Options

Keywords and smart galleries ...

rt2photort2photo Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I've just shot a dance event, and have ~500 photos to market to a dozen or so dancers, plus the audience and others.

I have a category for Dance.
I have a subcategory for Event.
I have a gallery for the event itself.

What is my best way of displaying the event gallery so dancers can easily find their own shots, and not have to dig through 16 pages of photos?

I was thinking I could use keywords (and spent the time keywording in Aperture prior to upload) to create smart or sub galleries within this main gallery.

I *cannot* create multiple galleries under Dance / Events (there are already tons of events in there) - they have to go inside this event gallery somehow.

Thoughts?

This is one area I get stuck with SmugMug constantly - the category / subcategory / gallery restriction drives me nuts. Just let me create my own folder structure!

Comments

• Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    rt2photo wrote: »
    I've just shot a dance event, and have ~500 photos to market to a dozen or so dancers, plus the audience and others.

I have a category for Dance.
    I have a subcategory for Event.
    I have a gallery for the event itself.

What is my best way of displaying the event gallery so dancers can easily find their own shots, and not have to dig through 16 pages of photos?

I was thinking I could use keywords (and spent the time keywording in Aperture prior to upload) to create smart or sub galleries within this main gallery.

I *cannot* create multiple galleries under Dance / Events (there are already tons of events in there) - they have to go inside this event gallery somehow.

Thoughts?

This is one area I get stuck with SmugMug constantly - the category / subcategory / gallery restriction drives me nuts. Just let me create my own folder structure!
    Keyword the photos. From there, you could use the standard keyword search or implement a custom Find your photo search like I did here:
    http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/SkiRacing/2011-Season

Smart galleries could also work...
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2011
    Mike J wrote: »
    Keyword the photos. From there, you could use the standard keyword search or implement a custom Find your photo search like I did here:
    http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/SkiRacing/2011-Season

Smart galleries could also work...

Is there a tutorial for the drop down menus? I ended up hyperlinking out to the keywords directly, but the drop down is slicker.

It's frustrating that the keyword view removes some features (like the share option) - but I'll live with it!
  • Options
    edited January 23, 2011
    No tutorial that I know. Here is a collection of posts from which I learned how to do this: http://www.dgrin.com/search.php?searchid=1816808
    This takes a little javascript and some HTML. If you describe your requirements, I might have a try at implementing something for you.

There might be an easier way though. Can you email all of the dancers? If so, you can just keyword the photos and then send each of the a custom link to a keyword gallery of their photos. If you just take your base URL and add /keyword/xxxx on the end, you get a gallery of all images with that keyword. All you have to do is send this link to the dancer. It would look like this: www.rt2photos/keyword/dancername1
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    Mike, thanks for getting back to me - the search link expired, but I'll go digging.

I ended up using standard HTML links to the keywords - but the keyword page has it's own limitations - no Share functionality, losing out on the header of my page (which has some custom PayPal button functionality in it).

Ideally, I wish I was able to create as many layers of category / sub category / gallery / sub gallery as I want or need, rather than being limited to three - but it seems thats what we've got to work with.
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2011
    rt2photo wrote: »
    Mike, thanks for getting back to me - the search link expired, but I'll go digging.

I ended up using standard HTML links to the keywords - but the keyword page has it's own limitations - no Share functionality, losing out on the header of my page (which has some custom PayPal button functionality in it).

Ideally, I wish I was able to create as many layers of category / sub category / gallery / sub gallery as I want or need, rather than being limited to three - but it seems thats what we've got to work with.
    I don't know about the share button on the keyword page but you can most definitely get your Paypal button on the keyword page. The trick is to put the HTML code in your custom header in the advanced customization area and then use CSS to control where it appears.

At the end of the custom header block you would put the desired HTML code and wrap a div class around it with a classname of your choice.

Then in your CSS (assuming the div class name is ShowOnlyOnKeywordPage:
    .ShowOnlyOnKeywordPage{
        display: none;
    }
    .keywordPage .ShowOnlyOnKeywordPage{
        display: block;
    }

The first blocks disables the new section of HTML for all pages. The 2nd enables the new HTML code for just the keyword page. This is how the header on this page: http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/keyword/2011-ALSR#1153746921_AmXsK
    is controlled.
    Mike J

Facebook
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    Mike J wrote: »
    I don't know about the share button on the keyword page but you can most definitely get your Paypal button on the keyword page. The trick is to put the HTML code in your custom header in the advanced customization area and then use CSS to control where it appears.

At the end of the custom header block you would put the desired HTML code and wrap a div class around it with a classname of your choice.

Then in your CSS (assuming the div class name is ShowOnlyOnKeywordPage:
    .ShowOnlyOnKeywordPage{
        display: none;
    }
    .keywordPage .ShowOnlyOnKeywordPage{
        display: block;
    }

The first blocks disables the new section of HTML for all pages. The 2nd enables the new HTML code for just the keyword page. This is how the header on this page: http://www.mikejulianaphotography.com/keyword/2011-ALSR#1153746921_AmXsK
    is controlled.

hmm, interesting, thanks for that - not sure I can use it - I only use the PayPal link on some galleries, not all ... and use Keywords on even fewer ...
  • Options
    edited January 27, 2011
    Are you putting your Paypal code in your gallery description? I did that but found that it got hard to maintain. I found that I would have the same code in many different galleries and making simple things like pricing changes became a nightmare. What I do know is to put the code that I want to show up in some but not all galleries, or categories, or subcategories into the custom header section. I then use CSS to control where things actually appear.

Here's a snippet from my CSS for two pieces of HTML that I selectively show in places:
    * Hide racesearch by default */
    .racesearch {display: none;padding-top:20px}

/* Hide seasonsearch by default */
    .seasonsearch {display: none;padding-top: 20px;}

/* show Season Search only in the 2011 Subcat*/
    .subcategory_2011_Season .seasonsearch {display: block;}

/* Don't show seasonsearch at indiv race level but show racesearch*/
    /* Winterstart-Sat */
    .gallery_15299156 .racesearch {display: block;}
    .gallery_15299156 .seasonsearch {display: none;}

/* Winterstart-Sun */
    .gallery_15410833 .racesearch {display: block;}
    .gallery_15410833 .seasonsearch {display: none;} 

The keywordPage is just an extension of this. I have a special block of HTML code (in my custom header) that only shows on keywordPages.. This displays a special offer only on the keywordPage. I know that the only way someone from my site can get to a keyword page is to use one of my custom search functions. If they did that, they are further down the sales funnel (searching for something specific) and I want to show them the special offer as they look at the pcitures that they wanted to see.

I hope this makes sense. Just a different way of doing things...
    Mike J

Facebook