Tasmania, Australia

Canon 40D, 35mm f1.4L

Neil
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    Overall, I like it. Your choice of shutter speed captured a bit of the motion of the windmill. It might be even nicer at a lower shutter speed to capture even more motion next time. Crop is a bit tight to the left; I'm wanting to see the rest of the shed to the left that was cut off. I'm digging the overall scene and colors though. thumb.gif
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    kdog wrote: »
    Overall, I like it. Your choice of shutter speed captured a bit of the motion of the windmill. It might be even nicer at a lower shutter speed to capture even more motion next time. Crop is a bit tight to the left; I'm wanting to see the rest of the shed to the left that was cut off. I'm digging the overall scene and colors though. thumb.gif

Thanks for the crits Joel. Much appreciated.

This old building is on a wool and sheep stud property. The present shearing shed is a big, sleek, tech enhanced affair. As typical, the unused corners of a farm accumulate odds and ends, so there was a bit of clutter in the vicinity of the old shed which didn't particularly add to the idea. The bit of a wall behind the shed is modern... some reasons for the crop (this was landscape orientation).

The blades of the windmill were really spinning in a stiff breeze, and the top was also swinging this way and that (and I was hand holding). I didn't quite know what I wanted with that, except that I wanted the words "Southern Cross" there, they are a big identity-nostalgia hit for rural Aussies. As you say, might well have been nicer with more motion in the blades (I could order it in now from PS!). As often the case... compromise!:D Also, must convince myself to take more versions while I'm on the spot.

A very simple shot, but in a few different ways with some iconic significance for rural Aussies.

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix