Nikon D300 Vs D300s

sundanceimagesundanceimage Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited January 12, 2011 in Cameras
I want to purchase a D300 and most everyone is selling the D300s now. What is the difference between the D300 and the D300s?

Also, does the D300 take a SD or CF card or either?

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 8, 2011
    As you can tell by the rather subtle naming change, if you were to already have a Nikon D300, an update to a D300s might not be indicated as the changes are also rather subtle between the 2 models.

The significant differences are pretty well covered on this page under the heading, "Nikon D300S vs. D300 feature and specification differences":

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond300s/

The changes in the D300s that would be significant to me and what I shoot would be (in pretty much this order):
    1. Dual CF and SD card slots, this is huge since you can use these dual slots for security/redundancy or roll-over, depending upon your needs.
    2. Slightly faster continuous shooting mode without using the battery grip and special batteries.
    3. Updated user interface and controls.
    4. Video capability with audio inputs. Only really important if you need it. Not a replacement for a dedicated camcorder.
    5. Quiet release mode.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • sundanceimagesundanceimage Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2011
    Thanks for the info!
  • SeOcSeOc Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 12, 2011
    Either are gems
    ziggy53 has perfectly summed up the difference. Both are fantastic cameras, don't think you have less with the D300. If you can get a bargain on a D300, I'd snap it up, it does what you need, and do we really need our DSLR bodies to morph into Swiss Army knives?? The D300 is an amazing camera. Don't get caught up in keeping up with the latest and greatest because in the end you'll spend a fortune on equipment, never hold on to one camera long enough to get a great 'feel' for it, and you'll have doubt in your mind that you won't get the best pics unless you have the latest toy.. it's such market driven nonsense that gets into our heads and makes us worse photographers. Whatever you get, learn it inside and out and just shoot, shoot, shoot baby, and the magic images will follow. My 2 cents.

Seamus

http://digitalslrlensesinfo.com
    I want to purchase a D300 and most everyone is selling the D300s now. What is the difference between the D300 and the D300s?

Also, does the D300 take a SD or CF card or either?

Thanks