Upgrade help please - T2i vs 60D

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited February 7, 2011 in Cameras
Hello everyone -

I currently shoot an XTi and am looking to upgrade to get better low light (ISO) and video all in one unit. I was set on the T2i and getting a 580 EX II, until I talked to a friend of mine that is a photographer. He encouraged me to get the 60D instead of the T2i and get a external flash later as the 60D has the flip screen and a few more bells like wireless flash control and a step better ISO shooting but the same if not better video performance as the T2i.

I was hoping to get some in put here from you guys as well. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• dantambokdantambok Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    If you`re going to take videos often, I think the 60D would better because of the rotating screen. :)
    Canon 7D, 450D, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.2, Mp-e 65mm, 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM, Canon 100mm f/2.8L macro IS USM, 580exII, some sigma lenses:D
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 8, 2011
    It depends upon your priorities and needs. For people and event shooting getting a decent flash with an appropriate modifier is a very high priority.

The video capabilities of the 60D and the T2i are both rather good, but the still photo AF of the 60D is better in many cases, certainly more configurable. A potential compromise might be to get the 60D and a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash. It has similar capabilities and features to the Canon 580 EX II, but at a cost more similar to the Canon 430 EX II. I use 4 of the Sigma 5xx series DG Super flashes along with 1 - 580 EX (MK I) and I really like the Sigma flashes to be honest. The Canon flashes have a better user interface and better construction, but I use the Sigma flashes professionally and they are very dependable and serviceable.

The 60D has one additional high-ISO setting but of the settings available on the T2i the results are extremely similar to the 60D at the same setting and I'm not sure the extra ISO setting of the 60D is all that usable.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    The 60D flip screen is nice, but maybe you should wait for the T3i. I hear it might have a flip screen.

Honestly I think you have a good enough body and some bad lenses. For the cost of a 60D, you can get a 17-55 or a 24-105 IS; either of those will REALLY improve your photos, much, much more than a new body will. Of course, knowing the basics of exposure and compostion is also more important than the body (maybe you know these already?).
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    dantambok wrote: »
    If you`re going to take videos often, I think the 60D would better because of the rotating screen. :)
    Good call :)
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    It depends upon your priorities and needs. For people and event shooting getting a decent flash with an appropriate modifier is a very high priority.

The video capabilities of the 60D and the T2i are both rather good, but the still photo AF of the 60D is better in many cases, certainly more configurable. A potential compromise might be to get the 60D and a Sigma EF 530 DG Super flash. It has similar capabilities and features to the Canon 580 EX II, but at a cost more similar to the Canon 430 EX II. I use 4 of the Sigma 5xx series DG Super flashes along with 1 - 580 EX (MK I) and I really like the Sigma flashes to be honest. The Canon flashes have a better user interface and better construction, but I use the Sigma flashes professionally and they are very dependable and serviceable.

The 60D has one additional high-ISO setting but of the settings available on the T2i the results are extremely similar to the 60D at the same setting and I'm not sure the extra ISO setting of the 60D is all that usable.
    Good info Ziggy, I remember you mentioning the Sigma flashes when I first got my XTi. Can you tell me if they will sync and able to be controlled with the wireless built in to the 60D? Also will the Sigma recycle as fast as the 580 EX II? I tested the 580 and I was able to continuous shoot and the flash kept up - maybe not a full 100% but it never delayed me shooting which is one reason I chose it. If the Sigma would do that, I would be more apt to look at it as well :)
    The 60D flip screen is nice, but maybe you should wait for the T3i. I hear it might have a flip screen.

Honestly I think you have a good enough body and some bad lenses. For the cost of a 60D, you can get a 17-55 or a 24-105 IS; either of those will REALLY improve your photos, much, much more than a new body will. Of course, knowing the basics of exposure and compostion is also more important than the body (maybe you know these already?).

The upgrade is to get the HD video really. I know I could use better glass, but I am quite happy with the lenses that I have and the IQ I am getting for now. The better half also wants Video and this was a good time to get both in one ;)
    edited January 8, 2011
    brvheart wrote: »
    ... Good info Ziggy, I remember you mentioning the Sigma flashes when I first got my XTi. Can you tell me if they will sync and able to be controlled with the wireless built in to the 60D? Also will the Sigma recycle as fast as the 580 EX II? I tested the 580 and I was able to continuous shoot and the flash kept up - maybe not a full 100% but it never delayed me shooting which is one reason I chose it. If the Sigma would do that, I would be more apt to look at it as well :) ...

The Sigma 530 DG Super is not slow to recycle and I do use it for many events and weddings. I do think that the 580EX is a bit faster, but just a bit, and the 580EX also accepts an external HV battery pack for even faster recycling. The 580EX is around twice as expensive as the Sigma flash and the HV pack more still.

I do mix the Canon and Sigma flashes. The original 580EX is the easiest to set up so I tend to use it for the Master flash and the Sigma flashes for the wireless slaves. It does work the other way too and it's only a little more setup to use the Sigma flash as master.

The Sigma user interface is different from the Canon user interface, so it takes some getting used to. I don't find it a problem however. (Again, I have 4 Sigma flashes and only 1 Canon flash.)

The following was taken just after Thanksgiving 2010 and is from 3 flashes; the Canon flash as master on the camera, reflected off the ceiling and with the bounce card up, and 2 - Sigma flashes on the sides fired wirelessly and bounced into reflector/modifiers:

1125881067_EWAVE-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    edited January 8, 2011
    Can a single flash be operated off camera from 60D? I think so but not sure so thought I would ask.
    edited January 8, 2011
    Can a single flash be operated off camera from 60D? I think so but not sure so thought I would ask.

The Canon 60D does have wireless flash master capabilities built-in. It should be able to wirelessly control a slave/remote flash. I'm not sure of the exact process but since I can control the Sigma flashes with a 580EX I believe that the 60D should also be able to control either Canon or Sigma wireless slave capable flashes.
    ziggy53
    edited February 7, 2011
    thank you everyone for you great input - I went with the 60D and the 580 EX II. I plan on getting a few more flashes later on - so I will keep your mentions fresh in my mind Ziggy - thank you all again.
    edited February 7, 2011
    While I appreciate the link - I was fully aware of the T3i specs - I much prefer the larger body, top screen, faster FPS and better sealed body of the xxD line - it just feels better in my hand as well.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    While I appreciate the link - I was fully aware of the T3i specs - I much prefer the larger body, top screen, faster FPS and better sealed body of the xxD line - it just feels better in my hand as well.

Cool :) I've always been about cost-effectivity. I just think its great that by going with Canon, you're given so many choices, there's always one that will always fit the bill. deal.gif

That T3i though is a bargain for film-movie shooters!!
    edited February 7, 2011
    mr peas wrote: »
    Cool :) I've always been about cost-effectivity. I just think its great that by going with Canon, you're given so many choices, there's always one that will always fit the bill. deal.gif

That T3i though is a bargain for film-movie shooters!!
    I concur :)

I wish the Rebel line had a bigger real estate thus fitting the hand better. I guess one thing you can always do is add a grip and batteries :) - that is the hardest thing about picking a new body - which one to get - I know for me it came down to feel in hand - I was set on the T2i until I held the 60D, had I had more to throw around I would have gotten the 7D lol. I really did not expect to get the flash with it, originally I only budgeted x amount and was going for the T2i and the flash, then decided last minute with a price match on import to get the 580 EX II also :D just worked out well for me.

Anywho - thank you for the input on the T3i - it does offer a few upgrades from the 2 that are appealing for video, just dont think there is much there (upgrade wise) on the photo side.
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011

Anywho - thank you for the input on the T3i - it does offer a few upgrades from the 2 that are appealing for video, just dont think there is much there (upgrade wise) on the photo side.

right, doesn't look like much of an upgrade in the Rebel line