Shipwreck

aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Landscapes
It's not every day that I come across a shipwreck on the beaches of northern California.

1152236290_MLWEh-X2-1.jpg

It's even more rare when the light is perfect....

Around one am last week, the captain of the crab boat Phyllis J fell asleep, missed a navigational buoy guiding and the ship ran aground with a crew of three on board. The ship capzied, but luckily, the crew escaped into the waters off the northern California coast. They were wet, cold, frighten, but mostly importantly, alive. The boat was damaged and the entire load of crab was lost at sea.

The Phyllis J was only recently pulled up onto the beach in Half Moon Bay and has spent most of its time since on its side. The Coast Guard divers were able to secure its fuel tank and no environmental leaks have been reported. The batteries were also removed and the sand was check for contamination. Since being dragged on the beach, the site has been roped off and there are guards watching to prevent people from exploring it.

As for the ship itself, the current theory is that it will be cut it apart this week in order to remove it from the beach. I have read conflicting reports in the newspapers since some believe the ship will be repaired while others believe that it will be scrapped.

As for my photo... I was just lucky to be in the correct place, at the correct time, with my camera at ideal conditions. Luck.

C&C welcomed and appreciated.

Comments

• sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,962 moderator
    edited January 10, 2011
    I like it! How nice of the clouds to cooperate as well and add interest to the background!
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    I like it. Really nice.
  • mcgmcg Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Love the sky well captured looks like the boat has been out the water for longer than a week.
    2 X Canon 1d mkiii,Canon 17-40 l,100 f2 ,70-200 f2.8 300 f4, sigma 150-500
    Pentax spotmatic,K1000 28mm 3.5, 50 1.4 50 1.2, 55 1.8, 135 3.5, 200 3.5, 85-210 4.5 Helios 58 2.0.
    Rolleicord , mamiya RB67 with all the trimmings.
    www.mcgphotosa.com
  • BambiBambi Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    what a beautiful shot!
  • canghuixucanghuixu Registered Users Posts: 238 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Spectacular. The light is just great.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    wow - that is something! The wispy clouds swirl around the shipwreck perfectly. Very interesting to view!
  • clickin girlclickin girl Registered Users Posts: 278 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    LOVE IT!!!!thumb.gifthumbthumb.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Very nice capture.
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    Fell asleep? Doh! I really like the colours here, especially the sky.

Cheers, Richard.
  • ashruggedashrugged Registered Users Posts: 345 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2011
    love the picture, the clouds make such a great background
  • ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Saw the story on the local news when it happened, but their pictures paled by comparison. Great sky as well!
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    I like it! How nice of the clouds to cooperate as well and add interest to the background!
    I got very lucky with the clouds since the coast was completely gray and cloudy the day before.
    Travel wrote: »
    I like it. Really nice.
    Thanks for your kind words!
    mcg wrote: »
    Love the sky well captured looks like the boat has been out the water for longer than a week.
    From what I read, the boat was only out of the water for a few days. Does ships normally get rusty when they're out of water?
    Bambi wrote: »
    what a beautiful shot!
    Thank you for commenting. I was just in the right place with the right gear :)
    Eia wrote: »
    wow - that is something! The wispy clouds swirl around the shipwreck perfectly. Very interesting to view!
    The view was interesting since that was the only way that I could get underneath the police tape! Luckily, it worked!
    LOVE IT!!!!
    Thanks! When my friend told me there was a shipwreck on the beach, I didn't initially believe her.
    Doug Solis wrote: »
    Very nice capture.
    I guess the lesson of this images is to always have your camera with you since you'll never know what you might come across.
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Fell asleep? Doh! I really like the colours here, especially the sky.
    Yep. He feel asleep, nearly killed two other people in the process, and left the survivors jobless. I'm just happy to hear that everyone survived....
    ashrugged wrote: »
    love the picture, the clouds make such a great background
    I was actually walking away from the shipwreck when I turned around and saw the clouds! I immediately ran back to the ship and grabbed a few frames. Luck is everything...
    Thwack wrote: »
    Saw the story on the local news when it happened, but their pictures paled by comparison. Great sky as well!
    Whenever I visit Half Moon Bay, it's always cloudy and cold. This time, it was still cold, but the sun was shining and I had clouds. Timing.
  • bhundtbhundt Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    cool shot, love the color.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    bhundt wrote: »

Me too. Amazing shot, April. thumb.gif
  • aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2011
    bhundt wrote: »

It was one of those rare beautiful days in the bay area. I camped here before and wished I was wearing my snowboarding clothes since it was so very grey and cold. That day was still cold, but at least it was sunny with blue skies!
    kdog wrote: »
    Me too. Amazing shot, April. thumb.gif
    Thanks! I was just happy that I made time to visit it.

For those that are interested, I found an article about the plan for the shipwreck's clean up. It seems the boat was to be taken apart and removed...
  • a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Great light, love the wispy clouds and well captured.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Very awesome thing to come across. Very nice shot! thumb.gif

If you can- go back when the sun is on the other side of the ship so the light fills the deck instead of it being in shadow. deal.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    Great capture April. The sky couldn't be more perfect.
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    It is an amazing capture and I don't want to be ugly---but I have one little pick---I would clone out the the electrical high line (or whatever it is) in the bottom, far-right hand corner.

The sky is an awesome background and again, amazing shot!!!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • ripbobripbob Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2011
    You couldn't ask for a better background. Nice shot.
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    Great capture! You have to love it when you stumble across a dramatic image. Glad to hear the the crew made it home safely.
  • thejackswildthejackswild Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 27, 2011
    Brilliant! Growing up in HMB I can honestly appreciate how awesome it is that the light cooperated with you for this. Fantastic capture!