Options

Lightroom preview question

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited January 14, 2011 in Finishing School
Ok, I'm feeling very Lightroom-stupid right now.

As I scrub through my collections, the Navigator preview displays the first photo in each collection. That's all well and good except that sometimes the first photo isn't a good indicator of the rest of the photos in the collection. On the other hand, I'd prefer to keep my collections in their sorted order. Is there a way to make an image in a collection the "key" image to display in the preview *without* changing the order of the images in the catalog?

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Key being shown in the Navigator by default (not the first)? I don’t believe so.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    Bummer. I will have to submit a feature request, then.
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2011
    MarkR wrote: »
    Bummer. I will have to submit a feature request, then.

How would LR know which of the images in the collection to show initially? The default (show first image in collection) makes sense as a default. But if you wanted the 3rd image to be shown, you’d have to know you want the 3rd image to be shown (meaning you looked at it). In the next collection, it might be the 5th. I’m not sure how we’d configure this. So the default (show the first image in the collection) kind of makes sense.
    Andrew Rodney
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2011
    The idea would be that I would be able to go into a collection (or a folder or whatever), and choose an image that I felt was representative of that collection as a whole, and "tag" it to show up in the preview, instead of the first image. That way, a year or two from now as I'm scrubbing through collections, I can be visually reminded of what's in the collection without having to stop and view the entire thing.

I believe Aperture has this kind of functionality and I liked using it during my trial period.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2011
    You can soft collections and smart collections. So how about sorting by color label. When you find the one image you want to represent the collection, give it a color (blue). Sort by Color Label. The first image you colored will be the first image in the collection and automatically the default image seen in the Navigator.
    Andrew Rodney