first and last

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited July 3, 2004 in People
i had my 10d loaded with tri-x pan film this morning (*) and found
this right off the bat. i liked the interaction between human and
mannequin ;-) this was my first shot of the day.

10d, 16-35mm L f/2.8 aboard
5727203-L.jpg

and this was my last shot of the day, these two were part of a four
man jazz band playing in the times square subway station. i love
the look i'm getting from the guy in the background ;-)

10d, 50mm f/1.4 aboard, at iso 800
5727202-L.jpg

(*) tutorial: get that tri-x look
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=8849727

enjoy (street) photography,

Comments

• ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited July 2, 2004
    I really like the 2nd image andy ,that is the type of clairity and sharpness I hope to someday achieve. How do you find that lens? I think I want to invest in a good 50mm .

Right now I have the Kit lens 18-55 and a 35-105mm
    Have you tried the less expensive 50mm f/1.8?
    or am I better off biting the bullet and getting the more expensive 50mm f/1.4.
    Kind of a loaded question... but I have read other comparisons however I value hearing what you have to say.

Tim
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    regarding the canon 50mm f/1.4
    Shakey wrote:
    I really like the 2nd image andy ,that is the type of clairity and sharpness I hope to someday achieve. How do you find that lens? I think I want to invest in a good 50mm .

Right now I have the Kit lens 18-55 and a 35-105mm
    Have you tried the less expensive 50mm f/1.8?
    or am I better off biting the bullet and getting the more expensive 50mm f/1.4.
    Kind of a loaded question... but I have read other comparisons however I value hearing what you have to say.

Tim

thanks tim

the 50 f/1.4 is a sweet lens. you have to learn it though, it's a toughie. at f/1.4, you have about and inch or two of dof in most situations (seems that way, anyhow!)... so it just takes some getting used to. the sharpness is great across the range of the lens apertures. i really dig it for low light. and big light. the plastic fantastic is certainly a bargain, but at only $250 more, the 50 f/1.4 is really a deal i think. very substantial lens, well built, really fast usm, i love it!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    thanks tim

the 50 f/1.4 is a sweet lens. you have to learn it though, it's a toughie. at f/1.4, you have about and inch or two of dof in most situations (seems that way, anyhow!)... so it just takes some getting used to. the sharpness is great across the range of the lens apertures. i really dig it for low light. and big light. the plastic fantastic is certainly a bargain, but at only $250 more, the 50 f/1.4 is really a deal i think. very substantial lens, well built, really fast usm, i love it!
    I agree - the f1.4 50mm lens deserves to be included with the L glass, even tho it does not need the unique qualities of aspheric or flourite lenses to achieve its results. Even nicer on a 10D with its 1.6 magnifier also.lickout.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    The 50 mm lens, Canon, I assume...
    andy wrote:
    thanks tim

Actually, the topic would not have to be Canon, the idea is the same.

Hey, this is something I know something about. In feb I was asking myself and others the same question. I ordered the more expensive lens, then I canceled that order when I found the cheap lens in stock somewhere.

What they are/were pointing out on the d300 site was that lenses can be resold easily without losing money, or much, on eBay. Anyway, I have the, can I guess here. I have the 75 to 300 IS Canon, the kit lens, and the whatever to 135 IS Canon, and the 50. Don't tell my husband, who told me I would not use the 50 mm, but I don't use it much. At first I used it for some baptisms, then went straight to the kit lens, and it really works well for me.

Now I could use the 50. I believe strongly that a good photographer should be able to shoot with about anything. But I have no problems using the kit lens, and I like the ability to zoom in a bit on the baby. Just no real reason to use the 50.

So sweet, or not, I would, just me here, I would get the cheaper lens, live with it a bit and see how much you end up using it, how you like it, etc. The glass one might be a good deal at whatever price it is, but the cheaper one is a good deal for any Canon lens, IMO.

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited July 3, 2004
    more re lens
    That picture you like, the guy with the sax, or whatever, I don't think that clarity is all in the lens.

The other picture, and I know this is Andy, so Andy don't listen, but the other picture is a bit soft, imo.

It is not always the lens, Imo. So I still think you don't know which lens to go with. I would go with the lens that will make you feel good. When you feel good about your equipment, imo, it is easier to take the best pictures. I have a real financial situation here, that was a one time deal for me. Get one thing, give up another. So there can be no bullet biting here at this time.

That was a tax return, and it was the camera or a small savings acct. By the time I was through buying that camera, I had spent about 2000.00 on it. All the money we had. So it kind of depends on the situation. I am the type who likes to think I have the best, and if my situation is different I would have gone with the glass lens, but now I don't envy others as I don't use it that much, and it has nothing to do with quality. I also argued with everyone under the sun, because I wanted that 75- 300 IS, "they" said I didn't need it. dPreview people, lots of them, were complaining about its performance. I could not get the lens in glass, so bought that one, over everyone's cry of "idiot", except a few private e-mails, and I use that lens all the time, I have loved it, don't have the problems with it being any softer than I would expect from lens that long, handheld, etc.

Go with what makes you feel good. I did.

g
    edited July 3, 2004
    the first shot, ginger ...
    it's supposed to be soft - i was using tri-x, remember? mwink.gif
    ginger_55 wrote:
    That picture you like, the guy with the sax, or whatever, I don't think that clarity is all in the lens.

The other picture, and I know this is Andy, so Andy don't listen, but the other picture is a bit soft, imo.

It is not always the lens, Imo. So I still think you don't know which lens to go with. I would go with the lens that will make you feel good. When you feel good about your equipment, imo, it is easier to take the best pictures. I have a real financial situation here, that was a one time deal for me. Get one thing, give up another. So there can be no bullet biting here at this time.

That was a tax return, and it was the camera or a small savings acct. By the time I was through buying that camera, I had spent about 2000.00 on it. All the money we had. So it kind of depends on the situation. I am the type who likes to think I have the best, and if my situation is different I would have gone with the glass lens, but now I don't envy others as I don't use it that much, and it has nothing to do with quality. I also argued with everyone under the sun, because I wanted that 75- 300 IS, "they" said I didn't need it. dPreview people, lots of them, were complaining about its performance. I could not get the lens in glass, so bought that one, over everyone's cry of "idiot", except a few private e-mails, and I use that lens all the time, I have loved it, don't have the problems with it being any softer than I would expect from lens that long, handheld, etc.

Go with what makes you feel good. I did.

g
    edited July 3, 2004
    re Tri X (I need to read that tutorial)
    andy wrote:
    it's supposed to be soft - i was using tri-x, remember? mwink.gif
    In my experience with tri X, it is grainy not soft. What has the world come to?

Smile, g
    edited July 3, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    In my experience with tri X, it is grainy not soft. What has the world come to?

Smile, g

hehehe isn't it enough that i can get it loaded in my 10d?

i'll re-work my workflow, just for you and see what comes outta the grinder...

aw
    edited July 3, 2004
    Andy, help, and Andy, Laughing.gif
    Andy would you check out the situation on the challenge critique and comments. Certain people can't see certain photos.

I think it is great that you can load the tri-x. Maybe you need to push it a bit, more grain but less soft, lol.

g