First Post in this forum; Camellia Mystery

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited January 17, 2011 in Holy Macro
[FONT=&quot] E. A. McIlhenny, who created Jungle Gardens on Avery Island, Louisiana in the late 1800's and early 1900's, loved camellias, and at one time grew 700 different varieties. These are from an area that was his experimental nursery, where he worked on new varieties. Today we don't know with certainty the names of these camellias, as many were never named if they were not moved from the experimental nursery to the main part of Jungle Gardens. Named or unnamed, though, they are beautiful this time of year.

Please let me know any ways I can improve my photography, or any camellia identification ideas!

Many thanks, Pam

1)
1143975565_zectr-L.jpg

2)
1143975872_yvc9E-L.jpg

3)
1143974814_NDrfw-L.jpg

4)
1143975176_4Xshg-L.jpg

5)
1144026577_rDH9W-L.jpg

6)
1148551478_sS2ui-L.jpg

[/FONT]

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Lovely series of camelia shots - one of my favourite shrubs :)
    Think camelias are rather difficult flowers to photograph in closeup on the bush as you can't isolate them at all but I'd try to get just the leaves and flower without any strong stem lines in the photo - eg the stem in #4 tends to lead your eye out of the photo.
    Brian V.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Brian, thank you so much! I see that you are exactly right, and will make that a priority in my next attempts.
  • WilliamClark77WilliamClark77 Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    Beautiful shots and I agree with what's already been said. They're difficult to get an interesting shot of.
    edited January 16, 2011
    Beautiful shots and I agree with what's already been said. They're difficult to get an interesting shot of.

Thanks, William. I appreciate your comment. This is my first attempt at flower photos.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited January 17, 2011
    very nice, think too much leaf and surrounding area too distracting. try filling frame with off centred flower filling frame
    edited January 17, 2011
    GOLDENORFE wrote: »
    very nice, think too much leaf and surrounding area too distracting. try filling frame with off centred flower filling frame

Thanks, Phil. I appreciate your taking time to comment. I see what you mean and will take your advice to heart!