Options

red outline

nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited January 10, 2011 in Finishing School
I have another question that I hate to ask because I feel like I should know this but...how can I avoid the red outline (as seen on the sides of the boy's and dad's faces) when I am shooting at the wrong time of day and how can I fix it on this picture?? As always, I'm open to any critique even though this isn't the correct topic area.

sneakpeek-9973.jpg

Comments

• Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    it's called chromatic abberation (or CA). Do a search here using the menu item in the uppermost menu line at the top of the page on the two words together, and you will find your answers ... it is well discussed. I use PhotoShop to remove it whenever I encounter it enough to be bothersome, but there are various actions, programs, etc. available to assist you.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    malchmalch Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    it's called chromatic abberation (or CA).

That seems not to be a classic case of (lateral) chromatic aberration. CA usually involves opposite colors on left versus right hand edges. Also, CA is typically absent at the center of the image, getting worse toward the corners. The posted image has red/purple on opposite edges and close to the image center. Furthermore, the fringes did not respond well to the Photoshop CA tool (which almost always confirms that the problem is not CA).

I think this is a case of "purple fringing" as described here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_fringing

Google that term for more references.

Stopping down would have reduced the problem. Less exposure too.

I tried removing the fringe based on the method suggested here:

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/75955/removing_purple_fringing/?fp=2&fpid=1585691688

I added a HSL adjustment layer, selected the blues, reduced saturation dramatically and fine-tuned the color selection. It worked fairly well on this image although I did need to mask out some of the lips and other skin tones to prevent damage to those colors.

I don't think you'll have too much difficultly reducing the effect to acceptable levels.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    Here's an attempt:

I added a HSL adjustment layer, selected the blues, reduced saturation dramatically and fine-tuned the color selection. I added a hide-all mask and then used a thin white brush to paint over the problem fringes. They pretty much gone.

Hope you don't mind but I tried a few other tweaks as well including a little warmth and some sharpening:

sneakpeek-9973cc.jpg
  • Options
    nicnellynicnelly Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Thank you both for your information. Malch, I don't mind the additional changes at all. I don't have many people around to bounce my images off of (except my husband who always tells me "it looks great") so I love to see what other people see. I think even if this is not a classic case of CA I have other images that are so I will benefit from your info too, hgernhardtjr.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 10, 2011
    I posted a link about correcting chromatic aberration in Adobe Camera Raw here - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=159524

Nicole Young has an very nice video on correcting "purple fringing" here - http://vimeo.com/3069865
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    nicnelly wrote: »
    I think even if this is not a classic case of CA I have other images that are so I will benefit from your info too, hgernhardtjr.

Yes. With classic lateral CA, the Photoshop lens adjustment option is the one to go for. In my experience, it either works great (lateral CA) or it doesn't work at all (purple fringing). If not, use the HSL technique with a mask and you should be set.