Canon 50D with EF 75-300mm lens.

b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
edited January 15, 2011 in Cameras
OK everyone knows that I am in the market for un upgrade from my Oly 510. Today I found a Canon 50D with a 75-300mm EF lens (Open Box Item) at one of our local big box stores. Price is $999.00 plus tax. Will this get me into shooting better indoor sports? I know the lens is not a prime lens, but that can be added later. What are you thoughts?
Once again, thanks for your input.
Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.

Comments

• Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    b08rsa wrote: »
    OK everyone knows that I am in the market for un upgrade from my Oly 510. Today I found a Canon 50D with a 75-300mm EF lens (Open Box Item) at one of our local big box stores. Price is $999.00 plus tax. Will this get me into shooting better indoor sports? I know the lens is not a prime lens, but that can be added later. What are you thoughts?
    Once again, thanks for your input.

you might want to take a pass on this one!
    The 75-300 is one of the worst telephoto zooms, indoors or out.
    The 50D is good for sports but newer models like the 7D, 60D, etc. are better. Refurbished 50D's sell for less, used 50Ds go for as low as $600 so all-in-all - not so good a "deal" !
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2011
    This is NOT a good deal... what Brett said:D I would add that the 75-300 is THE worst telephoto zoom that Canon makes, and it can be found for like $150 (depending on whether it's the USM version or the IS USM version, or neither--yeah, they make 3 different ones). Since the 50D is like around $600 used, even if the 50D was new it would not be a good deal.

The 50D is good for shooting sports. It's definitely got fast AF. The 60D might be better but I'm really not in a position to compare, having used neither. I know both have their advantages.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 14, 2011
    ... The 50D is good for shooting sports. It's definitely got fast AF. The 60D might be better but I'm really not in a position to compare, having used neither. I know both have their advantages.

The Canon 40D/50D/60D all appear to have a very similar AF sensor. They also share the same image processor, which manages the data from the AF sensor and steers the lens to focus.

Edit:I messed up as the 40D uses the previous image processor, Digic III. The 50D and 60D both use Digic IV.

There are some variations between the way the different models handle the AI-Servo focus program, but otherwise they appear to be very similar in overall AF performance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ThatCanonGuyThatCanonGuy Registered Users Posts: 1,778 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    The Canon 40D/50D/60D all appear to have a very similar AF sensor. They also share the same image processor, which manages the data from the AF sensor and steers the lens to focus.

Edit:I messed up as the 40D uses the previous image processor, Digic III. The 50D and 60D both use Digic IV.

There are some variations between the way the different models handle the AI-Servo focus program, but otherwise they appear to be very similar in overall AF performance.

I'd add that just because the 40D has Digic III doesn't mean it has incapable AF. It has very good AF. I've seen it used to shoot fast-action sports and it does very well.
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2011
    Thanks everyone for the GREAT info. Since is does not seem to be a good buy, I am going to pass on it.
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.