47-Lonely Me

rckmtlrckmtl Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited September 18, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey everyone. I have been lurking, but figured this challenge would be a great way to intro myself. I have only had my camera a few months and am still learning how to use it and about photagraphy in general. If anyone has any thoughts or critique on my shot, I would love to hear them. If I did not post the EXIF info correctly, please let me know. Thanks!

EXIF info-
Date taken-9-17-05
Modified-9-17-05
Camera-Konica Minolta Dimage Z10
Shutter speed-1/40
Aperture-F3.2
ISO-125
No flash

-Ellen-

Comments

• DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2005
    Nice photo. :)

What type of camera is it? I wish mine could go down to 100ISO or a non standard ISO (something other than 200, 400, 800, 1600)
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    Welcome Ellen,

You won't be lonely @Dgrin We are a friendly bunch. Your first post is a good one. I'd work on the White balance tho.. There are plenty of tips on WB correction if you do a search for it..

Look foward to seeing more work from you..
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Welcome to D/grin ellen. Great way to introduce yourself. Thats an interesting shot with the way the shadow has caught your arm. I like it.

Gus
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    Welcome to Dgrin, Ellen. Thanks for sharing your shot with us. Hope you'll find this enjoyable and stick around. Can't be lonely with a bunch of photog nuts. :D

Not a bad shot. Agree on the white balance and maybe even some color correction, dodge/burn perhaps? Contrast adjustments? Nothing major. Nice job.

Cheers
    BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • rckmtlrckmtl Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

It is a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10. Not quite up to par with some of the equipment I know some of you guys have, but it was the best I could afford. It has enough features for me to learn with anyway.
    I can manually choose an ISO of 64, 100, 200, or 400. When I shoot in auto the camera seems to be able to pick any number in between any of those. My thing is that I do not understand ISO enough yet to know which setting to use when.

I agree with you guys on the white balance thing. I had been trying for a red backlight effect, which you can kinda see on the higlight of the frame, but not very well. The background is supposed to be red.
    I shot this on the auto mode to get a feel for what it would look like. I think I want to shoot it again in a mode that lets me use the manual white balance. The maybe the red won't get washed out.

With my camera I can shoot in Auto, aperture priority, shutter priority, and full manual. I think Aperture priority would be the best to re-shoot it in?? I'm not moving so the shutter speed shouldn't be a big issue, right?
    When I am in manual or shutter priorty modes, I can choose any shutter speed up to 1/2000. Which is nice. But for Aperture settings, I can only choose from F3.2, F4.8, and F8.0, which is not so nice.

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Ellen-
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    rckmtl wrote:
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

It is a Konica Minolta Dimage Z10. Not quite up to par with some of the equipment I know some of you guys have, but it was the best I could afford.-Ellen-

Don't stress about the camera. It's you, not the camera. One of our best photographers on this site is a young woman with a point and shoot. Take a look at her galleries.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited September 18, 2005
    Thanks for the link. I had noticed that portrait shot with the orange lily just the other day and was very impressed by it.

I'm actually happy with my camera, I figure it is a good one for me to learn on.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    Great shot Ellen! Welcome to Dgrin!

Erich
  • pmccurdypmccurdy Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    Not so lonely...
    Hi Ellen,

As a fellow newby here, let me say that you have received some very positive feedback from some of the more respected people in this venue.

I agree that the white balance could be better (more natural fleshtones perhaps...) but, more importantly, the composition is very nice. Try shooting it again with various WB and lighting. See what strikes your fancy.

As Rutt has posted here in another forum, it is the photographer, not the camera. You seem to have a good eye for composition. Concentrate on composition and fancy cameras will certainly be part of your future.

Cheers,

Patrick

BTW: Might I suggest that you submit this pic to the current dgrin photo challenge (self-portraits)? What have you got to lose?
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    Well maybe its just me but i like the WB to be out...puts warmth into a shot.

But i tend to like stuff others dont ne_nau.gif
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    Hi Ellen, and welcome. Nice photo. I like the composition but I agree with the others about wb. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
  • SnapHappySnapHappy Registered Users Posts: 328 Major grins
    Hi Ellen wave.gif I'm sure that Z10 will keep you busy for a while, stick around and you'll soon learn more. nice shot BTW.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    Welcome! And nice shot. A very good way to introduce yourself. :)
    enjoy being here while getting there
    Well, due to work scheduels and time restraints, I'm going to put the original in the contest. If I do a re-shoot I'll post it here later. Thanks for all the comments