MB-D10 grip for the Nikon D700

PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
edited January 27, 2011 in Cameras
MB-D10 grip for the Nikon D700. My question from the people who may own it would be is it worth it? Does the grip respond well? Does it feel cheap? Also if you have the EN-EL4/EN-EL4A batteries for the higher frame rate, is it worth the extra $300 (combined) cost. I plan on using it for many uses however, does the faster shutter help? I sometimes shoot High School Football which is why I'm asking.
http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    The one I own is orig. Nikon and it is built like a tank........but I do not need the extra frames for weddings or wildlife so I never use it any more ......I was only using it with an extra enel3 batt for prolonged shooting.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• catspawcatspaw Registered Users Posts: 1,292 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2011
    it's a VERY solid grip and well worth it, imo. I used it with a D300 with the optional battery bit for the bigger battery (which I have in the D3 so already had a spare) to get the faster fps. At least on the D300, that was worth it for me. Also loved the more solid feel.
    //Leah
  • bobcoolbobcool Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I love my MB-D10 grip for my D700. I keep it on all the time, although it makes the already hefty D700 quite a bit heavier. I love the fact that I don't have to wrap my right wrist around the top of the camera to take a vertical shot - the vertical buttons on the grip work great. I've shot a lot of high school football and used the grip in a vertical method and loved it. Having 8 fps is nice, and the grip balances the camera better when connected to a 70-200 2.8 VR on a monopod.

There are cheaper third-party grips out there, but the MB-D10 is built like a tank, like the D700 body, and fits very tight to make you feel that it's one piece. To me, it's worth it - I would never buy a cheap third-party grip for a $2500 camera.
  • PhotometricPhotometric Registered Users Posts: 309 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Everyone,
    Thanks for the input so far.

Bob, wasn't thinking about a 3rd party grip. It's just that I bought the MB-D80 for my D90 and I wasn't entirely happy with it, didn't feel solid or always work the way I expected and it can come loose if I don't always check the screw connection. This one is $100.00 more and I didn't want to spend the money and have the same disappointments.
    http://www.djdimages.com/

"Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition."
    -- Abraham Lincoln
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 15, 2011
    Everyone,
    Thanks for the input so far.

Bob, wasn't thinking about a 3rd party grip. It's just that I bought the MB-D80 for my D90 and I wasn't entirely happy with it, didn't feel solid or always work the way I expected and it can come loose if I don't always check the screw connection. This one is $100.00 more and I didn't want to spend the money and have the same disappointments.

Most people frown on the third party grips...
    I had the Targus brand from Adorama on my D40X. It never came loose and it ALWAYS worked. So, for me, the third party grip was just fine.
  • Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    For what it's worth, I have the Meike MK-D300 (works with the D700 as well) and am completely happy. I tried the real thing in the camera shop and mine feels the same. Haven't had a problem with it.
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    I've got the Nikon grip. I like it. it does feel bulkier (if you like that) extra battery is nice to have and the button. One thing it does if you are rough on cameras, is protect the bottom to keep it looking good:)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    I own both the MB-D10 and the Zeikos grip. The Zeikos grip is quite good, and I don't hesitate to recommend it over the MB-D10 to save a few dollars. Great value and a bit lighter than the Nikon. I rarely use the MB-D10.
  • waywardfoolwaywardfool Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    I have the vertical grip for my D80. I have always kept the AA battery tray in my bag, loaded with (6) lithium AA's. I have never needed it, until a trip a few weeks ago, when I ran down both the en-el3's I usually carry. Day was shot, until I remembered the AA insert in the bottom of my bag.
  • borrowlenses.comborrowlenses.com Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    The MB-D10 has one issue -- overtime the batteries inside get hot and it melts the plastic between the battery carriers, so the grip will spontaneously vanish from the camera. You have to file down the burnt plastic pieces to restore communication between the grip and camera. Also, you can get the FPS boost with rechargeable batteries. You do not need to use D3 batteries for that.

Also, the extra joystick button for AF adjustment is very handy. None of the D3 bodies have a button there so it's very helpful.
    http://www.BorrowLenses.com
    Your professional online camera gear rental store

Follow us on Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/borrowlenses
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2011
    MB-D10 grip for the Nikon D700. My question from the people who may own it would be is it worth it? Does the grip respond well? Does it feel cheap? Also if you have the EN-EL4/EN-EL4A batteries for the higher frame rate, is it worth the extra $300 (combined) cost. I plan on using it for many uses however, does the faster shutter help? I sometimes shoot High School Football which is why I'm asking.

Congrats on your NEW D700. I am certain you'll enjoy that Camera.

I have certainly enjoyed mine!

I don't use a grip, and I haven't had reason to. One thing to remember about those faster frames rates: The Grip will not increase your buffer. So unless you shoot jpeg, or switch over as many do during those fps moments, a grip will not solely solve that potential issue.

Bonus point. With my newly acquired 70-200VR2, I find that the foot works well for portrait orientation shooting since it adjust so easily.
    tom wise
  • insanefredinsanefred Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited January 27, 2011
    I have one, I mainly use it when I know that I am going to be shooting for awhile.
    It makes the camera more comfortable to use (Nikon makes the camera a bit too small). It is also great when using the SB-900, really balances the camera out. As for frame rate boost, I benefit from less black out time, than 8 fps. Actually 8fps is way too much for most sports IMO. I use Duracell pre-charged batteries (alleged to be re-branded Eneloops).

Is it worth it, I'd say , yes.