Ch 47 - Attempt 1 - 4

dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
edited September 19, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
So far this has been the most difficult challenge for me to shoot because: 1) I'm not good at shooting people; 2) I don't think I'm particularly photogenic. Of the scores of photos I took these are the only ones where I don't have that "deer caught in the headlights" look. After seeing all the creative entries mine seem really boring. Oh well, here goes... Comments and critiques welcome.

Self Portrait #1
36473110-M.jpg

Self Portrait #2
36472897-L.jpg

Self Portrait #3
35983166-L.jpg

And an accidental self portrait.

"Is This Thing On?"
36449839-M.jpg

Comments

• lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2005
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    So far this has been the most difficult challenge for me to shoot because: 1) I'm not good at shooting people; 2) I don't think I'm particularly photogenic. Of the scores of photos I took these are the only ones where I don't have that "deer caught in the headlights" look. After seeing all the creative entries mine seem really boring. Oh well, here goes... Comments and critiques welcome.

Self Portrait #1

Self Portrait #2

Self Portrait #3

And an accidental self portrait.

"Is This Thing On?"
    I think this one is really cool!
    36473110-L.jpg

maybe you could curve it a little and bring out the eyes a little more.. I think the lighting is great.. go for it thumb.gif
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    Thanks Lynn, I'll try that.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    Definitely #1, for me, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    #1 is best. I like to use the gradient map adjustment with black and white. Sometimes it helps the contrast.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    Dan,

#1 is pretty good! I can't really say what will win this one over but my guess it'll either be creativity, mood, or elegance. There are some very creative shots there and I think they'll probably end up taking the win but...it would be nice to see a classic/elegant portrait in the competition. Maybe it's just me but there's something really engaging about a portrait like that. I think your first shot starts to go down this route. Great entry!

Erich
    I think #1 needs a touch of sharpening--on the original, and then run this b/w conversion on it. It's a great image, and the conversion in that PDF is really great, too. I think together, you'll have a winner.

Edit: I guess you can't link directly to the pdf. Got to gormanphotography.com, click on learn and you'll see it there.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Sandy wrote:
    #1 is best. I like to use the gradient map adjustment with black and white. Sometimes it helps the contrast.
    Thanks Sandy!
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think #1 needs a touch of sharpening--on the original, and then run this b/w conversion on it. It's a great image, and the conversion in that PDF is really great, too. I think together, you'll have a winner.

Edit: I guess you can't link directly to the pdf. Got to gormanphotography.com, click on learn and you'll see it there.
    Thanks for the info David. What an amazing site! I'll try Gorman's method for bw conversion.
    erich6 wrote:
    Dan,

#1 is pretty good! I can't really say what will win this one over but my guess it'll either be creativity, mood, or elegance. There are some very creative shots there and I think they'll probably end up taking the win but...it would be nice to see a classic/elegant portrait in the competition. Maybe it's just me but there's something really engaging about a portrait like that. I think your first shot starts to go down this route. Great entry!

Erich
    Thanks for feedback Erich. I agree, there are some really creative entries in this challenge. This one is going to be tough.
  • aurafloraauraflora Registered Users Posts: 471 Major grins
    Hi there...

Let's first start by saying that, you are photogenic. Ok? Now, with that out of the way--I like photo number 2. I like the minimalism of the frame and your positioning within it. I like the color tone as well--lends a certain level of melanocholy--both the color and your expression.

Good luck with the challenge.

Michal
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Number 1
    It says more about who you are! I agree with the comments of trying to bring out your eyes more.
    Dee wrote:
    It says more about who you are!

Yeah, like he has 2 tripods!
    Moderator Emeritus
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, like he has 2 tripods!
    Yup. I only use the Manfrotto as a prop. rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks Michal, I appreciate your feedback.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    I love #1. clap.gifclap.gif It is elegant and would be a really good portrait of anyone. Nice that it is of you. :): If you can improve it technically along the lines suggested (bring out the eyes a bit more etc.), fine. But IMHO it is a worthy entry. thumb.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide to enter.

Va.

BTW, I got a kick out of your accidental portrait. rolleyes1.gif

Email
    So you entered #1. Nice choice. What did you end up doing in PS?
    Moderator Emeritus
    edited September 19, 2005
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I love #1. clap.gifclap.gif It is elegant and would be a really good portrait of anyone. Nice that it is of you. :): If you can improve it technically along the lines suggested (bring out the eyes a bit more etc.), fine. But IMHO it is a worthy entry. thumb.gif

Good luck with whatever you decide to enter.

Va.

BTW, I got a kick out of your accidental portrait. rolleyes1.gif
    Thanks Va. I've decide to re-edit and enter #1.

BTW, I really like your entry. thumb.gifthumb
    DavidTO wrote:
    So you entered #1. Nice choice. What did you end up doing in PS?
    Hi David
    I decided to use Gorman's BW conversion. Thanks again for the link! Then I applied some selective levels adjustment around the face and sharpening around the eyes.
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    Hi David
    I decided to use Gorman's BW conversion. Thanks again for the link! Then I applied some selective levels adjustment around the face and sharpening around the eyes.

It came out nice. I like how the wall got a bit darker, knocking it back in the image a bit.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    Yeah....nice entry pic. Well done. If you are only using that manfroto as a prop....how 'bout sending it my way? ne_nau.gif:D I'll spring for shipping. :uhoh

Good luck

BMP
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com