Death Valley in December

jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
edited January 17, 2011 in Landscapes
I recently had the opportunity to traipse thru Death Valley for 9 days, including 5 days with kdog. Second half was overcast and even 'rainy', so I reshot some areas we had blue skies for at the beginning of the week Here are just a couple of shots as I work thru not only all the images, but testing out the Photomatix Pro 4 plug-in for LR.

#1 A little color, a little scale
1154383431_iwbGQ-M.jpg

#2 Rain on the Golf Course
1154385293_cK4BV-M.jpg

#2: B+W
1154382205_TNn53-M.jpg

#3 Sitting on the 'green'
1154382045_gkhmV-M.jpg

More to come!
"Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
-Fleetwood Mac

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    Cool shots, David! I like 1 and 3 the best. Using the car for scale really worked in 1, and the B&W conversion in 3 really makes that sky pop! :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    David-

I like the first shot and the car does indeed provide a sense of scale.

The other three in my opinion are pretty dull in color and lacking contrast. Some adjustments to the mid and black points in levels could make a significant difference.

The b&w is just way to dark.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Cool shots, David! I like 1 and 3 the best. Using the car for scale really worked in 1, and the B&W conversion in 3 really makes that sky pop! :wow

Cheers,
    -joel
    Thanks Joel. I agree on the sky (Photomatix B&W test) but I think Aaron's comment is correct on it being too dark overall, especially in the lower part. I did a gradient adjustment there already to bring it out, but I too noticed on another monitor it seemed muddy.

I may do the same with the sky on the Jeep image. Overcast weather has it's advantages but sometimes pulling out the full dynamic range can be hard.

I do have more to come. I converted about another dozen and was going to upload them 2 nights ago when my external drive hung :bash
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • AdamKAdamK Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    The first one is amazing! The jeep adds a really good scale to the image.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2011
    #1 is the best for me also--the vehicle makes the shot. The texture in the other three shots is interesting but overall they don't really grab my attention. Sounds like you had a fabulous trip regardless--would like to see some more shots as you go through them.
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2011
    Thanks Dan, Lauren and Adam. More will be coming. I had a case of 'do as I say, not as I do' late last week on backups. But I got it fixed over the weekend and am ready to move forward.
    -Fleetwood Mac