Need input from Oly E-30 Owners

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited January 15, 2011 in Cameras
Been shooting youth sports for a few years with my Oly 510. I am looking to upgrade but undecided on where to go with it. I currently use a Sigma f2.8 70-200mm to shoot. The down side is that I am not getting quality shots on the basketball court. I am asking if the Oly E-30 body will give me better results? I wonder if the ISO 3200 on the E-30 will improve shutter speed. Any input is appriciated.
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    The question is why are you not getting quality shots? Too much noise? Too slow shutter speeds? Technique maybe? Tell what you want the camera to do better. High ISO?
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    If shutter speed is your problem, the e30 will give you an extra stop of ISO over the 510. That's pretty much it.

Other than that, there's nothing the e30 can do that the e510 can't.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 13, 2011
    Yes, I believe that the Olympus E-30 would be a step in the right direction for a couple of reasons:
    1. Better high-ISO/low-light capability with lower noise levels at high ISOs.
    2. Better AF section.

While I don't believe that the E-30 is quite up to the high-ISO standards of the E-620/E-600 cameras, it is still very good and much better than the E-5xx series cameras.

I believe that the E-30 has the ability to use the faster autofocus capabilities of the Olympus Zuiko Digital Supersonic Wave Drive lenses. That does does mean that in order to exploit the full capabilities of the camera's AF speed you might need to purchase their better and best lenses. (Not cheap I'm afraid and only a few have the Supersonic Wave Drive.)

Unfortunately, the E-30 does not have the extra AF sensitivity and AF speed of the Canon 1D/1D MKII cameras I mentioned in the other thread. The difference is that the Canon cameras mentioned have an "Area SIR" (Secondary Image Rangefinder) AF sensor versus the E-30s more conventional "Cross-Type SIR" AF sensor.

Canon is not unique in the Area SIR sensor, but only Nikon also uses the system in their top tier cameras. (Nikon is less forthcoming about their AF technology but it appears that that the "single digit" Nikons as well as the D700 all seam to have this technology. The D300/D300s may also have an Area SIR sensor but it is not as clear which AF technology it includes.)

Bottom line, the E-30 is a much better camera than you have but you also need better lenses with Supersonic Wave Drive to take advantage and supply the best AF speeds, and then it still may not be as fast in low light as a camera with the more advanced Area SIR AF sensor and an appropriate sports lens.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    Ziggy is, as always, right on. :D

I guess my point is that if all you did was swap an e30 for your e510 you might not get the results you're after. You're going to have to spend more for a lens that can take advantage of the e30. The 50-200 SWD is nice, but it will cost more than the e30 itself.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2011
    The question is why are you not getting quality shots? Too much noise? Too slow shutter speeds? Technique maybe? Tell what you want the camera to do better. High ISO?

Shooting at ISO 1600 on my Oly-510, I am doing good to get a shutter speed of about 125. Still way to slow for youth soccer. Also I get so much noise that it is not worth shooting sometimes. Last week I shot with a flash at ISO 800 and was able to get some decent shots at 160 to 180 shutter speed. I guess what I am after is a setup that will be able to give me decent shots in low light conditions without breaking the bank.
    Yes I did look at the OLY 50-200mm lens awhile back. What kept me from buying it was going to the 3.5 at the end of the zoom. The Sigma I have is f2.8 through the whole glass. I mainly shoot in M or A mode. This coming Sunday I will shoot some at ISO 1600 with no flash to give everyone a better feel of what I am talking about. Once again, thank you very much for the input.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
    edited January 13, 2011
    The Canon 7D comes to mind, but that's at least $1000. I don't know Olympus.
    edited January 14, 2011
    The Canon 7D comes to mind, but that's at least $1000. I don't know Olympus.

Yeah I would love to have a 7D but I think it is a little out of my reach.
  • Wicked_DarkWicked_Dark Registered Users Posts: 1,138 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    I use an E-30 almost every day, but unfortunately my targets do not move as fast as yours. With the improved focus and IQ it gives you, it certainly won't be worse than the E-510 so if you plan to stick w/the brand I'd go for it.
    edited January 14, 2011
    Can you rent an E-30? That would give you an opportunity to see if you like it. If not, then you can sell your sigma 70-200 and buy it for whatever brand you switch to.
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    FYI - used E-30's are going for ~$650, a used 50-200mm SWD is ~$700.

I moved from the E-510 to the E-30 and have absolutely no regrets.

Then I sold my two E-510's ($450) and purchased a used E-3 ($650)

Anything over iso 400 on the E-510 needed noiseware, on the E-3 I have my auto iso set to 800, on the E-30 it's set to 1200.

Cheers, Don
    edited January 14, 2011
    Don Kondra wrote: »
    FYI - used E-30's are going for ~$650, a used 50-200mm SWD is ~$700.

I moved from the E-510 to the E-30 and have absolutely no regrets.

Then I sold my two E-510's ($450) and purchased a used E-3 ($650)

Anything over iso 400 on the E-510 needed noiseware, on the E-3 I have my auto iso set to 800, on the E-30 it's set to 1200.

Cheers, Don

How is the E-30 shoot in action sports?
  • Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    I don't do sports but it does fine with hummingbirds :):)

For more Oly specific "talk" you may want to visit http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/

Cheers, Don
  • InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Love my E-30
    And loved the E-510 before it. Now, you certainly get the extra stop ISO wise with the E-30 and Olympus's in camera noise management, if you're shooting JPEG, does a good job. Also, with the E-30, you get a nice, professional grade AF system (I still haven't needed to learn how to use it fully for my photography) and a far nicer VF.

So, my only reservation at this point is this: Is one extra stop good enough given your worse case lighting scenario?