Camera bag strategy?

Jack P.Jack P. Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited February 20, 2011 in Accessories
Early on after getting my Canon 7D and some lenses and a monopod, I picked up a Lowerpro slingback (100/200AW?) for a big vacation trip. This fit all my gear (including the monopod on the side) and I could grab the whole thing when headed off somewhere I might want to shoot without making any choices. Then Santa surprised me with a 70-200L F2.8 under the tree. This didn't not fit in the slingback, even after handing down my 70-300, so I had to get a Lowerpro Toploader 75AW. Now my gear is split between the bags and neither will fit everything. I looked briefly and didn't see anything that seems to store the 70-200 off camera very well.

I was wondering how folks handle their gear as it accumulates? Do you have a primary bag where things live by default or does it sit on a shelf and get deployed as needed.

Comments

• Mr EddyMr Eddy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I use one of three bags, depending on which, and how much stuff I'm taking. If I'm taking one of the m43 bodies and maybe one additional lens (or 7D & 30mm) I'll use a Red Oxx Gator, which isn't really a camera bag. It is padded though. For most travel these days I'll use the Lowepro SlingShot 200AW and compromise on what I can take. Beyond that I have an Urban Disguise 60, which swallows a LOT of camera gear as well as my big work laptop. Admittedly none of my lenses are quite as big as your 70-200, although the FD 300 is reasonably chunky. I see a 70-200 in my future though so the answers to this question will be quite interesting. :)

At home my stuff basically fills a few drawers. I don't tend to keep it in the bags. Any bag big enough to hold everything would be ... impractical...
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2011
    I have my stuff in a cabinet on a shelf. I pick my weapons as needed. Most of the time I will shot with one lens of whatever range I am shooting and maybe bring another just to cover a range. I am a really big fan of F-stop bags. The are not for everyone. But they are very versatile and carry heavy load great. You can change out ICU's for different carrying needs too.

www.fstopgear.com
  • lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    Like some others, I keep my basic kit (most used stuff) in a Pelican PCS 247 (looks like a Think Tank suitcase) as I frequently work out the car. I also have two Lowepro shoulder bags (Nova 4 and Nova 5) which I use when I need less equipment on hand. All the extra stuff stays in a bureau drawer.
    The Pelican just replaced a Lowepro Rolling Computrekker AW which will be going up for sale. I don't care for backpacks.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    Jack P. wrote: »
    Early on after getting my Canon 7D and some lenses and a monopod, I picked up a Lowerpro slingback (100/200AW?) for a big vacation trip. This fit all my gear (including the monopod on the side) and I could grab the whole thing when headed off somewhere I might want to shoot without making any choices. Then Santa surprised me with a 70-200L F2.8 under the tree. This didn't not fit in the slingback, even after handing down my 70-300, so I had to get a Lowerpro Toploader 75AW. Now my gear is split between the bags and neither will fit everything. I looked briefly and didn't see anything that seems to store the 70-200 off camera very well.

I was wondering how folks handle their gear as it accumulates? Do you have a primary bag where things live by default or does it sit on a shelf and get deployed as needed.

OK I have LowePro Slingshot 350 and I can get all of my gear in it - 2 Nikon D2300's (1 with MB D10 grip attached) with 70-200 and 18-200 attached, 2 SB900, and or I can replace my 70-200 with 50-500, lots of batteries and tons of extr CF cards and still have spome room.....what I do not like about the SlingShot 350 is the lapt compartment...I wish they would make that as a purchasable accessory....I will never carry my Laptop when I am on location shooting......my other option is aminly when hiking and motorcycle riding webbed Military pistol belt with 2 75 aw's with pretty much the same gear but with one cam on left side and the other cam right side, wiht the 70-200 or 50-500 i cannot get a flash alongside of the cam+lens so that flash is slide onto the belt on one side or the other...I also use the matching suspenders to help keep the belt from being pulled off from the weight........
    Both of these are very comfortable to me.

I also have a LowePRo PhotoTrekker for weddings that all my gear plus tripod and mono pod cant attach to ........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    I'm in the same situation.

When I received my 70-200 my ways of taking gear with me changed. I bought a Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 for my one 40d with the 70-200 attached, but I don't like that I can't have the hood extended on it. Also too it seems a little crammed in there. So I just might get the Think Tank Holster bag that expands out. Then I'll use the Lowepro's Toploader for my other 40d with lens attached.

I have the Magnum 200 right now for my other lenses and I have a PhotoTrekker for when I need to take everything with me.

My goal is to have two Toploaders with a side case or two attached to carry any extra lens or misc. stuff I may need. I found carrying around a backpack was cumbersome and heavy. I'm short and if it's not on my back it's dragging almost on the ground just when hand carrying. While I loved having all my stuff with me .. it just wasn't practical.

So I'll be taking more then one bag when out, but then again I have the option to take just one Toploader or Holster with a lens or two attached in lens cases.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    First off, if you carry everything with you, you are not thinking ahead. Plan your trip and make intelligent choices about your needs. Regardless of the situation, it is very unlikely that you really need more than three or four lenses even if you weren't shooting zooms.

My Canon 5D Mark II lives in a LowePro Toploader Zoom AW, which is just big enough to hold the 70-200mm f/2.8L IS if it's mounted on the camera and nothing else is stored in the main compartment. I can then fit one small prime (usually a 35mm or 28mm) in the unpadded side compartment. If I don't take the 70-200mm, I can fit two lenses in the main compartment.

Each of my Nikon film cameras lives in its own Tamrac System 3 along with a few prime lenses and other accessories as needed. Lenses get swapped around between them. Filters live in little Tamrac filter bags that attach to the side of the System 3. One filter bag holds B&W contrast filters; the other has filters useful for color work; the two can easily be moved from one System 3 to another depending on what kind of film I'm shooting.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • Jack P.Jack P. Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited January 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas. For the winter season of indoor track and basketball outings, it looks like my 7D and 70-200 will live in the LowerPro Toploader 75 AW with a 50mm 1.8 tucked into the bottom of the side pouch with a monopod attached to the side. The rest of my lenses will live in the LowerPro Slingshot AW 200 which I can throw in car just in case or exchange from. I "only" have 5 lenses at this point (50/1.8, 100/2.8 macro, 200/2.8, 18-135 kit lens, and 70-200/2.8) so its hard to leave any behind on a trip with mixed indoor/nature opportunities. For a serious plane trip, I'll likely need to get one of the bigger bags recommended above or leave the 70-200 behind.
    edited January 9, 2011
    Thanks for all the replies and ideas. For the winter season of indoor track and basketball outings, it looks like my 7D and 70-200 will live in the LowerPro Toploader 75 AW with a 50mm 1.8 tucked into the bottom of the side pouch with a monopod attached to the side. The rest of my lenses will live in the LowerPro Slingshot AW 200 which I can throw in car just in case or exchange from. I "only" have 5 lenses at this point (50/1.8, 100/2.8 macro, 200/2.8, 18-135 kit lens, and 70-200/2.8) so its hard to leave any behind on a trip with mixed indoor/nature opportunities. For a serious plane trip, I'll likely need to get one of the bigger bags recommended above or leave the 70-200 behind.

Oh .. never leave your 70-200 behind ... :cry
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Early on after getting my Canon 7D and some lenses and a ...

I have a Crumpler 7MDH that holds all but one of my lenses, so usually I pick which ever lens I don't think I'll need and it stays home. I have a Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKI, 17-40 f/4L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 15 f/2.8 Fish, and 85 f/1.8. Usually it's between the 24-70, 15, and 85. The bag also comfortably holds a 580EX II, my gripped 5D MKII, and 3 Pocket Wizard PII's. This is my primary bag. I never really just walk around and shoot, most all my stuff is planned ahead, so even though it's heavy, it carries most of everything I need...kind of.

I have another smaller bag with 2 Canon 430 EXII flashes, 2 PW PII's, and multiple little modifiers and gels for when I'm packing light. Although my stuff is planned, I end up going for a hike on some occasions when the shooting location is out of the way.

For when I need the big lights, I currently have a rolling luggage bag that fits three Speedotron 202VF heads and a 405 pack along with the cables needed to run everything. I still have 2 202vf heads and a 1205cx pack that I have nothing to carry them in. I want to get a Pelican case for the big lights. I also have a Tronix Explorer battery that has it's own case and weighs a ton.

But the biggest asset to being able to move a lot of gear when it's needed is assistants. I enlist the help of friends and other photographers to help carry gear. I've never had an on location shoot where I'm by myself and have to carry everything.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    I am the same as some of the others in my gear doesnt stay parked in a bag. Camera bodies and lenses are stored in pelican cases with desicant and I choose what Ill be needing when I go out. I also keep several bags around of different sizes to be able to accomadte the smallest package with the gear Im taking. I dont use sling bags because they have too much wasted space that could be used for gear. Im also nbot a fan of Lowpro as I find most of their bags to be too shallow for my purposes.
    Current bag Line up
    Kinesis Long lens 600
    Think Tank Shape shifter, Glass taxi, Strettwalker Pro and UD35. ( Yes Im a Think Tank fan )
    Crumpler 5MDH and 7MDH

When transporting by air travel I carry bags collapsed in my luggage and pack pelican cases for what Im taking making sure the case/s are small enough to meet carry on restrictions.

I would recommend the Think Tank Street Walker Pro as it holds quitea bit, is ergonomic, straps can be configured for sling if you desire. I just took mine on a recent trip and it easily held a 1D IV, 200 f2, 70-200, 24-70, 580exII and other small accesories without being overly bulky.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • HawkinsHawkins Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    I am using a Lowepro Flipside 400 AW backpack. It holds my 70-200 VR II, D3s body with N24-70 attached, N14-24, SB-600 or SB-700 flash, the PC-E24mm and the TC-20EIII extender (almost everything I own except the Sigma 500mm f4.5). Alternatively when I go out for birding, it can hold the D3s body, the Sigma 500mm f4.5, N24-70 and the 2x and 1.4x extenders.

I am looking at buying a Think Tank Roller case for flight travelling.
    Nikon D3s, N14-24, N24-70, N70-200 VR II
    PC-E 24, SB-700, SB-600, Sony A55, TC-20E III
    Sigma 500mm f4.5, Gitzo GT3530LS+GH2780QR
  • catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Oh .. never leave your 70-200 behind ... :cry

+1

of any lens, take the 70-200 with you everywhere you go!
    //Leah
    edited January 11, 2011
    I only suggest potentially leaving the 70-200 F2.8L on an extended outing as I have a Canon 200mm F2.8L prime that I can use for long reach/low light. The question is whether the 70-200 is worth the extra weight/bulk for its IS and zoom capability, or if I should be looking to unload the prime now that I have the 70-200.
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Registered Users Posts: 215 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    catspaw wrote: »
    +1

of any lens, take the 70-200 with you everywhere you go!

Mine is always in my bag, but it hasn't been used in over a year.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, my awesomeness goes all the way to 11.
  • JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    My 70-200 is one of my most used lenses. IMO the newer version produces better images at 200mm than the 200 2.8, now if your talking the 200 f2 prime thats one piece of glass that is hard to beat in the realm of IQ at any focal length. After upgrading to the new version of the 70-200 I unloaded a 200 2.8 and a 135L. Kept the 200 f2 and 85 1.2 though as these are hard to beat.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    I only suggest potentially leaving the 70-200 F2.8L on an extended outing as I have a Canon 200mm F2.8L prime that I can use for long reach/low light. The question is whether the 70-200 is worth the extra weight/bulk for its IS and zoom capability, or if I should be looking to unload the prime now that I have the 70-200.
    since the 200 prime is a F2.8.....I would leave it home before I would leave the 70-200 at home...the zoom is much more useful...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 17, 2011

Yes it is worth the extra weight and zoom capabilities in my opinion. Then again if your finding your not using it that much, but the prime is replacing it ... then just take only the prime. Your the one that knows best on how you shoot and what your shoot with. Me ... I love zooms over primes. Gives me much more possibilities while shooting.

Really the only way your going to find out is leave it at home. That's the only way one learns what they wish they had with them.

Good Luck and have fun shooting :D
  • TonyLTonyL Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2011
    Check out cambags.com. I use a backpack sometimes but mostly a tamrac pro r12 and for big events the lowepro 300 roller bag.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using tapatalk
    -Anthony

APL Photography || My Gear: Bunch of 4/3rds stuff
    Facebook: Friend / Fan || Twitter: @aplphoto
  • MileHighAkoMileHighAko Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    ThinkTank! I'm a big fan. Their system meets all my needs. I like to pack light, here is how I use their system:

* Digital Holster 20 V2.0: My main walking around bag. I have my D7000 with Nikon 16-85mm lens attached and hood extended. X-Rite color checker passport, cleaning cloth and cleaning pen are also included in the outside pocket, and MB-D11 battery grip in the side pocket. Perfect for walking around.

* Digital Holster 50 V2.0: When I need my 70-200 lens I'll use this. Pretty much same configuration as above except I don't extend the hood (ThinkTank's holsters have an extra compartment you can unzip down, but I prefer to keep them as compact as possible). This is what I take to sporting events.

* Urban Disguise 60 V2.0: This is my favorite bag in the world. It looks professional, and doesn't cry out "I've got cameras inside!". It has plenty of room for multiple bodies, and to carry my 70-200 (detached) lens, along with my laptop. I travel by plane extensively for my day job, and this gets me through the airports with the right amount of camera gear. I love it. As a bonus feature, I bought the straps that convert it into a backpack. It's great to convert when you're looking to walk a long ways, sight see, or otherwise don't want to carry it as a briefcase. This is the bag I recommend to all my friends because I like it so much.

* StreetWalker HardDrive: This is my largest bag and hold most of my standard equipment. I use this bag when going on location or need to carry everything for the day or trip. In mine I carry two bodies, 5 lenses, lots of various accessories, and my laptop. Most of my gear is stored here as needed.

Anyway, I fell in love with the ThinkTank line, so happily recommend them.

-adamc
  • DblD7DDblD7D Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 20, 2011
    Has anyone checked out the Tamrac line of bags? I do both still photography with a Canon 7D and movies. I'm thinking about getting a Tamrac Expedition 7x. It seems to have a lot of storage.
  • time2smiletime2smile Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2011
    Stopped at B&H on tuesday and they have tons of Lowepro 70 and 75 for 34.99 and 39.99 with chest harness included. Its the good old style with sliplocks on both sides
    Ted....
    It's not what you look at that matters: Its what you see!
    Nikon
    http://www.time2smile.smugmug.com
    edited February 20, 2011
    Thanks
    I just wanted circle back here and share where I ended up. I now have a LowerPro AW75 toploader with a strapped on a LowerPro Lens case 3. This gives me the ability to always have my 70-200 with me either on the camera in main AW75 bay or in the lens case 3.

Before I added the lens case 3, I got a lens case 1 for my 17-55, but found that strategy didn't allow me to stow the 70-200 when I wanted to zip things up with the 17-55 on the camera.

There is enough room in this set up to squeeze in a 50/1.8 as well as a prime lens in a side pocket if needed. My AW200 will likely become a hand-me-down as I don't see many outings not involving the 70-200, and for those I'll probably want something even more compact.
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2011
    Good info. Good news, I'm not as bad as I thought I was... I don't have too much stuff. ;) I may have too many bags though.