video is just about gone up here, so I am not sure if it is a good comparison.

As to just word of mouth advertising through FB (not the paid advertisements) I would say it is worth its weight in gold. I get so much work from and do so much work on facebook, it is ridiculous.
  • Options
    AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Hi Shima,
    I can't speak for myself, but my brother (a wedding videographer) did the FB advertising... and I believe he was a bit dissapointed from the results. But the market for wedding video is just about gone up here, so I am not sure if it is a good comparison.

As to just word of mouth advertising through FB (not the paid advertisements) I would say it is worth its weight in gold. I get so much work from and do so much work on facebook, it is ridiculous.

Totally agree. Not worth the money. I got a zillion (ok, I'm exaggerating :D) inquiries just because I tagged my couples in some of the photos I shot. Once you have people friended your page, you're all set ... the word will spread!
  • Options
    idoteechidoteech Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I tried fb advertising. No luck. However, I ran a contest on my fb site and gained almost 200 likes in less than a week. Cost me a canvas. Not bad. :)
  • Options
    Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    Any advertising you have to actually pay for is pretty much worthless. Like Angie said, if you tag them - they will come.
    Jer
  • Options
    WeiselWeisel Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    OK, I'm going to start tagging my couples! Good idea. Duh!

I'm going to also hit the PAUSE button on my FB ad again, since nobody else is having luck with it either.

I have set it to a meager $2.00/day limit. Not much, I know, but it should give me an idea of what would happen if I ran it at $5/day. Likely, just 2.5x the dissapointment.

I'm going to start really working my Fb fan page more. It's definately something better than ads. And it's free.
    Canon 5D MK IV | 24-70 2.8L USM | 50mm F1.4 USM | 70-200mm F2.8L | AB 800 light | 430EXII speedlight (x2) | Lowel iLight | Cybersync remotes | bag of trail mix |
    My Weddings WebsiteBlog
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2011
    Yeah the problem is all the weddings I shot last year were in Northwest Indiana... and I just moved to California this past July. So although yes I already have and do tag my couples every time I post new photos... it's so far only attracted more clients in NW Indiana, and most aren't willing to fly me back next year for their weddings!

So my main reason for asking is because I essentially have to re-market myself to an entirely new crowd out here. I've got only a couple gigs so far planned out here this year, and just working to figure out how to get my name known without "starting at the bottom" like I did in NW Indiana w/ the el super way too cheap not worth my time weddings. I have way too big of a portfolio to go back to 300-600 dollar full weddings like my first year back in 2007, lol. So it's tricky trying to figure out how to tap into my proper client base as a new Californian :)
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Yeah the problem is all the weddings I shot last year were in Northwest Indiana... and I just moved to California this past July. So although yes I already have and do tag my couples every time I post new photos... it's so far only attracted more clients in NW Indiana, and most aren't willing to fly me back next year for their weddings!

So my main reason for asking is because I essentially have to re-market myself to an entirely new crowd out here. I've got only a couple gigs so far planned out here this year, and just working to figure out how to get my name known without "starting at the bottom" like I did in NW Indiana w/ the el super way too cheap not worth my time weddings. I have way too big of a portfolio to go back to 300-600 dollar full weddings like my first year back in 2007, lol. So it's tricky trying to figure out how to tap into my proper client base as a new Californian :)

Become a member of the b school. Seriously. 90% of the members are from California. Chris Becker, high end wedding photographer in Cali, started the school in 2008 to help photographers network with each other. A resounding belief between all members is to help each other through referrals, second shooting opportunities, and even just strong friendships.

Their website is kinda slow and buggy right now, but they're releasing the newly revamped version Feb 2nd.

And if you join now you'll save money. Membership will be going up to $200/yr or $20/mo starting February 2nd. Its $100/yr or 10/mo right now, and the price you sign up for is locked in forever.

Other than that. Network with people in the wedding industry. Take wedding coordinators/planners, florists, pastors, venue owners, etc.. out to lunch and build relationships with them. If they like you, they will give you work.

Definitely dont go back to the discount brides!
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    I was really involved in the Chicago SMUG group when I lived out there and plan to get involved with the SF and Silicon Valley SMUG's, just the last few meetings didn't line up well with my schedule sadly.

I'm not really a fan of paying for friends / networking though. This is just an on-the-side hobby to pay for my camera gear for me, so I like keeping it the most affordable possible so whatever gigs I do shoot can go towards paying for more new toys :) I really just shoot wedding since I like buying new shiny camera gear, lol.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    I see.. well, then you shouldn't be worrying about getting brides if you're not relying on photography to live.

For what its worth, the b school has been one of the best investments I've made to date for my photography business. The users on there range from retired photographers that have been doing it for 40+ years to noobs like me to high end pro's but they all respect each other and, like I said, help each other. There is a wide range of educational material, and access to resources I didn't even know existed until I became a member. I was skeptical at first about paying, but it was worth making the plunge.

Matt Saville is also a b school member and lives in Cali. I'm not sure if you're located anywhere near him, but you should get together with him sometime. He leads (or is at least a major part of) SMUGS and other photo related things quite often I believe. He'd also be a good person to snag extra weddings from.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    Matt Saville is also a b school member and lives in Cali. I'm not sure if you're located anywhere near him, but you should get together with him sometime. He leads (or is at least a major part of) SMUGS and other photo related things quite often I believe. He'd also be a good person to snag extra weddings from.

I wish I lived near Matt, I love his work! But sadly he's in SoCal, I'm in NorCal.

I'd require a plane ride or driving all day to go to see him. :(
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    I wish I lived near Matt, I love his work! But sadly he's in SoCal, I'm in NorCal.

I'd require a plane ride or driving all day to go to see him. :(

That sucks :/ Sadly, I dont know any photographers in NorCal.. only non-photographer people :P So, I'm afraid I can't be of much more help.

When did you move to Cali? My visits to dgrin are more and more sporadic these days and I miss these things.
    Jer
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    I moved out here for good at the end of July. Had to fly back for like 4 more weddings in Indiana after that since I'd booked them before I knew I'd be moving. Also flew to the UK and shot a wedding shortly after I moved (that I'd booked before I knew I was moving and originally had a flight from ORD-LHR... had to add another flight for SFO-ORD to get there! haha)

I don't think I ever made an official "hey I moved" thread so don't worry about missing it :) I know a couple photographer people out here already, but none that do weddings heavily for me to second shoot or help with overflow yet.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2011
    studio1972 wrote: »
    OK, I'm probably being stupid here, but how do you do this tagging thing. It's ok on my personal page for tagging friends, but on the fans page I cannot seem to tag people, even if they are fans of the page. How are you guys doing this, or are you all using personal pages instead of fans pages?

You have to be personal friends with them to tag them on your page or personal profile. if you're friends.. its easy. go to a picture, click 'tag this picture', click on their face and type in their names, done.
    Jer