Since we're talking headshots...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited January 11, 2011 in People
Since a few folks have been posting headshots recently and I have some shoots myself coming up next month, I was sniffing around galleries (something I do regularly just to try and stay current with what's "out there" and to make sure I'm abreast of current trends etc etc) As always, I recommend the www.reproductions.com director as a good place to find lots of headshot togs' galleries).

Here's a link to one NYC studio whose work sports the currently fashionable/expected look, but which seems to use both studio/natural light and studio/urban/apartment bg styles instead of just one or the other. The site has a very large collection of images in the gallery to view, too - some interesting shots, IMO http://www.theoandjuliet.com/__310-973-7315__/photo/ph_Frameset.html. There's also a 5 year "archive" available to view which is fascinating for looking at how styles have been morphing and changing!

Backgrounds vary, and there's a mix of high key, natural light and other setups, but one thing that does seem consistent is the very bright - almost flat - lighting on the faces. It's an interesting approach that I suspect is very popular with models and actors (and at nearly $1K, the pricing would suggest that's the case - I'd consider this high-end pricing in NY, where you can get a very decent set of headshots done for about $400-600)

This studio's work is hardly the only way of doing things, but I thought the page offered a nice "one-click" route to a bunch of quality examples in one place. Enjoy! :thumb

Comments

• briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    thumb.gifVery timely! I'm doing part two tomorrow so this will give me plenty of poses to ponder. The first thing that struck me was how many of the shots have the tippy tops of heads cut off. I see what you mean ablut the lighting. the majority have a very clean, fresh look about them.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    Heads cut off is no big deal it seems ... thumb.gif As I said in Kerry's thread, I thnk this is partly because so many casting agencies use clickable thumbnails - it's almost the norm these days to see supertight crops and I do wonder if it's grown from that practice.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    I guess you could have the whole head for a few (lots of) bucks more??!!ne_nau.gifD I'm sure it would require the studio etc you get at the higher rate. I wonder if you could litigate for false advertising for these being described as headshots? Don't laugh! They are under the stated weight so should be commensurably discounted. Head phobia anyone?

Yes, the light!!! Is it a cultural thing? I don't think I see the extremes in the t&j egs (et elsewhere) in European work? In most of these the bomb to one side of the face, and in the catchlights, is so intenese I find myself wincing involuntarily for the sake of the subject!! Like a blast furnace just exploded!eek7.gif

In Australia, and southern Australia especially, the light truly hurts, it is truly clinical in its magnitude and sharpness. Many of this style of face make me feel in the same need of sunglasses and hat protection we often feel in the light here! How can someone be offered as appealing when they look like they are going to give you sunburn if you were more than a minute or two in their presence, or likely to spontaneously combust like terrorist mail?rolleyes1.gif

Great links, dm! You are right that it's necessary to be up to where the cutting edge is cutting, just have the Bandaids ready!

thumb.gif

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited January 9, 2011
    I think the close crops in vogue at the moment are partly the result of the *use* of many of the pictures eg program listings (space is always limited and they ALWAYS get cropped down to barely the face) and thumbnails on casting websites (generally there's a small clickthrough and then you go to the full image). I'm sure it will go around again at some point and wider shots will become popular again; there's no doubt fashions change and there are definitely trends. At the moment, funky angles, shallow depth of field, natural light (or natural light look) and tight crops are considered "current"; in five years, it will probably be something else :D One thing I've certainly noticed is that an actor's submission headshot is often NOT the shot that graces their website, where much more contextual images (ie wider and with other stuff around them) is still on offer. With digital, people have a lot MORE shots, too, and in more styles/outfits/moods.

However, when you consider that when submitted in response to a casting notice/casting call an image might get 5 seconds worth of attention from TPTB and that it is competing with HUNDREDS of other shots/actors it becomes easier to understand A. why it's so important that the eyes in particular "say" something and connect with the viewer and B. why anything extraneous in the shot (even too much airspace) becomes a distraction. The most basic definition of a successful headshot is one that gets auditions, and it's abundantly clear from actors' comments that certain styles seem to do better. Given that headshots have a purpose beyond the exclusively aesthetic, one kind of has to work within that brief,

That said, every once in a while one sees a really out-there shot that breaks every recommendation and suggested approach, but is so fabulous it transcends. I suppose, as usual, every exception proves the rule.... :D

Btw, musicians don't put quite the same emphasis on headshots - while a good headshot is an important part of the package, audition invitations and casting decisions aren't nearly as dependent on the photo as in the actor market, instead relying first on the CV, sometimes a tape demo, and then the photo. But for actors - particularly when seeking film/TV work - the headshot's ability to grab a casting agent's attention sometimes genuinely make the difference between getting the audition or not.
  • reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    I find it all interesting to say the least. My gut reaction is do what is right for the client on an individual basis and somehow "develop" a style that is my own. That being said, I see nothing wrong with emulating the current flavor so long as one does not become stale and redundant...
    As a musician I understand this perfectly as I have "borrowed" so many ideas from other artists but eventually I would incorporate a portion of that into my own style...

I looked at many of the examples from the links you posted and I'm on the fence...I can see what Neil pointed out and I can totally see your view as well....

I say it's a good thing :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Well, I understand and agree with both of you. If someone wanted to pay me $1k I'd crop the top off their head and irradiate one side of their face and their eyes for sure, no problem!:D I'd even do a hdr on 'em!eek7.gifrofl

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Here is 3 more sites...that I have been studying as I have shoot in the very near future for a Pro. Mezzo-Soprano.

http://www.headshots101.com/

http://peterhurley.com/

http://www.headshot-photography.com/portfolio.htm
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 10, 2011
    One thing I've noticed as well are the amount of landscape orientation you see for this type of thing.
    Maybe because that's the way we view most media as in film and television not to mention out computer monitors.
    Head shots are more effective this way?
    Yo soy Reynaldo
    edited January 10, 2011
    @Art, Pete Hurley is very popular with singers. Also check out Taylor Hooper and Richard Blinkoff - I've seen shots they did for friends, and thought they both did good work. Their styles are very different (Hooper is more actor-y, and Blinkoff does a more formal "classic" look for opera singers), but they both did excellent jobs for my friends, who were very pleased with the shots and the experiences. Great link to the headshots 101 site thumb.gif (Ivar, maybe that should go with the other headshot articles in the sticky?)

@Rey, I think landscape orientation is just a current trend - until about 4-5 years ago landscape was a BIG no-no in headshots and you were encouraged NOT to use shots that weren't in traditional portrait orientation. Now, pretty much anything goes.

Let me reiterate that I know nothing at all about Theo&Julia as linked above except the shots on their site - I only pulled their site to post because there were so *many* pix in that thumbnail collage, and also because of the "archive" link they offer which showed some of their bw work in the style that's now considered somewhat outdated; it was simply a lot of examples to share with a single url! lol3.gif
    edited January 10, 2011
    @Art - one other thing I found interesting: while we as photographer's may like the actor-style shot with all its natural light etc (speaking for myself I prefer it as a look), I have noticed that when I shoot singers they almost always go for the shots in the more formal, studio-style look I also do with them (I try to give them both looks to choose from - one more casual/nat light/actor-y, one more typical studio/formal/glam). Just an observation.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    @divamum - Thanks for the links, greatly appreciated.............that was my idea...to do both studio and location.......now we have snow and I do not know any singers that like to hang out in the cold snow to do a shot...gotta protect them pipes.
    I started googlin to see what was being done now, on the different coasts and I am very glad to have ran across this thread.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 10, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    @divamum - Thanks for the links, greatly appreciated.............that was my idea...to do both studio and location.......now we have snow and I do not know any singers that like to hang out in the cold snow to do a shot...gotta protect them pipes.
    I started googlin to see what was being done now, on the different coasts and I am very glad to have ran across this thread.

Don't forget Bonnie Gillespie's fabulous articles (in the sticky) - they're more for actor-style stuff than singers, but some good thoughts in them in general:

Bad Headshots, Good Headshots (link to examples at bottom of column)
    Bad Headshots, Good Headshots II (ditto)

For "location" in this weather, I'd look for something like a college hallway with tons of natural light, maybe some brick wall or wood/neutral tile floor. What about backstage area like a loading dock?. Those actor shots I did earlier in the year were in a college atrium and went very much for the "NY loft" look - worked a treat. And won't be so cold! With some shallow dof, you're golden thumb.gif

One other trend I'm seeing in singers at the moment is actor-style *photography*, but with "diva" styling, eg glam gown sitting on fire-escape steps outside. Guy in tux in Central Park. That kind of thing. It's a trend, yeah, but it kind of works... If you can find some copies of Opera News, look for Dario Acosto's work for them - they'll usually run a shot blurb on an up-and-coming singer each month and frequently it will be the singer glammed up in full designer gown/hair/makeup/jewellery, the works... but in an outdoor NY setting. It's definitely a very specific "look".
    edited January 11, 2011
    I like the approach of offering both studio style and natural light portraits.
    Great thread.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo