Dell u2311H or alternative

paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
edited February 9, 2011 in Digital Darkroom
I need to replace a monitor unexpectedly and could use some advice because I have read conflicting things.

From what I have read, I should stick with IPS monitors. At work, I can get a good price on a Dell UltraSharp U2311H. I've read good reviews and positive comments from people here, but I have also read that some Dell monitors have a LUT that makes it impossible to calibrate them with standard hardware. (I use an Eye-one Display 2). I have also read some postings that distinguish between calibrating the monitor's LUT and the video card's. I assume the latter is what the Eye-One is doing.

Anyone have any experience calibrating the Dell UltraSharp U2311H, or suggestions for better alternatives at a roughly similar price?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    paddler4 wrote: »
    I need to replace a monitor unexpectedly and could use some advice because I have read conflicting things.

From what I have read, I should stick with IPS monitors. At work, I can get a good price on a Dell UltraSharp U2311H. I've read good reviews and positive comments from people here, but I have also read that some Dell monitors have a LUT that makes it impossible to calibrate them with standard hardware. (I use an Eye-one Display 2).

Dell does not make any monitors where the internal monitor LUT (Look Up Table) is accessible by calibration software.

For this feature you need to look to products from NEC (the PA series), Eizo, Lacie, and one HP monitor - the LP2480zx. These products usually come with a matching hardware colorimeter and software where the software has a customized calibration matrix unique to the monitor and the software can access and program the LUT in the monitor.

It's possible that they are referring to one other point. It's a standard for communication between a monitor and its' attached graphics card with respect to the color data. As I write this the acronym escapes me. When I find it I'll update this.

I have also read some postings that distinguish between calibrating the monitor's LUT and the video card's. I assume the latter is what the Eye-One is doing.
    The i1 Display2 and its' iMatch software (I use one as well) calibrate the monitor and create an ICC profile which is used by the OS for color management. This ICC profile is applied to the LUT of the card at boot up or any other time via use of a utility supplied by Xrite called DisplayProfile. You'll find DisplayProfile.exe on the install disk. I believe it has to be copied over manually for you to use it on your PC. It is very useful on Windows OS PC's if you use Sleep Mode to shut down your system at night. When you wake it up the next day, sometimes Windows forgets to pick up the profile data and apply it to your LUT and you may not notice it has not been applied until you've edited a few images and then look at them after a reboot and colors just aren't as you recalled.

This system of using the video LUT works well in most newer desktop systems. Where it sometimes does not work is if you are running more than one monitor off an older video card. Older video cards often had only one LUT. If you had two monitors you needed two video cards to have a dedicated LUT for each monitor.

Most current medium class video cards have two or three LUT's - one for each port on the back of the video card. Current AMD/ATi's cards that support "EyeFinity" are an example of a card with three on-board LUT's.

Anyone have any experience calibrating the Dell UltraSharp U2311H, or suggestions for better alternatives at a roughly similar price?
    In that class of monitor there are a few other competitors, 2 of which use the same e-IPS TFT panel. Here's a list of budget monitors (most under $300 USD) that are suitable for image editing. They all use 8bit IPS panels and they all cover close to 100% of the standard sRGB color space. If you need a "wide gamut" monitor then we'll have to get you a different list but these will all be well over $400 USD.

*Dell U2211H*
    ... 21.5" 1920x1080

*Dell U2311H*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... LG Display supplied e-IPS panel #LM230WF2
    ... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm
    ... http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275291737

*HP ZR22w*
    ... 21.5" 1920x1080

*NEC EA231WMi*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... CCFL back light

*NEC EA232WMi*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... W-LED back light
    ... probably LG Display supplied e-IPS panel #LM230WF2

*Viewsonic VP2365WB*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... does not have a DisplayPort connection

*HP ZR24w*
    ... 24" 1920x1200
    ... IPS panel
    ... currently sold out at most retailers; more in February
    ... was selling at $400 USD but due shortage is now around $500 USD.

• paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Thanks very much for the detailed reply. This is exactly the information I was looking for.
    edited February 8, 2011
    Newsy wrote: »
    In that class of monitor there are a few other competitors, 2 of which use the same e-IPS TFT panel. Here's a list of budget monitors (most under $300 USD) that are suitable for image editing. They all use 8bit IPS panels and they all cover close to 100% of the standard sRGB color space. If you need a "wide gamut" monitor then we'll have to get you a different list but these will all be well over $400 USD.

*Dell U2211H*
    ... 21.5" 1920x1080

*Dell U2311H*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2311h.htm
    ... http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1275291737

*HP ZR22w*
    ... 21.5" 1920x1080

*NEC EA231WMi*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... CCFL back light

*NEC EA232WMi*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... W-LED back light
    ... probably LG Display supplied e-IPS panel #LM230WF2

*Viewsonic VP2365WB*
    ... 23" 1920x1080
    ... does not have a DisplayPort connection

I've just been advised that all the monitors listed above may use 6bit + A-FRC panels contrary to what a number of web reviews state on these. FYI... all the reviews on TFT Central have now been edited to reflect the updated information (i.e. 6bit).

I've been told that the most recent specification documentation from LG Display was revised from earlier documents and clearly indicates the 6bit status.

I'm hoping this is an error and will provide an update if proven so.

*HP ZR24w*
    ... 24" 1920x1200
    ... IPS panel
    ... currently sold out at most retailers; more in February
    ... was selling at $400 USD but due shortage is now around $500 USD.

The ZR24w is still listed as 8bit at this writing.

edited February 9, 2011
    TFT Central has posted a statement on this issue:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#colour_depths

Note that due their IPS panel, these monitors will not have the issues that TN panels have with color/gamma change when viewed from angles other than straight on.