Options

New to Indoor Macros - Orchid, Iris & Lily

sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
edited January 12, 2011 in Holy Macro
I have tried three indoor approaches to macro shots of flowers. Wondering whether you think any of these approaches has any merit? If not, I will stick with outdoor macros for now! (All taken with Canon 7D and 60mm macro lens except when another lens is noted.)

1. The photo of the orchids was made with external flash at half power, bounced off the wall to the left.
1152231638_VEybs-S.jpg

2. Another shot of orchids with blue background.
1152231548_PFyP5-M.jpg

3. The shot of the lily is backlit with a light box after misting the flower.
1151647391_j6beW-S.jpg

4. The shot of the iris is an "odd combination" of candlelight below and bounced flash - taken with Canon 24-205 L. I like the backlighting of the lower petal and how it plays up the iridescence, but the color isn't quite right and the bounced flash (bounced off the right side) cast a shadow at the left.
1151647441_rPWbU-M.jpg

5. Outdoor shot taken last spring of a mountain bluet. (Handheld but now use tripod if possible.)
1152273458_rkVar-M.jpg

I feel more comfortable with photographing flowers with natural light but wanted to try photographing a few indoors. I'd be interested in knowing what you think is working and what isn't. Thanks for whatever help you can give me.

Comments

• Options
    Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,900 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Actually think #1 & #2 are ok - rather like #3 and dislike #4.
    Taking good photos of flowers with artifical light is tricky and certainly not something I've mastered, but I think it's worth pursuing to see what works for you.
    My own indoor flower photography consists of much higher magnification shots of bits of flowers and that can work quite well.
    When I do take whole flower shots indoors, it is often with natural light anyway.

Brian V.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    Thank you for your input, Brian V. I also like #3 best of the indoor shots. It is inspired by something Harold Davis presented in his book on Creative Close-ups.

6. Here is a shot of an iris that I did with the light box. Less depth here than with the lily.
    1152542905_dowBY-M.jpg

One of the reasons for experimenting with the external flash is to try to get a better handle on utilizing it in a range of situations as I have tended to focus on landscape photography - with natural light. I was forced to do this on a recent trip to Kenya in that there was no lighting (and no electricity) for indoor shots.

I enjoy seeing what you are photographing as it often shows some aspect of nature that we would otherwise miss.

Thanks,
    Gretchen
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2011
    Gretchen - I don't know whether this will be of interest, but I happened to have been reading it recently and remembered same :)

(There's a lot of other interesting (imo) articles here, too)

pp

http://imagesfromtheedge.com/blog/?page_id=1197
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2011
    Gretchen - I don't know whether this will be of interest, but I happened to have been reading it recently and remembered same :)

(There's a lot of other interesting (imo) articles here, too)

pp

http://imagesfromtheedge.com/blog/?page_id=1197

I've enjoyed reading the article and seeing what this photographer has been doing. I also browsed through some of the other offerings. Thanks for sharing this link!

Gretchen
  • Options
    GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 11, 2011
    i like opposite from everyone, #1 & #4 for some reason :D
    dont like #3 headscratch.gif
    the iris is easily my fav useing lightbox worked great clap.gif
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2011
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    i like opposite from everyone, #1 & #4 for some reason :D
    dont like #3 headscratch.gif
    the iris is easily my fav useing lightbox worked great clap.gif

Thanks for you input, Goldenorfe. I'm curious about whether it is the iris in photo #4 or photo #6 that is your favorite? Since you mention the lightbox, I am guessing that it is #6? I think it is my favorite of this batch of photos.

I'll keep playing with the light....