Options

Fire & Water

thebassmanthebassman Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited July 4, 2004 in Holy Macro
There's a contest going on at another photography site where you have to take a picture of Fire & Water together... any ideas for that? What would be the best way to expose for both dusk reflections on the water, as well as fire in the foreground without under or over exposing?

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    thebassman wrote:
    There's a contest going on at another photography site where you have to take a picture of Fire & Water together... any ideas for that? What would be the best way to expose for both dusk reflections on the water, as well as fire in the foreground without under or over exposing?

i'd shoot it like i do a sunset. spot meter just off the brightest part of the fire - not on it but just off of the brightest part. then overexpose from there, by 2/3s of a stop and a full stop. this way, you shouldn't have a completely blown fire (the hottest part will be white) and you are maxing the exposure for the rest of the darker areas. shooting in raw if you have it will help, as you can develop multiple exposures in post and blend.

good luck, share the results!
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    andy wrote:
    i'd shoot it like i do a sunset. spot meter just off the brightest part of the fire - not on it but just off of the brightest part. then overexpose from there, by 2/3s of a stop and a full stop. this way, you shouldn't have a completely blown fire (the hottest part will be white) and you are maxing the exposure for the rest of the darker areas. shooting in raw if you have it will help, as you can develop multiple exposures in post and blend.

good luck, share the results!

I agree with Andy. If the rules allowed, I would shoot multiple exposures & blend.

I had a chance to look at the forum. It looks nice & new. How long has it been online? What are the goals with the site?

Thanks for the info.
    Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I agree with Andy. If the rules allowed, I would shoot multiple exposures & blend.

I had a chance to look at the forum. It looks nice & new. How long has it been online? What are the goals with the site?

Thanks for the info.
    Dave

but, it's a fire, so you can't do multiple exposures, really, i think. might get a bit hinky.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited July 3, 2004
    Technically speaking a sunset/rise over water should qualify as fire and water shouldn't it? :):) Just a thought...
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited July 4, 2004
    andy wrote:
    but, it's a fire, so you can't do multiple exposures, really, i think. might get a bit hinky.

Depending on his composition & what he was using for a fire, I don't see why you can't use multiple exposures? Maybe we are thinking of two different things.

Dave