New alptop windows 7 64 bit. Version 17.1 not downloading RAW

BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
edited January 16, 2011 in Finishing School
Kind of up the wall here, I have no clue why. Maybe the Solution Disk (Canon 5D / not Mark II) is not compatible?
Thanks a bunch. (Canon)
Ara & Spirit
The Oasis of my Soul our Blog and Life Therapy...
My Gallery in progress...
On the road, homeless, with my buddy Spirit...

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Do you have all the current adobe updates.....are you using Photoshop or another processing software????
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BeemerChefBeemerChef Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Do you have all the current adobe updates.....are you using Photoshop or another processing software????

I only use Adobe Lighroom 3. It is actually only a problem of moving the RAW images from the camera into this new laptop using their (Canon) disk as I always have. I think I will go and get me a card reader this morning... see if that will work as it should. I was trying to avoid that scenario.

Be well... Ara & Spirit

PS: I just read somewhere that Canon is not supporting their 5D with windows 7 and specially 64 bit.
  • bgarlandbgarland Registered Users Posts: 761 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Hi Ara (& Spirit). :-)

Have you tried just using LR3 to directly import the RAW files from your camera? I would think that should work around any incompatibility with the Canon software.

PS. I am TucsonT4R on EXPO.
    edited January 13, 2011
    bgarland wrote: »
    Hi Ara (& Spirit). :-)

Have you tried just using LR3 to directly import the RAW files from your camera? I would think that should work around any incompatibility with the Canon software.

PS. I am TucsonT4R on EXPO.

Ah!!! Never thought about it! (amateur ignoramus here!!!).
    I will try that when we get back to Texas. Yes, my LR3 copy stayed behind as I did not know I would find this great laptop here on sale! i7, 8GB Ram, lighted keyboard for the tent (!!!). I was just going to use any other software to process till I am reunited with LR3! (bummer...)
    Not to get off the subject but did Redington rd yesterday. In an SUV, no hack for us till Feb. 10th after this double hernia surgery... You have some great getaways around here. Thank you.

Be well... Ara & Spirit
    edited January 13, 2011
    BeemerChef wrote: »
    Ah!!! Never thought about it! (amateur ignoramus here!!!).
    I will try that when we get back to Texas. Yes, my LR3 copy stayed behind as I did not know I would find this great laptop here on sale! i7, 8GB Ram, lighted keyboard for the tent (!!!). I was just going to use any other software to process till I am reunited with LR3! (bummer...)
    Not to get off the subject but did Redington rd yesterday. In an SUV, no hack for us till Feb. 10th after this double hernia surgery... You have some great getaways around here. Thank you.

Be well... Ara & Spirit

Double hernia surgery.eek7.gif That doesn't sound fun. Are you here in Tucson for awhile? If so let out a yell if you need anything during your visit. Happy to help if I can.
    edited January 13, 2011
    Double hernia surgery.eek7.gif That doesn't sound fun. Are you here in Tucson for awhile? If so let out a yell if you need anything during your visit. Happy to help if I can.

Thanks Brad. Staying with my Friend here probably another week or so. Cannot ride till Feb.10th. Dr said.... hmmm.... let me know if you know of other rds like Redington rd, besides the one that forks off toward Benson.
    Be well.... Ara & Spirit
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Have your tried just dragging and dropping on the laptop: hooing the cam to comp by usb cable...it should show up either as a removable drive or as a hdd by cam name...My D300 shows up a a Nikon d300 and when I clik it shows the first file folder DCIM and when that is clicked I get 2nd folder that contains the pix....then I just highlight and drag & drop them to the folder I want to store in.......no need for software or card reader....it does wear down the batt faster....but that is what re-chargers are for...... Heal Quickly.....

Edit....I am doing this with a Dell Studio 1745 with win 7 64 on it......just thought I might need to specify that, so you did not
    think I was on a 32 bit machine :~}}
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited January 13, 2011
    Art Scott wrote: »
    Have your tried just dragging and dropping on the laptop: hooing the cam to comp by usb cable...it should show up either as a removable drive or as a hdd by cam name...My D300 shows up a a Nikon d300 and when I clik it shows the first file folder DCIM and when that is clicked I get 2nd folder that contains the pix....then I just highlight and drag & drop them to the folder I want to store in.......no need for software or card reader....it does wear down the batt faster....but that is what re-chargers are for...... Heal Quickly.....

Edit....I am doing this with a Dell Studio 1745 with win 7 64 on it......just thought I might need to specify that, so you did not
    think I was on a 32 bit machine :~}}

Of course I never thought about it!... Will try it for sure.
    As a sidenote since I left my AL3 disk behind I am trying Bibble, their free Pro trial for 14 days... more chinese to me!!!
    Amazing how some people are smarter than others on these aspects. I so much prefer a kitchen!!! :D
    Be well... Ara & Spirit
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    The Digital Photo Pro that came with the 5D will not be compatible with the latest operating systems from Windows, but the latest version of DPP should work fine with Windows 7, I suspect, and should be backward compatible with 5D RAW files.

LR3 should read you files from a card reader just fine. LR3 does read my 5D files just fine ( in an alternate universe OS X )

I will see you at the Overland Expo in March/April Ara .
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 13, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    The Digital Photo Pro that came with the 5D will not be compatible with the latest operating systems from Windows, but the latest version of DPP should work fine with Windows 7, I suspect, and should be backward compatible with 5D RAW files.

LR3 should read you files from a card reader just fine. LR3 does read my 5D files just fine ( in an alternate universe OS X )

I will see you at the Overland Expo in March/April Ara .

As mentionned before to just make matters complicated my AL3 is 600 miles away! The solution is becoming clearer... unless someone knows of a free processing software that also converts RAW to Jpeg. Does not have to be the greatest! Just to use for a week or two... How much fun is all this! Got to love technology... :D

Be well... always

Ara & Spirit

PS: OX is April 1st... I think!
    edited January 13, 2011
    As mentionned before to just make matters complicated my AL3 is 600 miles away! The solution is becoming clearer... unless someone knows of a free processing software that also converts RAW to Jpeg. Does not have to be the greatest! Just to use for a week or two... How much fun is all this! Got to love technology... :D

Be well... always

Ara & Spirit

PS: OX is April 1st... I think!

You can always use the Brad service. :-) If you either email me or upload your RAW images to an online gallery I can get to, I can download them, convert them to JPG and upload them back to your gallery. Just another option if you need something in the short term.
    edited January 13, 2011
    You can always use the Brad service. :-) If you either email me or upload your RAW images to an online gallery I can get to, I can download them, convert them to JPG and upload them back to your gallery. Just another option if you need something in the short term.

Ah! That is so kind. I end up using the DDP software which does work for the few photos I post on our Journal. I'll do the rest when we get back soon. That was a great idea though, great thinking!

Be well... Ara & Spirit
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    Ziggy has mentioned RawTherapee - I have never used it, but it is cheap 5-25 dollar donation suggested.

There are others listed here - http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/1717/free-raw-editors-converters-on-windows
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited January 15, 2011
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Ziggy has mentioned RawTherapee - I have never used it, but it is cheap 5-25 dollar donation suggested.

There are others listed here - http://photo.stackexchange.com/questions/1717/free-raw-editors-converters-on-windows

Well, there is a moral to all of this!
    Never get a new laptop after surgery while away... I found my AL3 disk!... It was with me the whole time...
    Thank you all for the help and sorry for the commotion if any! ne_nau.gif
    Be well... Ara & Spirit
    edited January 16, 2011
    Well, there is a moral to all of this!
    Never get a new laptop after surgery while away... I found my AL3 disk!... It was with me the whole time...
    Thank you all for the help and sorry for the commotion if any! ne_nau.gif
    Be well... Ara & Spirit

rolleyes1.gifPretty funny. Now put the pain meds down and step away. :D