Ruins around Cortez, Co Part 2

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in Landscapes
My hike through Sand Canyon didn't take as long as I had expected, so I took a quick drive up the highway to the Anasazi Heritage Center & Escalante Pueblo in nearby Dolores, Co. If you're ever in the area and have any interest in the Ancestral Puebloans make a stop. It's cheap (I think it was a $3 donation to enter the museum) and one of the best I've seen!

1| The Anasazi Heritage Center
1153240179_upDhd-XL.jpg

2| A short hike up a hill next to the center leads you to Escalante Pueblo.
1053497366_V32Cp-XL-2.jpg

3| A 4 image vertical pano. The reservoir in the upper left is a modern day construction, but it's easy to see why this hilltop location would have been a perfect spot for a village. Water not too far away and ample farm land in between.
1077799082_oXjTV-XL.jpg

4| A 2 row many image pano of the ruins
1134225488_oFyX8-XL.jpg

5| Walls
1134224624_UEjaP-XL.jpg
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    No good? headscratch.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    Excellent shots, Chris. Great pano work, and I appreciated the narration. I like 3,4 & 5 the best!! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    thumb.gif

Really like you b&w conversions. I think #2 and #3 would also lend themselves to b&w conversions. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    Reminds me of the ruins in Chaco and on top of El Morro, as well.
    I will have to stop in Dolores and see that Heritage Center, Chris.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 14, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Excellent shots, Chris. Great pano work, and I appreciated the narration. I like 3,4 & 5 the best!! thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thank you, Joel! It's funny, I alternate between doing "too many" panos sometimes and forgetting about trying then entirely other times. I'm happy to say that this trip was a "too many" panos trip, because most of them worked out pretty well! :D
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    thumb.gif

Really like you b&w conversions. I think #2 and #3 would also lend themselves to b&w conversions. deal.gif

Thanks Aaron! I've struggled with B&W conversions for a looooong time, but the new targeted adjustments in CS5 (and Lightroom 3 too, I think) make it much easier for me to get the end result I'm looking for.

I'll give #2 & #3 a try this weekend! thumb.gif
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Reminds me of the ruins in Chaco and on top of El Morro, as well.
    I will have to stop in Dolores and see that Heritage Center, Chris.

I highly recommend it the next time you're in the area, Jim. There are a lot of interesting nearby ruins to check out too (Mesa Verde, Lowry Pueblo, Hovenweep, Sand Canyon) so give yourself ample time there! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    These are great! I think we were there right around the same time, however I didn't stop. :) I do remember that there was a lot of cool thunderstorm activity, and I think this really enhances your shots. Thanks for posting.
    edited January 14, 2011
    jamesl wrote: »
    These are great! I think we were there right around the same time, however I didn't stop. :) I do remember that there was a lot of cool thunderstorm activity, and I think this really enhances your shots. Thanks for posting.

Thank you, James!
    Even if you didn't stop in this area, if I remember right, you enjoyed a longer trip than I did, right? Mine was unfortunately only 2 days there and 2 full days of driving.
    The clouds really added a lot to the images and I was really thankful that they never opened up and dumped on me! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos